Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

28 Replies - 5436 Views - Last Post: 18 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

#1 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have two hard drives in my desktop computer, one with Ubuntu on it, one with Windows XP on it. I would like to be able to dual-boot between the hard drives, so at my bios I can choose to run either one. I would also like to be able to read/write the Windows hard drive when I am using Ubuntu, and Vise Versa. Does anyone know how to do this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

#2 DarenR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 454
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,148
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

to make it easier on yourself you should put the OS' on one drive and have the other for just storing files
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostDarenR, on 30 May 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

to make it easier on yourself you should put the OS' on one drive and have the other for just storing files


I need the dual-boot function! Otherwise, I would just ditch Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 DarenR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 454
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,148
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

right with one hd you can dual boot off of it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostDarenR, on 30 May 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

right with one hd you can dual boot off of it


Ok. I get it. So I should put the ubuntu OS on the drive with Windows. But then how do I access the media on the drive that would be left?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9187
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,489
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

There's also virtual machines (like virtualbox or vmware's stuff)...

Though yeah.. I have an old XP on one drive and windows 7 on another. Basically you install windows 7.. then linux.. then boot back into windows 7 and mess with the boot loader.

http://www.linuxbsdo...-hard-drives/2/

Quote

After installation, the computer will boot into Windows 7, unless you change the boot device from the BIOS boot menu. The final step is to add an entry in Windows’ boot menu for Ubuntu 11.10. You achieve that by messing with the Windows Boot Configuration Data (BCD). There are several programs for doing it, but the best I have found is EasyBCD.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 DarenR  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 454
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,148
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

the tra drive you partition both drives to have 2 partitions--- 1 for your OS' and the other for file storage for windows and unbutu then you access them just like any other hd
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostDarenR, on 30 May 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

the tra drive you partition both drives to have 2 partitions--- 1 for your OS' and the other for file storage for windows and unbutu then you access them just like any other hd


So I have Linux and Windows on both HDDs?

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 May 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

There's also virtual machines (like virtualbox or vmware's stuff)...

Though yeah.. I have an old XP on one drive and windows 7 on another. Basically you install windows 7.. then linux.. then boot back into windows 7 and mess with the boot loader.

http://www.linuxbsdo...-hard-drives/2/

Quote

After installation, the computer will boot into Windows 7, unless you change the boot device from the BIOS boot menu. The final step is to add an entry in Windows’ boot menu for Ubuntu 11.10. You achieve that by messing with the Windows Boot Configuration Data (BCD). There are several programs for doing it, but the best I have found is EasyBCD.


If I am to understand your link correctly from my brief lookover, I would be booting Windows, and windows would ask me if I wanted to boot Ubuntu or not. Is that correct?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9187
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,489
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Yeah.. the BCD would be asking
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 May 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Yeah.. the BCD would be asking


Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I will try this and post whether it works or not, especially since it is written for Win7 and not WinXP. Don't close the topic yet!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9187
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,489
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Then you should be looking into GRUB or something along those lines.

http://gerardmcgarry...-xp-environment

https://help.ubuntu....WindowsDualBoot
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 May 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Then you should be looking into GRUB or something along those lines.

http://gerardmcgarry...-xp-environment

https://help.ubuntu....WindowsDualBoot


Ok. Will grub let me read/write between hdd as well?

Also, windows says it detects the other HDD, but I cannot access it from windows. Why?

This post has been edited by snonymous: 30 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9187
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,489
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I don't know where this hang up on reading between the drives has come up, but the answer is "no.. grub will not free, nor impede, you from reading between drives because that is already an inherent given as is".

Just because an OS is installed on drive A and another on drive B it doesn't make a giant wall come up and no one ever will have access to that data. Everything functions through the motherboard, right? That means if you had six hard drives your current OS you are reading would be able to see all six drives.. that concept is no different when dealing with different operating systems installed.

If you don't believe me download the latest ubuntu, throw it on a dvd, and boot ubuntu in your ram.. your drives shoul all popup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 snonymous  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-July 11

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 May 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Just because an OS is installed on drive A and another on drive B it doesn't make a giant wall come up and no one ever will have access to that data.


Then why the heck is my Windows OS not letting me see the other HDD when I go to "My Computer"?

This post has been edited by snonymous: 30 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9187
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,489
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows With Two Hard Drives

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Any number of reasons..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2