• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

92 Replies - 3054 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

for the drinking age types

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:13 AM

I am curious as to what your favorite beers are or hard liquor.....I also what to know if you have ever crafted your own beer...and if so what type
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: for the drinking age types

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: for the drinking age types

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Normally I go with MGD or Miller High Life. Sometimes Labatt Blue.

If I'm at the bar, a good combo is Stella Artois and a Scotch on the rocks.

I will drink just about any hard liqour: Whiskey, Vodak, Rum, Jagermeister, whatever. Jager always straight. Whiskey and Rum go with Coke. Vodak goes in food a lot of times.

I don't care to brew my own beer. I just drink it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hmm... I'm personally a big fan of a drink called a "screwdriver". It's Vodka in orange juice. Some people say it tastes like hairspray to them, though.
Another good one is scotch. Nothing with it. No ice.
If you're drinking more casually, lambs mixed with pepsi is a nice drink that's a little sweeter.
I'm not into beer so I can't help you there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

I've been a pretty big fan of The MacAllan for a while now. I keep a bottle of 12 year for a drink in the evenings and I like to have a bottle of the 18 year around for "special occasions" (sometimes coming home from work is a special occasion).

Beer is constantly changing for me. I just discovered Wells Bombardier recently (on draught, nobody carries it here it's not worth paying for a special order), and I've been enjoying Redhook's ESB and Real Ale's Brewhouse Brown Ale.

EDIT: You can tell there's a young 'un in the thread when they explain what a screwdriver is...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 08 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 08 June 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

The MacAllan

this looks to fancy for me..

I prefer lagers as a beer

rum for my other but rum usually superceedes beer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 08 June 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

EDIT: You can tell there's a young 'un in the thread when they explain what a screwdriver is...

I am a little offended that you thought you had to point out that I'm younger just because I explained my drink of choice. That's unnecessary.
Yes, I'm young. I'm 19, the legal age for where I live in Canada. Drinking's new to me. I explained the drink because I figured OP doesn't know much (or at least, less than me) about drinks considering he started this thread.
It's not like I drink illegally, so please don't post ambiguously. I don't want people thinking I partake in underage drinking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

POPULAR

vodka if I'm socializing and partying

scotch if I'm relaxing and conversing

gin if I'm alone and feeling weird

tequila if I want to wake up 3 states away

champagne if I feel like signing the deed to my house away to a complete stranger

beer if I've been sober for 3 days and there's no liquor in sight
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

Welcome to Dream In Code fireapple, but with 7 posts under your belt, being this easily offended in our Caffeine Lounge is a sign that it is going to be a bumpy road ahead. Lurk a while and get a feel for the lounge and if it's not for you, there are a lot of other places on the site that are not this open to free discussion of any topic and might better suit you. I really don't think h4nnib4l meant anything by it other than the fact that a Screwdriver is such a common drink, it probably caused him to chuckle a little at the thought of someone describing its contents. I know I did. And does it really matter that someone on the internet might think you're drinking illegally? I would be willing to bet that if you told someone that you were 19 and drinking, their first response would be to think that anyway and not take the time to check and see where you're from and if that is a legal drinking age. We're all kind of inherently lazy when it comes to those kinds of things.

Oh almost forgot:
Scotch, Blended Whiskey and my more common drink of choice, 5 clear liquors of equal proportions and a splash of coke (no bar mix).

This post has been edited by CharlieMay: 08 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Postfireapple, on 08 June 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Posth4nnib4l, on 08 June 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

You can tell there's a young 'un in the thread when they explain what a screwdriver is...

I am a little offended that you thought you had to point out that I'm younger...
Yes, I'm young. I'm 19...

LOL! Pwnt!

My latest fave is Buffalo Trace bourbon:
Posted Image
I won't claim to be any kind of connoisseur but, 2 shots of bourbon with 3/4 shot of water over ice makes many of the days' frustrations fade to manageability.

When it's not bourbon it's dark rum with diet Dr. Pepper and when it's not either of those it's some kind of light beer. Like pretty much everyone else, I too went through the "beer snob" phase and was like some kind of beer hipster wherein I liked something really obscure but you prolly haven't heard of it. Thing with beer though: to get well and truly lit on beer, I have to drink heroic amounts of it and long before I'm in my happy place I'm in my bloated and pissing every 10 minutes place. Beer is good if you're outside, it's hot and you're engaged in manly sports of derring-do like fishing, barbecuing, barbecuing fish or watching fishing, barbecuing or most any other kind of sport either live or on the television.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hobgoblin is one of my favorite beers. It's an English import and delicious, but it is a darker beer. I also enjoy Old Rasputin.

For summertime, I prefer wheat beers. Abita (Louisiana brewery) has a really tasty raspberry wheat called Purple Haze.

For harder drinks and mixed:

I adore rum and coke with Kraken rum. You only need one shot to make it amazing.

Friend of mine recently introduced me to gin and tonics. I was skittish about trying it, but it's really good. I recommend a 1:1 ratio.

If you like scotch and things that might as well be scotch: Yamazaki 12-year aged single-malt whiskey.

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey is fairly decent, though I drink it more as a 'harder mead' replacement than actual whiskey. Can't find good mead in my part of the US.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Various whiskeys and whiskies for me. Lately for everyday use I've been enjoying the Redemption Rye.
I also like to keep a variety of Scotch around, because you never know what sort of mood you're going to be in, and it's wise to have the right thing around.

Unfortunately, I think there's a lot of churn going on in the distilleries in Scotland now. Some of my old favorites seem to have changed in the last few years, and I see a lot of new bottles that swear up and down they've been making whisky since before Culloden. There's also a disturbing trend towards branding that aims at the idiot market, with a sort of peat macho - the way brewers tried to make hop content a standard of manliness when microbrews hit the mass market. So there's a cartoon Scotsman in a kilt with a red beard and ridiculous eyebrows on the label, I don't want to know what it tastes like. The unfortunate part is that respectable bottles seem to be angling this way. The last bottle of Caol Ila I bought tasted like someone had shot in a bunch of liquid smoke or something - totally undrinkable.

As for beers, in the northeast I've found Smuttynose IPA to be a well-built beer for session work, and Pretty Things is making some gorgeous stuff. I'm a little concerned about Pretty Things, though, they're in the scale-up period, which is usually when a great beer becomes an overpriced mediocre beer. I hope they avoid this, because the stuff I've had from them has been really nice.

Don't get me started on brewing, I should probably get some work done today... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

It's all about phases... there was a long island phase.. that ended abruptly when I was going with "how many can I do" and topped out at eight or so pints. The screwdriver breakfast in college... Wallbangers if I find a place with a dusty bottle of galliano from when they opened... The Highlife when at the pool or around hipsters. 8-Bit Pale Ale when I am at The Beercade. Triple Berry Vodka and Cran if I am playing by the Land of Ooo's vampire rules. Gin and tonic when I want something refreshing.. Captain & Cola while I am pondering what to drink next.

I don't brew my own beer... I know a few people that do.. It just seemed like so much work..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

@fireapple ---- I am an old guy so I've been drinking for quite a while-- I am just curious to others tastes.

@Redyote is kraken as good as they say it is-- I have been wanting to try it but at almost $30 a bottle I was a little leary.

Yuengling is prob my favorite beer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Lol. If it makes you feel any better, I think of the screwdriver as an old folks drink. My mom used to drink screwdrivers; in the 70s!

For beer, I like a nice Hefeweizen or a Stout.

For drinks, a Scotch and water. I've tried a lot of single malts, I still go for Glenfiddich as a stand by.

For mixed drink, rum and coke. The Captain is fine, you're drowning it in a coke anyway, so something like Gosling would be wasted. Um, still, I'll put Gosling in coke. I'll also drink it straight.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 08 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

RedYote: See if you can't find some Captian Morgan's Tattoo. It reminds me of a harder version of the Spiced Rum that I cannot find anywhere.

I should have mentioned before, but if I have my choice of Whiskey, it's Black Velvet, all day.

My wife makes awesome Chocolate Cake Shots ( 3/4 oz. Frangelico, Cacao Mit Nuss or other Hazelnut Liqueur, 3/4 oz. Citrus Vodak). Down shot, bite on sugar coated lemon. Tastes like liquid chocolate cake. Awesome.

That's what's fun about flavoured liqueurs like Frangelico or Kahlua. Depending on what you mix it with, you get some really odd flavours that you wouldn't expect.

I've only had Brandy once, and she is an unforgiving mistress. After several hours of drinking, I had friends crawling on the floor and using the front door of our apartment as a skull-softener. "I lub joo bishes! *slam*"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »