• +
  • Last »

49 Replies - 4514 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

E3 2012

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

For those of you who pay attention to video games (and I know there are some of you out there), I would like to open a thread to discuss the E3 events that have been going on. E3 officially kicked off today with Microsoft's press conference starting bright and early at 9:30 PT (12:30 ET, and 10:30 MTN).

What did you like? What did you expect? What left you wanting more? And what left you disappointed (if anything)?

I'll go through and post more when I get off work, but for the moment I figured it was amazing (and terrible) that a thread didn't exist already.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: E3 2012

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: E3 2012

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

for the moment I figured it was amazing (and terrible) that a thread didn't exist already.

I'll be the first curmudgeon to say it E3 isn't like it how it used to be. *hrumph..*

Engadget's coverage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm excited that MS announced they are bringing the NHL to the xbox. Live games and highlights, thats gonna be awesome. IE on xbox "might" be interesting too. And I'm always down for a new Gears game and the new forza.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 supersloth  Icon User is online

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

is valve announcing half-life 2 part 3 or whatever yet? because if not, fuck them.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

E3! Too bad can't view it here. Can someone give us a few highlights?

Funny thing bout Half - life. I'm now playing part 1 and I'm halfway through. I just launched the rocket though I have no idea why, because I thought I was supposed to be riding it. I love every moment playing Half - life. I've already tried playing the second one a few years back and I can remember great set pieces one after the other. So, yeah, I hope lots of FPS follow Half - life.

By the way, Sony and MS announce PS4 and Xbox 720? Any luck? Oh, and I saw a controller for Nintendo Wii U which looks like the analog sticks are swapped places with the buttons. What craziness is that?

By the way, isn't every gamers dream to go to E3?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Sadly nothing so interesting as a new console from either Microsoft or Sony. Though they both announced a very similar product, Microsoft calls it Live Glass (or something like that) and Sony calls it Playstation mobile; either way you cut it it is a service that joins their games with mobile devices. Microsoft will be offering the app for i*, android and windows 8 (or WP7 I believe) devices, while Sony will only be offering theirs for android, and only "Playstation certified" devices at that (at least that is how it sounded in their press conference).

The basics were revealed: Halo 4, Assassins Creed 3, Gears of War 4, God of War (whatever one is next), Far Cry 3, etc.

Sadly I am not excited from what I have heard so far. Maybe Nintendo will be more interesting (their press conference is tomorrow morning)... I am not holding my breath though.

In other news, Arena net (makers of GuildWars) announced that the next GuildWars 2 Beta will be this weekend (you may have heard that last week from their site), but this week (or over the weekend) they announced that they doubled their servers for the upcoming beta. Which means we should get significantly better quality experience this weekend (June 8th through 10th). If anyone else is on my character is "Lightsong the Just".

I'll post more news after listening to Nintendo's conference tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 05 June 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

Sadly nothing so interesting as a new console from either Microsoft or Sony. Though they both announced a very similar product, Microsoft calls it Live Glass (or something like that) and Sony calls it Playstation mobile; either way you cut it it is a service that joins their games with mobile devices. Microsoft will be offering the app for i*, android and windows 8 (or WP7 I believe) devices, while Sony will only be offering theirs for android, and only "Playstation certified" devices at that (at least that is how it sounded in their press conference).

Well, it's nice to see that both companies are widening their horizons and venturing forth to the mobile market(no, Vita and 3DS are not on their league). I hope this generates much needed income for them, specially for Sony(yeah, I'm kind of a fanboy).

The basics were revealed: Halo 4, Assassins Creed 3, Gears of War 4, God of War (whatever one is next), Far Cry 3, etc.

Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh. Expected. The reason why the gaming industry is going stale because of these <game title> <part #>. I hope new IPs surface.

Sadly I am not excited from what I have heard so far. Maybe Nintendo will be more interesting (their press conference is tomorrow morning)... I am not holding my breath though.

Well, Nintendo gets some blame too. Their characters need to retire! At least some of them. Well, too bad they're making great games with their characters.(If the gaming press is to be believed)

In other news, Arena net (makers of GuildWars) announced that the next GuildWars 2 Beta will be this weekend (you may have heard that last week from their site), but this week (or over the weekend) they announced that they doubled their servers for the upcoming beta. Which means we should get significantly better quality experience this weekend (June 8th through 10th). If anyone else is on my character is "Lightsong the Just".

Would Guild Wars 2 follow the same payment principle as 1? Buy the game, play as long as you like?

I'll post more news after listening to Nintendo's conference tomorrow.

Curious. Are you in E3? Where do you listen to it? Is there some safe site where I could get the latest E3 news? Thanks! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

@fromtheSprawl You can watch the live stream on Gamespot.

Also what is this I hear about being able to play XBOX 360 games on Windows 8? Any truth in that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well, I can't do that. It's blocked, so you know where I am. I'm kinda hoping that Twitter would be a good source but no one posts in a stream. They just pick out this game or that development company. Anyone know an account which tweets E3 stuff?

Xbox 360 games on Windows 8? Well, you could play 360 games on PC now( Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, list goes on and on) so I can't see why this is not possible. But, this would be to the disadvantage of the Xbox hardware. Unless its like play PS3 on your Vita, where you just stream your game to your PC from the 360. That would make more sense, and would add skills to 360 FPS players (with a little help from a little thing called a mouse and a keyboard).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

@fromTheSprawl - Yeah, see I am a Nintendo fanboy (or used to be, that is probably the better term) so I keep wanting them to come out with something to wow me. They just don't...

I agree that the same old games are getting boring. I will probably buy Halo 4 just because I'll need a new shooter this holiday season, but I don't see myself getting it right at the start. The rest of them probably won't be seeing my money.

Nintendo just needs to stop recycling content (and entire games!). I don't care that their market is the younger generations. The fans that made them who they are have grown up, they need to as well. Giving me a boss that is exactly the same as from a game 15 years ago isn't going to make it an interesting experience for me. Having me retrace my steps at every turn is going to get me to walk away. The tricks that work for youngsters don't for older fans. They need to realize this and adapt.

Yes, guildwars 2 will follow the same payment plan. That is the only reason I got it. If they had said it was pay-to-play I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I hate that style of gaming and refuse to buy into it.

No, I wish I was at E3, sadly I have work and am nowhere near it. So I am just watching the streams. I normally go to G4 for the streaming stuff (and gaming news), but tonight they were lagging way behind on the service so I wound up watching Sony's stream from their site. I believe that Microsoft did something similar, but I didn't have to watch it there this morning.

@strawhat89 - Microsoft did say something about being able to play xbox games on Windows 8, but they didn't go into any depth about it so I have no clue how true it is or what the catches are. It would be amazing if we could just pop in the game disk and go. We will see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs trailer game me a huge nerd boner. Shadowrun-y on the fly hacking to modify your environment. Sploosh
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 05 June 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

@fromTheSprawl - Yeah, see I am a Nintendo fanboy (or used to be, that is probably the better term) so I keep wanting them to come out with something to wow me. They just don't...

Can't say the same, because I've never had the chance to play with the newer Nintendo games. I'm still dreaming of playing Metroid Prime and Pikmin. But if that comes from a self confessed fanboy then I guess they really need to do something new for their console. Who was the last new character they added to the Nintendo family? Pikmin is the last that comes to mind, and they showed that a long time ago, early 2000.

Nintendo just needs to stop recycling content (and entire games!). I don't care that their market is the younger generations. The fans that made them who they are have grown up, they need to as well. Giving me a boss that is exactly the same as from a game 15 years ago isn't going to make it an interesting experience for me. Having me retrace my steps at every turn is going to get me to walk away. The tricks that work for youngsters don't for older fans. They need to realize this and adapt.

I guess whats happening now is that they're forsaking their old fans and are content with the new generation of gamers. They're still doing well with their Pokemons and new Marios and Zeldas, so they see no reason to change anything, except throw their characters into new game genres or add in a new layer of paint on their games(not that it hurt Wind Waker or the Kirby games).

Yes, guildwars 2 will follow the same payment plan. That is the only reason I got it. If they had said it was pay-to-play I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I hate that style of gaming and refuse to buy into it.

Cool, I might check on that. I've quit World of Warcraft for a long time and will look for my new MMO fix.

No, I wish I was at E3, sadly I have work and am nowhere near it. So I am just watching the streams. I normally go to G4 for the streaming stuff (and gaming news), but tonight they were lagging way behind on the service so I wound up watching Sony's stream from their site. I believe that Microsoft did something similar, but I didn't have to watch it there this morning.

I thought E3 was a journalist only event?

us.playstation.com/e3-2012/

Link to the Sony thing? I guess this is blocked, but I'll try clicking just the same.

Update: Clicked it, yeah it's blocked. Guess I'll just head over to IGN this weekend so at least all the stuff is condensed in there

@strawhat89 - Microsoft did say something about being able to play xbox games on Windows 8, but they didn't go into any depth about it so I have no clue how true it is or what the catches are. It would be amazing if we could just pop in the game disk and go. We will see.

Doubt it. Lots of people would rather buy a high end PC if they knew they could play 360 games there. Well, software sales might soar, but hardware for Xbox will go down. We will see, once there is more info available.

By the way, no info on The Last Guardian? How was The Last Of Us? Hideo Kojima on Twitter seems to be on nirvana upon seeing the demo of this game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hmmm.. From what I heard, Microsoft said there will be a legal XBOX 360 emulator in Windows 8 and you can play the games if you have the DVDs.

I quit playing Nintendo a long time ago. There used to be a time when I was a huge Nintendo fan though, the games got too similar and childish for me. I'll be skipping the Nintendo Stage shows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

if you can play xbox games on a win8 tablet, i would most definitively buy one the day it comes out.

i thought i heard a while back that The Last Guardian wouldn't be at this E3? Cause i remember being really disappointed because that is probably the one ps3 game that I have been looking forward to. I literally haven't played anything since MGS4 on my ps3. I guess i half beat killzone 3..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Mmmm... Smart Glass!

more links

Microsoft just announced a new feature called Xbox SmartGlass, a “second screen” feature that allows you to view information about media on the screen of a mobile device or PC.

SmartGlass allows you to view movies on multiple devices – viewing a movie on a tablet and then transferring the video to the screen, for example – and offers detailed media information on TV and movies playing on the big screen at home or on the go.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »