7 Replies - 888 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Should I change grad schools?

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I just finished my first semester at VCU and I live in Richmond, VA. The school is nice, but their PhD programs aren't exactly overflowing with funds. One professor, told me that I might be better off going to a different school for my PhD program... I'm inclined to agree. Further, Richmond is a terrible location from a technology perspective. There just aren't enough jobs here, I can't find a decent-paying steady job to save my life. There are A LOT of jobs in the DC area AND George Mason University is up there. Great school, lots of work, sounds great.

My question is, do you guys think it's in my best interest to move? I'm told that finding a job in that area is extremely easy AND I think I can find a place to live at $500 cheaper than here. On the other hand, I just finished my first semester, and I realize that I might have to repeat the semester. It's a big decision, and I could really some external opinions.

Thanks,
#atraub

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Should I change grad schools?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I change grad schools?

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I didn't realize you were in Richmond too! I can't really speak to VCU as a grad school. In terms of the Richmond area, it's a very .NET town, so you might have some trouble finding Python related jobs. There are a good number of Java EE jobs as well. Have you checked Innsbrook for jobs? It's a business center out in the west end in the short pump area. There are a bunch of IT firms. CapTech is also right down by VCU. You could also check out Dominion Virginia Power for a job. I know they hire a lot of interns, but I'm not familiar with their hiring process otherwise. I do know that they can work their employees pretty hard, though. Also, just a heads up- taxes are cheaper in Henrico vs. the city of Richmond.

I'm not that familiar with DC or the various grad school programs myself. Hope this helps some though. Good luck with everything!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

I know, for development work I ONLY do .NET anymore. Admittedly, it's the only way I found my last job. Dude, you're in Richmond?!?!

I'm familiar with innsbrook, I had jobs out there for about a year. I'll check into some of those places asap.

This post has been edited by atraub: 26 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

As with all life decisions, it's a matter of priorities. Is there a specific reason to stay? Family, or a meaningful relationship?

If you feel as if moving could mean that you get a more respected degree, then go for it. Or better yet, see if they have correspondence courses. That way you wouldn't have to move and you'd get a good degree.

However, in terms of finding job satisfaction and growing as a human being, sometimes it's better to step outside of your comfort zone.

I'm in favor of moving if it means that you get a better degree. In the long run it seems like the more fruitful option.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm really not sure how VCU compares to GMU. VCU is really respected in terms of engineering, but I don't know if that transfers into Computer Science. On the other hand, I don't know about GMU either, but I think it's reasonable to believe that due to their proximity to DC and the demand for programmers in that area, there's a good chance that they've been dumping money into everything Computer Science.

I feel like this is a reasonable assumption, but I just don't know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Well that would be the kind of information that you should be gathering before you make your decision.

Do you have access to graduates/pamphlets/statistics or things such as that?

I live in a different country entirely, things might be different over there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

It's hard to find data of that sort, but I have been looking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ask the schools they're required by feds to make that stuff available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1