9 Replies - 1397 Views - Last Post: 01 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Languagues/Tech Will Get Me Hired?

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hello, I'm new here so I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right place, I'm trying to get some help and I can't seem the right kind of website/forum to post my question, and my personal research hasn't gone well so far.

I'm going into my senior year of my Computer Science degree, with a not so good GPA of 2.6, and I've had to take out a significant amount of student loans, so I'm a little concerned about my future next year. I was even more concerned when I found that I applied to about 30 different internships in my area, and didn't even get an interview for a single one.

Looking at jobs in the area, many of them seem to want both years of experience and experience in several languages and technologies that I've either never heard of or haven't learned. In my CS program, and from what I've found looking at other programs, they don't seem to teach you most of the "real world languages" these people seem to want. I've done 90% of my assignments for my classes in C or Java with some in assembly or C++, a tiny bit of SQLite and dabbled in a few languages like Prolog and Haskell for a programming languages course. I have some HTML/CSS experience from doing my own personal websites, but only conceptual knowledge of things like Javascript, PHP, MySQL, etc.

My question is what exactly should I be picking up on my own time, and how concerned should I really be about finding a job when I graduate? I have a couple months off now just working retail over the summer, so I want to do anything I can to prepare myself.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Languagues/Tech Will Get Me Hired?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Languagues/Tech Will Get Me Hired?

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

My question is what exactly should I be picking up on my own time,

It all depends on your area or where you want to go. Find job postings for 'entry level' and find similar languages and go for that.. be an intern.. that would do wonders.

and how concerned should I really be about finding a job when I graduate?

How bad do you want a job in IT? If you want a job right out of the gate then I would be concerned. Then again it also depends on WHAT you want to do.. help desk? tester? programmer? systems? networking? .. etc..etc.. etc.

Build a portfolio.. get hooked up into your local IT groups.. etc.

Oh and if you are looking for project ideas:
Project lists:
Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 May 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

My question is what exactly should I be picking up on my own time,

It all depends on your area or where you want to go. Find job postings for 'entry level' and find similar languages and go for that.. be an intern.. that would do wonders.

and how concerned should I really be about finding a job when I graduate?

How bad do you want a job in IT? If you want a job right out of the gate then I would be concerned. Then again it also depends on WHAT you want to do.. help desk? tester? programmer? systems? networking? .. etc..etc.. etc.

To be honest I'm not really picky on an area, though I'd really like to do either something relating to audio, low level programming or maybe just plain old application development. I really like to design code rather test it but I am willing to start out in a "grunt" job if I need to as long as I can pay my student loans and live relatively okay. As I posted above, I tried to get an internship and it didn't pan out this summer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Any hint on where your area is?

To be honest I'm not really picky on an area

Well.. then pick one! Being a jack of all trades is good but rarely do jobs list things as that..

I tried to get an internship and it didn't pan out this summer.

Any clues on why? Have you called people back and just asked "what should I do to better prepare for another interview"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well I suggest you focus on C++ and Java because those are going to give you the most options despite where you go in your career. With those two languages alone you can go from game design to systems design to mobile development etc.

They also teach you many concepts which you can then easily leverage in learning other languages. With them your second set should probably be PHP for web and a .NET language like C#.

But as pointed out it is all about what you want to actually do in IT. It is not actually critical that you know what you want to do this minute. You can always jump out there with a good portfolio and try your hand at various jobs.

HOWEVER, notice how I said portfolio and it was brought up earlier. This in itself is worth its weight in gold! Put some of your best work, assignments, designs etc into it. Show this to employers even if they never ask to see one. In the end they want to see your code quality, what you have worked with and what you can do for them. Be prepared to tell them how quickly you can put together various items in the portfolio for them.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 May 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Any hint on where your area is?

To be honest I'm not really picky on an area

Well.. then pick one! Being a jack of all trades is good but rarely do jobs list things as that..

I tried to get an internship and it didn't pan out this summer.

Any clues on why? Have you called people back and just asked "what should I do to better prepare for another interview"?

To be honest with you I have no idea why they didn't hire me. Most of the time I'd just get an automated rejection response from the larger companies, and the startups wouldn't contact me at all. I wish I had even had an interview because I've had a job offer anywhere that I've got that far (though to be fair those were all retail/food service jobs), but it's a matter of getting there.

As far as picking a field that's kind of where I am right now, I have a bit of experience in a lot of fields from university but not really enough to say I'm this type of programmer or that type.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

As far as picking a field that's kind of where I am right now, I have a bit of experience in a lot of fields from university but not really enough to say I'm this type of programmer or that type.

That's the job of a university - expose you to things and give you options.

Still no idea where "your area" is, but yes.. Martyr's right.. I would say java and some .NET.. don't neglect the databasing.. and some base web design.. php if you feel particularly inspired.

So.. why is the gpa 2.6? Where are you problem areas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

I think Web programming would be great..
I just started out learning HTML, CSS and PHP by myself last month and Im already getting a hang of it already..
You can earn money through freelance sites like odesk, elance and more..
But it still depends on where you like..
Application development is also quite good.. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

This subject has been asked to death.

It is also pretty well covered on the Q&A with the experts
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

No language will get you hired. You will get you hired, by being the sort of person that can do what the company needs done.

In my CS program, and from what I've found looking at other programs, they don't seem to teach you most of the "real world languages" these people seem to want

Those being what exactly? There are lots of modern languages which go in and out of style. All of them are really flavors of C or lisp or some combination, or else they're stuff like SQL, HTML, PDQL, or whatever.1 They all do about the same thing: they express your will in terms that the machine understands. So if you know lisp and C, and you get the idea of objects, you should be able to work out just about anything you come across. If you know the machines that you work on and what sorts of things they like to do, you can work with them fluidly - you can convince them instead of coercing them.

There are weirdnesses - bash has weird idiosyncracies that will cause you fits when you first play with it, perl has its custom pre-defined variables that make well-written perl look like line noise, and so forth - but all that is what makes it fun. Basically, it's like playing music. All music is the same, it's just different here and there. If you get the "same" part down, the "different" part is what keeps it interesting.

So what does all this mean? Don't learn languages to get jobs. Learn languages because they're neat. When you come across someone who's really excited about a language, learn what it is that they're excited about. Be an interested person, enjoy what you do, and people will want to pay you to come and do what you enjoy for them.

If you don't enjoy languages, if you don't enjoy problems of computation, if computers are just a way to get money out of your boss for you, find something you do enjoy and do that instead.

1 just as a discipline with the word "science" in it - nursing science, library science, computer science - isn't really what we think of as a science, a language with the word "language" in its name isn't likely to be what we think of as a "language"[/size]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1