1 Replies - 3955 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dual boot pinguy and windows xp

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

Hello. I just ordered a new work station for myself. Here are the system specs:

lenovo G570 (laptop), Intel Core i3 2350M(2.30GHz), 4GB Memory DDR3 1333, 500GB HDD 5400rpm.

I would like to dual boot linux and windows on this machine. I will use it primarily for programming (on the linux side), web development, and web surfing. I do not plan on storing large amounts of data (music/movies). I will also install a few games (nothing too fancy) and others apps on the windows side. I imagine I will need room for linux apps too, but I'm not sure what I will want or need a few weeks down the road. Right now I see myself using linux 70% of the time and windows 30% of the time.

How should I partition my harddrive? How much space for each do I need to allocate? Would you recommend installing xp first and linux second? or visa versa. I had a coworker recommend pinguy (this will be my first personal linux system) He told me I should partition my drive something like this:

500GB HD:

*swapspace = 4GB = same amount as RAM (in case I break linux)

One other thing. I've got my old Windows XP 32-bit disc laying around somewhere. Would there be any issue in running 32-bit XP and 64-bit pinguy? Or should I stick to 32-bit XP and 32-bit pinguy. Unfortunately I do not have access to 64-bit XP

How does this sound? This will be the first time I have used linux and the first time I have dual booted from a personal system. Any recommendations or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dual boot pinguy and windows xp

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dual boot pinguy and windows xp

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I think that sounds quite good. In my experience, you probably don't even need that much space for Linux, unless you are planning something huge. I would consider giving maybe a bit more space to Windows, it can be a space hog when it comes to installing games, and any other software.

I'd advocate installing XP first and then using the drive manager to allocate a partition for Linux, in my experience, this is the easiest method.

Swap is definitely a good idea, another nice thing to do is mount your home drive on another "logical" partition, so you can swap distributions in and out without upsetting your file structure (well, you could just copy them I suppose). If you are planning to choose a distro and stick to it for the foreseeable future, it's probably not worth it.

There shouldn't be a problem installing 32 bit along side 64 bit. I have it the other way around here! Assuming your computer can handle 64-bit, which I'd hope so.

This post has been edited by Simown: 06 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1