• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 2476 Views - Last Post: 01 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

• Paranormal Investigator
  • member icon

• View blog

Experience Using Any Droid Phone

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

So a week ago my contract finally ended with Verizon so I thought I would upgrade to my first smartphone. The only one I saw on the free list that I liked was the Droid Charge. I got it with a 4GB data plan. I heard some mixed reviews on all of the Droid phones. If you have ever had a Droid, what is your opinion on them?

This post has been edited by The_Programmer-: 29 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Experience Using Any Droid Phone

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Experience Using Any Droid Phone

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

I heard some bad reviews on all of the Droid phones.

Would you care to cite that, or provide specific information these 'bad reviews' discussed so as not to start a mobile OS flame war?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 May 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I heard some bad reviews on all of the Droid phones.

Would you care to cite that, or provide specific information these 'bad reviews' discussed so as not to start a mobile OS flame war?

I'm not trying to start any kind of war. One review said that the battery life drains really fast while only listening to music for a few minutes and the other said that the screens look weird. I think it was called the AMOLE display or something like that. And I want to hear if people had a good experience too,not only a bad one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

I'll refrase the first post so this doesn't seem like I'm trying to start a war.

There, I changed "bad" to "mixed."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

you get what you pay for.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

I don't use a droid

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

Couldn't you get the Galaxy S3? Guaranteed future proof... until Apple shows the iPhone 5.

http://www.gsmarena....e_i510-3733.php

Specs are good. The Froyo sucks though.

Battery use is really bad on smartphones, especially if you're surfing the net. The Facebook app eats memory and battery like a glutton. But, if you're on the IT field wouldn't you be near computers all the time? A usb cord does the trick for charging your phone. Or you could bring your charger. It's not like you'd drain the battery on a simple commute.

If all Droid phones have mixed reviews, why not choose phones from the other manufacturers? Samsung, HTC, and Sony are good phone makers.

I use a Galaxy Y(yeah, bottom of the barrel) and I charge it everytime I can. On the link provided you can see that Droid Charge phone having 1600 mAH as the battery. Mine has 1200. I could use my phone for 3 - 5 hours of heavy use which includes internet, gaming, and watching videos, so I guess that would give you and idea on how long yours would last.

View Postsupersloth, on 30 May 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

you get what you pay for.

True.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

I got it mostly because it seems good for my first smartphone and it comes with a 32gb micro sd card pre-installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Are you asking about the devices, or the operating system itself?

Both leave a lot to be desired (AMGZ0RS IT WUNT EVN PLAY CALL OF DOODY!). All smartphones disappoint me. I thought we'd have self-maintaining jetpacks by now.

The developers of Android Apps aren't the most creative or proficient bunch of people on the planet, but they do what they can with the system.

Just know that unlike the legacy brick that you carry in your pocket as a bludgeoning weapon against muggers, your Android device is probably going to crash... Often. You'll go crazy in the first two months, play Angry birds until you tear a hole in your screen because you forgot to cut your fingernails (you hobo), and eventually you'll get bored and use it mostly like you used your old phone.

Should you get one? Yes. Definitely. You hobo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostThe_Programmer-, on 30 May 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

I got it mostly because it seems good for my first smartphone and it comes with a 32gb micro sd card pre-installed.

Yes, it is good enough for a first phone, except for the outdated OS.
Whoops. Scratch that.

http://www.google.co...IpgUj98xpFJDq3w

Phone is good, for beginners. I have to play with half of your specs missing or downgraded, but I loved my phone anyway.

View PostGungnir, on 30 May 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Are you asking about the devices, or the operating system itself?

The phone itself.

Both leave a lot to be desired (AMGZ0RS IT WUNT EVN PLAY CALL OF DOODY!).

So the benchmark is Call of Duty? Wow.

Just know that unlike the legacy brick that you carry in your pocket as a bludgeoning weapon against muggers, your Android device is probably going to crash... Often.

This depends on the user. On my first months, it crashed on the 2nd or third, that is because I have 100+ apps installed. You expect your PC not to crash even if you overload it?

You'll go crazy in the first two months, play Angry birds until you tear a hole in your screen because you forgot to cut your fingernails (you hobo),

Never heard of this happen.

and eventually you'll get bored and use it mostly like you used your old phone.Should you get one? Yes. Definitely. You hobo.

Posted Image

Photo got cut in half.

And this concludes I-contradict-every-sentence-you-made post!

Seriously dude. I found tons of stuff to do with my smartphone. I could take photos(my previous phone didn't have a camera), videos, play games from Android exclusives, iPhone ports, and emulated games(yeah, burn me), use my phone as a chromatic tuner, barcode scanner, manga reader, comic book reader, ebook reader, video player, organizer(though I don't really use it as that), the list goes on and on.

This post has been edited by fromTheSprawl: 29 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

I've had good experiences with the Motorola Droid1 and i currently have the Droid 3. The biggest problems I have is the camera app crashing every so often but it usually works pretty well for me. Sucks that it won't get upgrade to android 4.0 and the lack of 4g sucks but it does multitasking pretty well. The droid charge seems a little unspeced at this point but if you are looking for a free phone I'm sure it will be suitable but there's no doubt that you will come across some minor things every so often. I gotta say that i was pretty pumped and impressed with my phone when i was able to stream music over 3g to my car, use the GPS, and connect to a bluetooth device in my car to see real time car stats as I'm driving all at the same time using my phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

My company pays for my 4G MyTouch Slide from T-Mobile with unlimited* data. I have no complaints about the phone or the Android OS. The service on the other hand isn't the best. I'd much rather have sprint, but since it's a free 4G phone with a data plan, I'm not going to complain about it one bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Edit: this started as a simple comparison, because I used an Android phone for two solid years, but it turned into my rambling review of all three mobile OSs. Oh well, here it is anyway:

I used an Evo 4G for about two years, before that I had an iPhone 3Gs. I've moved on to the Lumia 900 (which is a Windows Phone). I've sampled the entire spectrum of relevant smartphones, and I have to say, there's not a clear winner to me.

If you want the best apps, Apple is probably your best bet. Apple's QC factor (and the fact that more people are willing to pay for apps on the i-platform) really shows. Android provides you a larger selection, but of course there's also a lot more crap to wade through. Windows Phone just doesn't have the stellar apps yet. They have some nice ones and some games, but for the most part, it's not on par.

UI: Windows wins in the creativity department here. The flat, expansive, panoramic style is so different than what the others offer that it takes a bit of getting used to, but it's actually very nice. Apple is a close second, in that it's boring, but typically very efficient and familiar. Android is somewhat inconsistent, especially when you have a manufacturer like HTC that throws in Sense, that re-skins 85% of the OS experience. It has its own feel, but then you get to a menu or area that's different. Also, apps are somewhat inconsistent as well. Ever notice that iOS apps all feel "similar"? Android doesn't have that as much, in my opinion. Everyone's trying to give their own style instead of sticking with one unifying one. More creativity, but less intuition, because common UIs make for easier use. Android gets points for widgets though. You can do more from the home screen on Android than you can on either of the other platforms. Apple does the least, with Windows Phones tiles coming somewhere in the middle.

Social: big win for Windows phone. I can't explain it well, but for any contact or group, on the same page, you can swipe over to get data from all their social feeds (twitter, fb, linkedin, etc...) and again to get all their pictures (from the same feeds plus photosharing accounts like SkyDrive). It's far better than the official clients for Facebook and Twitter. Also, you can post your own statuses from your "Me" tile, and it'll crosspost to whatever service you want. I never found anything as nice or integrated into the core experience in Android or iOS.

Android wins on the open-ness, for sure. My brother and sister have the Galaxy SII, and they can do things like send each other files over bluetooth. You can get a file system browser for Android without jailbreaking/rooting the phone. You can sideload unsigned apps by ticking a checkbox in the settings menu. You have a ridiculous amount of choice for almost every component on the phone, compared to, say, the iPhone, where you'll probably be using Safari for browsing, Music for music, etc...So you can put together a great package of customized software. But again, you lose the consistent UX there.

Overall, I'm bored with Android now. I've had it for long enough (and fought it long enough) that I don't want an android phone in the near future. I'm enjoying the Windows Phone way more, even if it doesn't have the app selection. Also, I'm annoyed at the tendency to not get updates on Android phones. Apple's iPhone 3 is running the latest updates to iOS, but there are android phones out there that max out at 1.6, or 2.2, because the vendors decided not to bother releasing an update for them. I know I'm setting myself up for the same problem with Windows Phone, but we'll see.

Would I recommend an Android phone? Probably, especially to people here, who like to tinker. Just get the best one you possibly can now, because phones are moving fast. Getting an older one right now is asking to be left out.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

I've had a Droid 2 Global (with Verizon) for about a year now. I've traveled out of the country several times and I've always had service at a reasonable cost (if I needed it for emergencies) so that's a nice plus.

I definitely agree that the main downfall is the battery life. If you get a Droid I highly recommend downloading Juice Defender. The app cuts off your data except for when the screen is active and after some predetermined time interval to check for new email (and facebook posts or whatever else you use). Mine is set to check every 30 minutes and for the most part my battery lasts the entire day when I use it moderately.

Some apps are definitely a problem too but that's not really something you can help.

This post has been edited by SpartanGuy07: 30 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I had a droid I and before the contract was up it started to act up and shut off. Got a samsung nexus with droid and it eats the battery life.
the phone as a whole is great with extremely fast much faster than my nephews Iphone. He complains a lot about his Iphone and so does his mom and my mom that is why I went with droid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +