3 Replies - 4565 Views - Last Post: 29 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

PHP vs ASP.NET

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

WARNING: FLAME WAR NOT INTENDED!

So I'm starting web development, and I'm at a dilemma, should I code the back-end in ASP.NET or PHP? Your opinions and thoughts on it, your choice and why?

So I've done my homework, and researched about it, and found that the newest PHP5 is OO as is ASP.NET. ASP.NET is faster than PHP, but in some extent that it really doesn't matter. PHP is an interpreted and ASP.NET compiled.

Oh, and I also have extensive background in C#.

So I know there is no better, why does PHP have that ASP.NET doesn't and ASP.NET has that PHP doesn't?

I plan to use HTML5 extensively, and I know that it doesn't matter if I use PHP, does it matter if I use ASP.NET?

Again this is not a flame war, and I know there is no better or a winner but I could use a good comparison. :)

What do you use and why?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP vs ASP.NET

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP vs ASP.NET

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'd lean ASP.NET here b/c you will be more familiar with the .NET libraries. With PHP, the syntax will come fairly easily given your C# background. Coming from a strong Java background myself, I found it easy to get up and working with PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Yea, I'd agree with macosxnerd101. Seeing as you already have experience with .NET you'll benefit from that if you choose ASP.NET. If you go with PHP you'll have to spend some time getting used to the basic functions and libraries for it.

One thing, though, that often comes up when comparing these two is that PHP is platform independent while .NET is pretty much limited to Windows. It'll cost a little more to host ASP.NET websites. (A lot more, actually, if you are planing to host it yourself.)

why does PHP have that ASP.NET doesn't and ASP.NET has that PHP doesn't

Nothing, really. You can achieve pretty much everything you need on both platforms, the difference is just in how things are done.

ASP.NET is faster than PHP, but in some extent that it really doesn't matter.

That depends more on the developer than the platform. Both PHP and ASP.NET can have outstanding performance. What causes issues in that department is usually badly written code, or a poorly set up environments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

Since my idea was to make a very simple CMS to practice ASP.NET(or PHP). I will make the CMS in both PHP and ASP.NET :). I will make it first in ASP.NET though.

Thanks for the help guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1