8 Replies - 2553 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

XAML and C# skills transportable to WinRT in the future?

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

The blogosphere seems to be full of debates on whether Silverlight/WPF is dead etc etc, but as business/enterprise can take a long time to change and the fact Windows 8 isn't even released until later this year do you think continuing to study C# and learning XAML (Silverlight, Blend) will provide me with knowledge employers could use now and help prepare me for future events in Windows development?(As metro uses C# and XAML)

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: XAML and C# skills transportable to WinRT in the future?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XAML and C# skills transportable to WinRT in the future?

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

None of us can see the future. If I could I would have already won the lottery. If I could KNOW the future of technology I wouldn't be an employee: I'd be independently wealthy and own an island.

The best anyone can do is read as many of the articles as possible and make their best guess.

You just said that metro uses C# and XAML - so why are you worried about your C# skills remaining marketable?

If you look at the articles for WinRT you see it is just a layer.
http://www.readwrite...winrt-and-i.php

C# remains in both Metro and Desktop applications.

As near as I can tell it really is just a layer consisting of 109 new namespaces. I have every confidence that .NET will support them. It might be .NET 5 or 6... But I don't think its really going to become an issue or some huge shift that kills all earlier software. It just doesn't make business sense to kill all your 3rd party developers: Its bad for profit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks tlhIn`toq,

You're right, no one can see the future and I guess once I get in to a company any new skills I need they can train me in. Because I'll be older than most of my fellow students when I graduate (29) I want the best class of degree possible and enough knowledge so I can 'get my foot in the door' so to speak :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Oh - you're going to school to learn coding? I'm sorry. You're right, you will be behind everyone in the company that learned on their own. But probably even with the other students that took the slow school route.

I guess once I get in to a company any new skills I need they can train me in.

That's not an attitude that would go over well in my company. Employers don't have an obligation to keep your skills up to date. Its cheaper to higher a new batch of rookies that have the 'go getter' attitude to take it upon themselves to keep their own skills up to date. They are employers not schools.

I think of it this way: I have to keep my own skills up to date because I like promotions and raises. If I don't invest in my self then who will? If I don't invest in myself then I get fired and guess what: Now I have to spend all that time playing catch up if I want a new job. Either way I have to learn all the new technologies, so it makes sense to learn them while I am employed to keep even/ahead of my co-workers. After all work is a competitive sport and I choose to be a winner. Anyone that relies on the employer to train them is going to be at the back of the pack. Their managers will see that they don't invest in themselves, while the guy in the next cubical is up to date and making suggestions that rely on new tech, showing they have kept themselves up to date.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm always teaching myself outside of University, I get high A's in any programming/application modules because they are pretty dumbed down, I've gone to University to get a piece of paper that will get me job interviews, I have no problem with dedicating myself and learning as much as possible outside of Uni

On that note, do you think a masters degree is any more beneficial to a potential employer, or just a waste of a year?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I think it all depends on the employer.
My employer is a smaller company that values experience over paper. In fact the owner steers away from college folk because they tend to be more pretentious, having an inflated evaluation of their worth, and not really have any skills learned in the real world. But as I said, that's this company. Nobody cares about paper only what you can do and how fast you can do it and if it works when you are done. There is no department of 20 coders to look over everyone else's work. There is no blending into the wood work.

If you want to go to work for Massive Dynamics then yeah, they probably care about the degree and you'll need it to be one of the heard of programmers on staff. Everything is a trade off. Bigger company, more ability to blend (less ability to stand out), more paper needed for that higher pay, more debt to pay off the education loans, more competition for promotions, more job security at your current level.

So I think it just boils down to the environment you want to work in. That will dictate the company policies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I would get out there and start getting some good experience and coding skills in and then on the side while working do a masters degree or something.

I first started working before i went to do a degree(part time) and i can tell you what you learn in university is rubbish(not completely but ye you get the picture.) compared to what you learn when working on different projects and actually out there. Your first year or two out of university you will learn way more then what you learn in your 4 year degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I can believe that, talking to people who have graduated they say they learned more in their first year in a job than the entire degree! I think it will be best to graduate my BSc (hopefully first class) and get into a job ASAP - get some real experience :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

None of us can see the future.

Sometimes, with technology, we can. Right now, you can install the Release Preview of Windows 8, and the Release Candidate for VS 2012. All you need to start developing for Metro. And yes, you should be able to translate at least some of your experience from Silverlight/WPF, because Metro apps can be made using XAML and C#. It'll be quite familiar, with a few new paradigms thrown in the mix.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1