Page 1 of 1

Creating a Star Field Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

POPULAR

Hello, D.I.C.

Today I'm going to show you how you can make a (realistic) star field, with the most basic tools. This is highly customisable, so you don't have to follow step-by-step and you can set your own options where I may set mine different by personal opinion.

First of all, we want to start off with out canvas, so create a new image with with the resolution you would like.

Posted Image

Press "d" to reset the colours, and paint you canvas black.

Go to "Filter" > "Noise" > "Add Noise"

Here are the settings I chose, although "Monochomatic" should be checked.

Posted Image

Next, go to "Image" > "Adjustments" > "Threshold"

Here's where you choose the amount of "stars" you would like. Don't choose too many, we'll generate double the amount you choose here in a moment.

Posted Image

Hit CTRL + J to duplicate our "star" layer, press CTRL + T to enter "Transform" mode, then right click your layer and rotate 180

Posted Image

Select the newest layer, and set the blend mode to "Screen"

Now you have a nice, star field, yes? Let's continue and make it realistic.

Create a new layer, fill it black and make it the bottom layer.

Posted Image

Grab your rubber/eraser tool, and randomly erase areas out to give a bit of depth. Don't forget to do this on both layers. Don't worry about empty patches - we'll solve that shortly.

Posted Image

(SAVE NOW)

Select your top layer and hit CTRL + E twise, this will merge your layers together. Go to "Filter" > "Blur" > "Gaussian Blur."

For the radius, I used "0.4" - but this is down to your discretion.

Now, our star field has a bit of depth and life to it, doesn't just look like a collection of white dots. Let's continue again to really bring it alive!

Select your Clone Stamp tool (S) and give your stars some feeling. Again, this is to your discretion, so don't stop 'till you're happy - this may take a few attempts to get right, by your own standards.

Don't forget, instead of moving stars around, you can change the blend mode at the top to "Screen" - this will intensify your stars.

Posted Image

Now you've got your star field, with different depths and such. What can we do now to make it look a little better? Duplicate your layer, head to "Filter" > "Blur" > "Gaussian Blur." I set my range to 7, but this is up to you.

Wow, we can't see a great deal now, eh? Hit CTRL + B to bring up your colour balence, and choose a desired colour. This will work as a glow for the most intense stars.

Posted Image

Now set your blend mode to "Linear Dodge (Add)" - that should have now added a nice glow

Posted Image

There's your star field! This will be different everytime you follow this tutorial! Don't stop trying if you're not happy with your first attempt.

For a little more "umph" you can add a lens flare and/or clouds, just to give your star field a little character.

Adding the lens flare

Create a new layer CTRL + Shift + N

Paint your layer black
Head to "Filter" > "Render" > "Lens Flare"

Posted Image

With your layer selected, set your layers blend mode to "Screen"

Posted Image

Adding clouds

Create a new layer CTRL + Shift + N

Press "D" to set your colours to default

Go to "Filter" > "Render" > "Clouds"

Press CTRL + B to change the colour (choose your prefered)

Simply choose your blend mode of the clouds.
  • Hard Light
  • Colour Dodge
  • Divide (intensify the stars)
  • Linear Dodge (Add)

Posted Image

I hope you found this tutorial helpful and hope you'll be able to use the information at a later date.

Thank you for reading

~huzi

This post has been edited by GunnerInc: 27 May 2012 - 03:09 PM
Reason for edit:: Fixed broken img tag

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Page 1 of 1