Studios, Games, or Games Studio

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

53 Replies - 2645 Views - Last Post: 06 June 2012 - 02:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Studios, Games, or Games Studio (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Which extension to a company name?

1. Studios (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Games (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Games Studio (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. No Extension, just <name> (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Studios, Games, or Games Studio

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hello there,

I'm planning on releasing some indie games on Google Play in a few months, and was wondering what extension I should put on my company name.

I know I haven't actually got anything to release yet, but I need email adresses and stuff to set up accounts. I would rather set them up properly with <name>@<domain>.com rather than change them all later.

So, I therefore need to come up with a company name. It's going to be and indie company for now, but who knows where it might go :D. So, I reckon my choices are :

<name> Studios
<name> Games
<name> Games Studio
<name> Games Studios

I like the sound of <name> Studios most, but someone has taken the domain ;(. And No it's not some massive company, just someone random, I think. ;).

I also know that I don't actually have a studio, but you could call my living room a studio ;). I would just think that calling it a studio now would be better than changing it when I get one. Not saying that I would change it, just saying.

I could also have no extension, but again, someone has taken the domain, one of those mass buying domain companies. BASTARDS ;).

So, my question. What extensions should I put on the company name, and then should it be pronounced with the name. I mean like you don't say, Bethesda Game Studios, you just say Bethesda, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance, please vote in the poll,
Daniel,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Studios, Games, or Games Studio

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Studios, Games, or Games Studio

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostDanielLeone, on 29 May 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

<name> Games

Makes most sense, seeing as you don't actually have a "studio". Also sounds best :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

You're not a studio, so stop trying to be one! What makes a studio is a company that has both creative and development teams who are able to pump out games either off their own backs, or with the financing of a producer.

You haven't even released a game yet! ARGH!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Alright, Settle down!

I was just asking for an opinion, not an enraged lecture.

And BBeck doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with <name> Studios. I would like the hear the reasoning behind that.

Okay, so what about the domain name then, if you think I should be using <name> Games.

Should it be .com.au (my country) or .com because it's the most widely used.
And should it matter if there is a flash game called <name> Game because you google that and there are like 50 matched for it over all those online gaming sites.

Thanks,
Daniel,

This post has been edited by DanielLeone: 29 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostDanielLeone, on 29 May 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Alright, Settle down!

And BBeck doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with <name> Studios. I would like the hear the reasoning behind that.

Okay, so what about the domain name then, if you think I should be using <name> Games.

Should it be .com.au (my country) or .com because it's the most widely used.
And should it matter if there is a flash game called <name> Game because you google that and there are like 50 matched for it over all those online gaming sites.

Thanks,
Daniel,

Studios just sounds best to me. It gets straight to the point. Or maybe it's the musician in me that's just "familiar" with music studios.

But there's nothing wrong with <name> Game Studios or any of the others.

The domain name may be an issue. I'm not sure how you are going to get around that. Also, at some point you could come into issues if they have the name Trademarked.

When I was taking lessons, last week, on building websites they said that search engines like it when you break up words in your domain name like "Rapid-Avalanche-Game-Studios.com" for whatever that's worth. That's why I bought the domain name with and without hyphens. But that might be a way around the domain being taken.

I would use .com rather than .com.au, but I'm an American. Still, I think most people in the US are like me and won't remember to add something like .au to the end 9 times out of 10. So, even if I were from another country, I would use .com if I wanted to tap into the market in the US.

If you're finding another game out there with the exact same name you want to use, I would consider that a "red flag".

I had a friend, several years ago, who decided to bring his life's dream to reality and record an album. He wrote about 12 songs, took loans, bought a better guitar rig, hired people, and went into a professional studio and cut an album. I think he hired his favorite cartoon illustrator to design the artwork for the jacket and hired a professional photographer to do all the photos for the jacket. Anyway, he studied the business side of the whole thing and decided to do it all on his own.

He started his own publishing company, which had no artists other than himself. (Apparently, that's pretty common for independent musicians.)

Anyway, I remember him registering the band name as a registered trademark. He hired a lawyer and paid something like $1,000 USD to have the lawyer make sure that the name was not already owned by someone else. It came back clear and he paid to have the trademark registered and so legally owned the band's name. Anyway, eventually I came across another band on the internet with the exact same name. Basically, if they had of made any money, he could have sued them and ordered them to immediately stop using the name. Then if they had of continued he could have sued them for damages and taken any money they made. In the end, neither band became anything that any of us have heard of. But the point is that if you use a name that someone else legally owns they can at least force you to stop using the name.

So, I would keep that in mind if you plan on releasing a game under a name that someone else is already using. I'm not sure how Trade Mark law works but under Copyright law the first person to write something is the owner in spite of who has the Copyright registered. Registering it just causes the courts to start under the assumption that the person who has the copyright registered is the owner.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 30 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostDanielLeone, on 30 May 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Alright, Settle down!

Well, you got the 'enraged lecture' for being fake - deal with it. You asking me to settle down? I'll do that when you stop being a wannabe!
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostButchDean, on 30 May 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

View PostDanielLeone, on 30 May 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Alright, Settle down!

Well, you got the 'enraged lecture' for being fake - deal with it. You asking me to settle down? I'll do that when you stop being a wannabe!

Merriam Webster .com

http://www.merriam-w...=0&t=1338424542

STUDIO
1 a: the working place of a painter, sculptor, or photographer
b: a place for the study of an art (as dancing, singing, or acting)

So, basically a studio is a place where artistic endevors take place. "Technically" your bedroom is a "studio" if you do artistic things there.

I think most of us here are "wannabes" on one level or another. I'm not aware that any of us have served as the producer or lead game designer at EA Games or Bethesda.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

Well thanks for the positive reply BBeck.

And you're right, a studio is just a place where artistic endeavors take place.

And I would not just be programming by games, but also creating the music (guitar). Which in itself is a complete form of art.

So to call myself a Studio is probably not out of the question at all.

And you're also right about the wannabes. You have to strive for something and not just look at the current picture. Thanks BBeck.

And if future ButchDean, is would be greatly appreciated if you get your demoralizing opinions to yourself.

Thanks,
Daniel,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

'<name> studios' sounds best to me.

What about the 'Entertainment' extension?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Thanks,

Yeah, I'm probably heading for Studios at this point.

Now there is an issue.

The domain name <name>studios.com is registerd, but <name>-studios is not (what BBeck suggested).

Now, <name>studios.com although registered, was only done so on the 13 of may this year, and has yet to produce a website, so it will fail the request if you try and go there.

So it's a possibility that may be able to 'out-perform' them and let me buy the domain off them. I have emailed them already, but only to an encrypted email provided by whoIs (so I don't know if they got it).

So the option is even though the domain name is gone, I can still purchase <name>-studios.com and try and get that later.

http://www.domainmon...ated_domains_1/

I read this about hyphens and it goes on about the pros and cons (some of what BBeck said), and it's probably quite true.

So there are some positives and negatives to the hyphen, and considering that the non-hyphenated option is already taken, I thinking about registering <name>-studios.com.

And I was thinking, when you google something, it doesn't seem to match the domain name its self, but the actual 'title' of the page. It may be a neewbie question, but I have no experience with web sites, but do you define the 'title' of your page, or does the search engine do that? And if you do, what does the domain matter, if the search engine searches for the 'title' of the page, not the actual domain?

I do technically have a studio (as BBeck pointed out), and I need a domain soon so set up my company (do I have to be registered to call myself a company) I don't want any more misunderstandings that result in negative posts.

And in the long run anyway, if I ever do get a 'studio' with dev teams or whatever, I would probably prefer the Studio extension anyway, so getting it now would save a lot of hassle for then.

So it's looking like a good option unless there are any strong objections.

Thanks for the opinions and advice,
Daniel,

This post has been edited by DanielLeone: 31 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

View PostDanielLeone, on 31 May 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Now, <name>studios.com although registered, was only done so on the 13 of may this year, and has yet to produce a website, so it will fail the request if you try and go there.

So it's a possibility that may be able to 'out-perform' them and let me buy the domain off them. I have emailed them already, but only to an encrypted email provided by whoIs (so I don't know if they got it).

So the option is even though the domain name is gone, I can still purchase <name>-studios.com and try and get that later.

http://www.domainmon...ated_domains_1/

So there are some positives and negatives to the hyphen, and considering that the non-hyphenated option is already taken, I thinking about registering <name>-studios.com.

And I was thinking, when you google something, it doesn't seem to match the domain name its self, but the actual 'title' of the page. It may be a neewbie question, but I have no experience with web sites, but do you define the 'title' of your page, or does the search engine do that? And if you do, what does the domain matter, if the search engine searches for the 'title' of the page, not the actual domain?

I do technically have a studio (as BBeck pointed out), and I need a domain soon so set up my company (do I have to be registered to call myself a company) I don't want any more misunderstandings that result in negative posts.

And in the long run anyway, if I ever do get a 'studio' with dev teams or whatever, I would probably prefer the Studio extension anyway, so getting it now would save a lot of hassle for then.

So it's looking like a good option unless there are any strong objections.

Thanks for the opinions and advice,
Daniel,

That's only a couple of weeks ago. They might actually be planning on doing something with it. I would assume they plan on using it until they've done nothing with it for at least 6 months. Although, some people buy up domain names just to protect the name. <name>studios could be a photography studio or music recording studio or even a dance studio that doesn't care about having a website, but just doesn't want anyone else using the domain name of their business.

If you are planning on using your website to promote your games, just adding the hyphen may be risky. I read that article and it brings up some good points about people forgetting to put the hyphen in and whatnot. It depends on how serious you want to get about owning that domain. When I bought my domain, I bought both the hyphenated version and the unhyphenated version. I want to say it was something like $30 a year to have the second domain name.

Page titles are done in HTML when you build the webpage. There's a tag in the <head> section of the page for title that puts whatever you want up in the Windows title bar. It's specific to every page on the site, although I mostly have mine repeat the same thing on every page with a "- <section name>".

I really don't know much about what causes search engines to find your page. I'm going to have to get into it once I start trying to drive traffic to my site. Right now, I'm still getting it setup and I'm almost trying to "discourage" traffic to my site. It's kind of like moving into a new house and you've got boxes everywhere and don't want people to come over until you get everything half way organized and have the house warming party.

The fact that they bought the domain and haven't put anything there for two weeks suggests to me that they either aren't serious about using it, or are very serious about using it and don't want to publish the site until it's 100% ready for public consumption. In my case, I kind of needed to get the site working to get an idea of how I wanted to lay it out even if it risked people coming there, seeing the disarray, and deciding the site is unprofessional and never coming back.

I don't know whether to be happy about it or not, but I'm finding that pretty much no one shows up and none of the search engines see you until you intentionally start trying to drive people there. My site has been there since last Friday and for the most part I'm the only person who's gone to it. It looked like 2 strangers may have dropped by in the past couple of days. At the moment, that's pretty much exactly what I want, until the site is actually ready for people. But once it's ready, that would be pretty depressing if no one showed up. That's okay. I'll just have to learn to market the site. I'm using Google Analytics to monitor who's coming to the site, by the way.

As far as emailing the domain owner, that may be a lost cause. One of the first things I did when I bought my domains was to make sure WhoIs said absolutely nothing about me. It cost something like $15 a year extra per domain, but there's basically no way to get ahold of me through WhoIs. I suppose if the police, or someone wanted to, they could get my hosting company to give them my contact info, but short of that I'm mostly untracable from the Domain Name and WhoIs.

Many years ago I had my own domain in my own name. I was able to use one of the email accounts that the site already had for the email in WhoIs. But that email address got something like 10 spam emails a day every day like clockwork. It was a public email address, so every charlatan on the planet wanted to send me spam. Fortunately, it was an email address that I could just ignore. So, someone ligitamatley trying to get ahold of me through it would find that I never actually checked that address... ever, although it was a working email address.

This time around, I just went for total annonimity.

If they ever get around to publishing something on the domain they may include an About Us section with contact information. But if they are at all serious about using the domain name they may not give it up without a really big paycheck. And if they aren't serious about it, and you can't get ahold of them, you may have to wait for at least a year for them to release it and open it up for someone to buy.

I know GoDaddy has some sort of service where they allow you to basically "get in line" to own a domain name if it opens up.

(I'm using GoDaddy for my site.)

Oh. I mentioned that I'm learning CSS. I actually put together a whole website for my friend's business using nothing but Notepad and a Java compiler many years ago. So, I'm not really new to HTML or websites, but back then we used frames and tables for all the layout and that's considered bad form these days. So, I've had to learn CSS over the past couple of weeks.

I'm trying to remember how I did it for my friend's site that I setup. I can't remember exactly. It seems like I went to Google and the other major search engines and listed his site with them. That was years ago and things may have changed. Plus, he did a lot of promotion and advertisement where he told people about the site.

Anyway, once I get my website organized well enough to offer people something, I'll probably go live with it and then I'll need to figure out how to drive traffic to the site. So, maybe in a couple of weeks I'll be getting into that subject.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 31 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Most domain name resellers will allow the option to backorder a domain. GoDaddy is not your only option (though it is also what my hosting reseller uses to manage the domains he gets for people).

When I purchased my domain I was in High School and intended to (at the very least) have a personal email address and some online storage space I could control. I have also easily been able to use my domain as a platform for whatever project I was working on at the time (I have used SweetApathy as my online moniker for Starcraft/Warcraft3 maps, music, websites, software). Ideally, I'd like to start my own company, but the name has never had a concrete project or staff behind it.

Currently, my site is just a personal site that has been "salvaged" a few times due to hosting companies that have gone under overnight. It is in disarray and I haven't updated in a long time. I need to redesign and put something of substance there. I've always considered making SweetApathy the umbrella for a group of friends and colleagues who would work on projects together. I have room for subdomains, so each person could have a small personal site, and then the projects would also have space on the web. But, in Ohio, I've either just not come across the right people, or I am not looking hard enough.

Either way, whatever you end up calling your company/studio you don't have to have the full name in the domain. You don't have to have all the related domains, though if you had the money to do so, you could so no matter where people went, they'd get directed to the right place.

Don't listen to ButchDean. He's got this complex where anyone with a dream is a posuer, and how dare they call themselves a real game programmer. I understand he's worked hard to get where he is and he's with a professional outfit (supposedly), but that doesn't negate the face that people just like you have done the exact same thing with varying degrees of success. Some of them continue to make things solo or with a loose group, and some of them end up actually moving to a corporate environment or get bought by a larger company. Do you, follow your dream, and see where it takes you. This exact reason is why I didn't hammer down what SweetApathy (as my own theoretical company/studio) does. It is all and everything. It is whatever I want it to be. And, as I have found out, it is also gathering cobwebs, as being a full-time software engineer, husband, and father of two takes up a good amount of my time that I used to spend on tinkering with music and programming and all things nerdy that I would have normally attached to SweetApathy.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Actually I don't think was out of order at all. Here is a quote from your original post:

I'm planning on releasing some indie games on Google Play in a few months, and was wondering what extension I should put on my company name.

In here you say you are a company. Whereas through your further posts you are simply a guy in his living room who wants to make games and play guitar among other stuff. That's not a company for a start. You actually have to go and register a company before you can call it that.

You can call it a studio if you want and maybe "technically" it is, but you cannot really say you are a games studio which "technically" means something else entirely. I think has a point in that you are misrepresenting yourself.

Why don't you focus more on getting your games together and seeing what happens rather than setting up your website. You may find down the line that your games don't fit with the name you chose.

My 2 cents.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

OpenStudio Games maybe?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostDanielLeone, on 31 May 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

And I would not just be programming by games, but also creating the music (guitar). Which in itself is a complete form of art.

Oh. I forgot to mention that now I know that you're going to be writing guitar music for these games, now I really want to check it out! As a fellow musician, I always like checking out other peoples' work.

It's really interesting to see how many programmers are musicians. It seems to go with the territory for some reason. Although, I know - for me at least - you can really tell that I'm more of a technical person in my art. Most of my friends have been artists, and the way I approach art is just 180 degrees away from the way they approach it. I prefer my approach, but I admire their approach as well because I'm able to see the flaws in both approaches.

Anyway, I'm really look forward to seeing what you produce.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »