9 Replies - 5185 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Advice: Web Application Developer or Database Programmer

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hi. I recently graduated as a Math major. I only took one class in Java, which was required. A company told me they would hire me if I learned like 2 languages. The guy told me I could either be a Web Applications Developer or a Database Programmer. He told me they were looking more for Web Application Developers, but that I could also do the Database Programming. For Web Applications, he said to learn asp.net, C#, and Javascript. For Database, he said SQL and Data Import/Export.

Since I'm a beginner to Computer Science, which would you think I'd have an easier time with?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Advice: Web Application Developer or Database Programmer

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need Advice: Web Application Developer or Database Programmer

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

That's a pretty loaded question there one-poster... No one knows a darn thing about you! How about you skim the tutorial sections on ASP.NET and MSSQL and figure out what seems more straight forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostUSC2587, on 04 June 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Hi. I recently graduated as a Math major. I only took one class in Java, which was required. A company told me they would hire me if I learned like 2 languages. The guy told me I could either be a Web Applications Developer or a Database Programmer. He told me they were looking more for Web Application Developers, but that I could also do the Database Programming. For Web Applications, he said to learn asp.net, C#, and Javascript. For Database, he said SQL and Data Import/Export.

Since I'm a beginner to Computer Science, which would you think I'd have an easier time with?

Since you already took the java class. It would be much easier for you to go ahead and learn Web applications.
Javascript is very similar to Java so you might want to start there.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

I didn't understand a lot of stuff in the Java class because it moved very fast. I ended up with a C+. I was told that was a decent grade, because the class was notoriously difficult for non-Computer Science majors. My point is that I didn't feel very confident with the material.

Do you either the database or web app job would be more suited toward Math since I'm already good at it. I looked through my old discrete math book and there was stuff in there about SQL in the Relations chapter. I read a little bit about Algorithms, Graphs, and Trees. We didn't get to these topics in my Discrete class, but I know I could learn it.

I know this is another loaded question, but if it can somehow be answered, then that'd be great. I appreciate all the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

You know, you could be a Java web app developer and a database programmer at the same time. Nowadays programmers are expected to know at least one programming language, database concepts and one web scripting language, specially for web app developers. Javascript is a language for scripting on your web applications, and you can use Java as the driving force of your web app. Java is very popular with web apps, what with the proliferation of open source frameworks such as Spring and Struts. You would be surprised how used Java EE is by companies because of the power of JEE.

Now where does the database programming part come in? Well, most certainly if you're doing a web app of great magnitude you would most likely need a database, and Java EE caters to that. There are lots of persistence(db) frameworks in Java, but they wouldn't mean a thing unless you know the basics of database programming are, such as simple SQL queries to stored procedures.

So all in all, I guess if you take the role of web app developer, you'd be able to experience all those fields. When you said database programmer, I guess that would be more like PL SQL, but you can use that when you are a Java developer too.

Concerning grades, I got low marks too. Don't worry, just persevere, and you'll get there. First, you need to get a good handle on the basics, such as basic programming concepts(conditional statements, syntax, etc) and OOP principles. Tell us where you're at and maybe we could give further advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Posteiarzate, on 05 June 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

Javascript is very similar to Java so you might want to start there.

Objection! Javascript is quite different to Java (except for the name). you have strong typing vs. weak typing, block scope vs. function scope, Classes vs. Prototypes, etc. esp. the latter will scare the crap out of you if you do not realise the difference that makes.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 04 June 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

You know, you could be a Java web app developer and a database programmer at the same time. Nowadays programmers are expected to know at least one programming language, database concepts and one web scripting language, specially for web app developers. Javascript is a language for scripting on your web applications, and you can use Java as the driving force of your web app. Java is very popular with web apps, what with the proliferation of open source frameworks such as Spring and Struts. You would be surprised how used Java EE is by companies because of the power of JEE.

Now where does the database programming part come in? Well, most certainly if you're doing a web app of great magnitude you would most likely need a database, and Java EE caters to that. There are lots of persistence(db) frameworks in Java, but they wouldn't mean a thing unless you know the basics of database programming are, such as simple SQL queries to stored procedures.

So all in all, I guess if you take the role of web app developer, you'd be able to experience all those fields. When you said database programmer, I guess that would be more like PL SQL, but you can use that when you are a Java developer too.

Concerning grades, I got low marks too. Don't worry, just persevere, and you'll get there. First, you need to get a good handle on the basics, such as basic programming concepts(conditional statements, syntax, etc) and OOP principles. Tell us where you're at and maybe we could give further advice.

Wow. Thanks a lot for the information. I actually think he said I could learn the languages for both Database. and Web App. I installed MySQL on my computer to do some tutorials. I think I might go through the tutorials for each language. Last night, I got through a lot of the HTML tutorial in just one sitting. It was pretty fun.

The site said I need to know some HTML in order to do Javascript. It also said I need to know some Javascript in order to do Asp.net. So, I guess I'll start with HTML.

The boss I spoke with said I needed to learn Javascript and maybe Java. I'm only learning the basics, so maybe there isn't much difference.

Another question I had is a broad question. Do you know if a lot of companies hire non-Computer Science majors to do programming jobs? I was surprised this company said they would hire me if I merely acquired some basic skills. To be exact, they said I could be an intern and most interns end up working for the company. Thanks, again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I studied Maths at Uni and now have a career in IT, though I started my career many years after graduating.

I've taught myself Javascript, PHP, and *SQL. Out of all of those languages, the easiest I found to come to grips in terms of maths training with was *SQL. If you have studied Set Theory, Category Theory, or Theories of Computation, that gives you a good standing, as well as being comfortable with things like the Heaviside Step Function, Gaussian Functions, and such.

Going into DB work as a Maths major, you'll probably end up doing a lot of BI and data cleansing, which can be lucrative careers. I say probably because every job is different, but maths skills lend heavily towards these areas. If you've studied knowledge discovery, data mining, or statistics, then you should definitely angle your IT career towards BI/reporting and data cleansing.

In terms of data cleansing, having a strong knowledge of basic scripting in applications like Excel will be very handy. A lot of big business uses Excel for data imports / exports, and having a deft hand in reformatting data using something like Excel can place you well for a job in data cleansing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

This really isn't a Computer Science question, so I'll move this to the Corner Cubicle for better discussion. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostUSC2587, on 06 June 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Another question I had is a broad question. Do you know if a lot of companies hire non-Computer Science majors to do programming jobs? I was surprised this company said they would hire me if I merely acquired some basic skills. To be exact, they said I could be an intern and most interns end up working for the company. Thanks, again.

Yes they do. In fact, there are lots of companies out there who consider Math, Engineering, or even business related course graduates for IT positions. Some companies offer trainings, and would not expect you to know everything upon stepping on their doors. What they are investing in is in your potential, and your current strengths(Math). Some trainings are interspersed as you work along in the company, and some send you to a bootcamp training where you'll undergo rigorous IT training for a good amount of time. Both these types of trainings are common on companies nowadays, especially if they're hiring new or non - IT graduates.

Read e_i_pi's post, that seems to be really helpful with your scenario. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1