• +

32 Replies - 3680 Views - Last Post: 29 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

The Future Of Programming

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hey guys. I have a question for you.

Where do you see programming in, let's say 10, even 40-50 years?
It's strange but, I can't see any real progression. your intuition might yell at me "what are you talking about", but hear me out.

The reason I can't see any progression is because: How more advanced can you get?
So you have control over data manipulation (with it all the algorithms you use to manipulate photos, audio files, video files etc.) but what can be next? what else can we humans create that will advance our programming?

So you can say: We can invent new languages which offer to do those data manipulation tasks (even drastically) better, but chances are that programmers will still use lower languages for better control (hence: better memory management and performances. In my personal world it's C# which I find it extremely advanced, and C++ which I find primitive but at the end of the day, I see myself using C++)

I also want to mention that in the way I see it, the only place we actually can progress and advance, is hardware.
Print files, play audio, and generally: input/output devices. those actual operations are not program. sure, they use programming but at their core, it's the hardware that counts.

So in conclusion, if this is true, the only advancements we can make (at this generation at least) is only with hardware (such as electronics engineering). I hope this is not the case so please - burst my bubble.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Future Of Programming

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Future Of Programming

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

So in conclusion, if this is true, the only advancements we can make (at this generation at least) is only with hardware (such as electronics engineering). I hope this is not the case so please - burst my bubble.

Ah, no.

First off - define 'advancement' in your eyes. What does that mean?

Right now we have seen a revolution in mobile development.. leaner and smaller footprints for mobile devices and such. Next is just the whole touch input computing.. then there's the kinect and that 'touchless' based options.. Revamping websites and how to redo the whole foundation for the internet.. apps that gel together more.. Then there's virtualized apps, processes, and operating systems. There are now TVs with wifi and base level systems on them that are more akin to a computer than a tV.. media streaming needs to be compacted.. on and on and on..

More APIs for connecting across platforms and unified ids.. increases in searching mass quantities of data.. etc. .etc.. but then again that should suffice for any homework paper this might be used for in the near future. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

but chances are that programmers will still use lower languages for better control (hence: better memory management and performances.

I don't think that this will be on many programmers minds at all in the future. Hardware performance will come to a point where most people don't care about speed any more (well not the odd millisecond here and there anyway).

Of course this also comes with it's problems. Not worrying about efficiency could mean that a lot of people end up writing horrible code - just because (in terms of performance anyway) they have no reason to do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 May 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Ah, no.

First off - define 'advancement' in your eyes. What does that mean?

Right now we have seen a revolution in mobile development.. leaner and smaller footprints for mobile devices and such. Next is just the whole touch input computing.. then there's the kinect and that 'touchless' based options.. Revamping websites and how to redo the whole foundation for the internet.. apps that gel together more.. Then there's virtualized apps, processes, and operating systems. There are now TVs with wifi and base level systems on them that are more akin to a computer than a tV.. media streaming needs to be compacted.. on and on and on..

More APIs for connecting across platforms and unified ids.. increases in searching mass quantities of data.. etc. .etc.. but then again that should suffice for any homework paper this might be used for in the near future. ;)

Those are very good points, but by advancement I mean things we haven't seen before.
Creation of new technologies.
Virtualization, TVs, Wifi, Mobiles, Touches. all those stuff either already exist and you can develop it a bit further, or they're based on hardware.

It hurts me as an individual programmer by using the same things (in my area of work).
It's always, of course, WinAPI which is good, but then everything is the same!

Windows for example didn't leave us much room to really create our own stuff. example: what you're really working with is messages sent by windows.
So let's take it further, to even a foolish task like making your window flip itself in a 3D perspective, or stuff like that (that may be useless and pointless) - not possible in "conventional" means. hope I'm clear enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

Those are very good points, but by advancement I mean things we haven't seen before.

Then go flip through comp sci department websites and see what they are up to.

or they're based on hardware.

Well, duh. Programs have to run on hardware - somewhere!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 May 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Could you provide me with an example for such a website?

Exactly my point.
At the end, the hardware is the foundation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

View Postpokiaka, on 28 May 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 May 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Could you provide me with an example for such a website?

link

View Postpokiaka, on 28 May 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Exactly my point.
At the end, the hardware is the foundation.

*sigh* Yes because I have a keyboard and a mouse I am unable to create a plethora of various software and applications.. nor that any revolution in programming has ever really occurred since again.. it's all a keyboard and mouse.

What you are saying is akin to "Well the Model T has a engine and steering wheel - yup.. any more research or innovation won't be coming out of this tech tree! Alright boys - pack up those specs we are done here!". You are not being clear what you are expecting out side of "anything that might come up that hasn't come up".. Hell if I knew what was going to be big in forty years do you think I would be sitting on it? Nope. You really need to define the scope of what you are looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

I agree that the prompt is a bit ambiguous, so I am going to go ahead and post the way I take it.

I don't think that programming is going to die at all. There will always be new devices that come out and have different ways to program for. That is just life. Personally, I see holographic displaus and wall-sized screens becoming something that is common. I also see quantum computing becoming something more developed, and (while maybe not mainstream) probably used in the government.

I'll link to this video, it is the way I see things heading:
http://www.microsoft.../office/vision/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

I see the technology evolving to allow Big Business to further erode the sovereignty of governments, eliminating Democracy in favor of Corporate Lordship. It will be an admented reality, but seedier, like Pottersville on crack.

What this will mean for programming and computer languages is that they'll be aimed at giving more and more control of individually owned computers to corporations. We're seeing the beginnings of this now, with Facebook and its ever changing "privacy" policies and the implied necessity of having and using an account to do things on other web sites. The long sought "convergence" of TV and computer is another step, if only as a psychological ploy to train people to no longer think of their computers as tools for getting information and start accepting them as advertising mediums that can follow them everywhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

View Postpokiaka, on 28 May 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Where do you see programming in, let's say 10, even 40-50 years?

Do you have 10 years of programming past? If not, then you really have a short level of experience. Without much exposure one cannot look far into the future.

View Postpokiaka, on 28 May 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

The reason I can't see any progression is because: How more advanced can you get?

The web is still relatively new. HTML only just became a standard in 1995. Now we are ready to adapt to HTML5 which is dynamic, & has the ability to overcome (& possibly replace?) Adobe Flash.

We're only just starting to chip away at the potential of the 64 bit platform on the desktop level, with applications & software.

Go to the gaming side of things, what a breakthrough Doom was, back in 1993, & then again 1995. It was completely normal for a 1 or 2 man shop to pump out software titles. Gaming consoles today are incredibly advanced, computing devices that require enormous efforts to even think about creating a game.

Nothing new? When before have you seen anyone accomplish this.

or this.

You are incredibly wrong, imo. In the grand scheme of computing, & information, we're just getting started buddy.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

this has to be one of the most naive ideas I've ever heard. we've been creating new programing languages to better accomplish tasks for years and years now and it's a very active field. programing language theory is an active field of study even. with better hardware comes more advanced things we can do with software. better ideas are ever increasing with what we can do with what we have now. new tasks that need new solutions are always going to exist. better ways of thinking about things will arise. literally everything can be improved. in fact, if anything there is more of a limit on hardware than software. software is an open slate, hardware can only get so small(predictions that by 2020 we will have atom sized transistors, particle sized circuits aren't far behind), at the point we will have to go into something like quantum computing to get better hardware. moors law will break long before any similar law will break for software, I can assure you. even still, the limits can be broken. who knows how much information we could store in 1 particle? who knows how fast our logic gates could become? who knows how many clocks cycles we can get in a second with newer hardware? I saw an incredible veido that explained how instant computations can be preformed or even negative time operations(that seemed like a bit of a joke)

here is that video.

the idea that software has stopped advancing has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. it's like watching the national debt go up and saying "I don't think it's going to go up anymore"

Windows for example didn't leave us much room to really create our own stuff. example: what you're really working with is messages sent by windows.
So let's take it further, to even a foolish task like making your window flip itself in a 3D perspective, or stuff like that (that may be useless and pointless) - not possible in "conventional" means. hope I'm clear enough.

this...it doesn't even make sense. first off, OS devolpment has TONS to improve and anyone can write their own. also, if you stick with "convention" YOU WONT GET ANY WHERE! there is no point in trying anything conventional when it comes to research and finding a better way. if you can define any mapping of input to output then it can be done on a computer. given we humans map our sense(input) to actions(output), I'd say computers can pretty much do anything a human can.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 28 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I really want to see where the web will end up with design. 10 years ago everything looked fairly horrible. When you guys were browsing back then did you think that? I would guess not. It's hard to tell what new styles may come up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 May 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

HTML only just became a standard in 1995. Now we are ready to adapt to HTML5 which is dynamic, & has the ability to overcome (& possibly replace?) Adobe Flash.

We can hope.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thought reading machines will be generating computer programs. So, people who never would have become computer programmers, would be coming up with programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Posta username, on 29 May 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

So, people who never would have become computer programmers, would be coming up with programs.

This is happening already. It's why many of us have jobs maintaining broken crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +