• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

92 Replies - 2962 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Re: for the drinking age types

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'll let you know if I ever get the urge. BTW, what's that on your sig, Jon?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

It's a phrase in Turkish.

I read this article in the Times and then I asked my Turkish co-worker how you'd say something like "I support Fazil Say" in Turkish. And that's what's in my sig.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#63 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

Ah, beer snobbery. Practically a founding principle of the internet. Look, I respect you guys and your opinions, but they wouldn't sell billions of dollars worth of beer every year if it wasn't at least somewhat pleasing to the average person's tastes.

It all tastes like piss to me though. I've never met a beer I've liked. I've tried all kinds; we have a few bars here in San Antonio that have over a hundred varieties on tap. Still haven't found one I enjoy. There's a common flavor across all of them that just doesn't appeal to me.

What I do enjoy is Canadian whisky. Typically I'll mix it with a citrus soda. I've really started to enjoy Forty Creek. It's fairly inexpensive and tastes better than Crown Royal in my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Everyone has a different palate, so I don't really get any sort of food or drink snobbery.I despise the taste of mustard, but I certainly don't begrudge those who enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks and all. I've always been a strong beer fan, even as a young'un. While everyone else was drinking Bud or Heineken, I'd be seeking out Heineken Dark, which was hard to find way back when.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 09 June 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

Ah, beer snobbery.

I'm not sure that dising Bud necessarily counts as snobbery... it's really not beer. It's like calling McDonald's fine dining. You can like your fast food fix, but it's a shame if you think it's gourmet. If you know is crap and still prefer it, that's fine. Also, mass appeal is hardly a criteria for quality.

Wine snobbery, now, that's something else. I'm happy enough with Two Buck Chuck when it comes to wine. I've tried the absurdly pretentious stuff, but a lot of it's just PR.

Spirits are the same. The price tag often funds an advertising machine more than a superior product.

Drink what you like. However, try a little of everything and find what YOU like. Don't let someone else make the decision. I mock my friend's love of JD, but he knows what he likes and I respect that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#66 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Bwahaha.. beer snobbery is just too damn funny. I do enjoy the tiff a grown man throws when he walks into a general Sportsbar-USA and they do not carry some esoteric fare.

Oh, side note - if you are looking for a diverse sampling of wine, wine.woot.com has a pretty decent lineup. Daily rotation, and it get your tastebuds bathing in things you would normally not know existed or have access!

Speaking of wine I am a bit suspect of our college age kids - no Mogen David 20/20? Aka MD 20/20? You may better know it as 'mad dog' wine?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

I suppose this has become relevant...
Posted Image

I don't think it's "snobbery" to understand what you're drinking and have preferences - apathy is not an argument in my book. "I don't care about the differences" doesn't support the claim that "there are no differences", it just supports "there are no differences that I care about".

Now , I should acknowledge that there are certainly prestige effects that we have to take into account. You can get people to prefer one wine or beer or whiskey to another by suggesting that it costs more. However you can do the same with houses, and this doesn't imply that there are no fundamental differences between two houses. It only implies that people are more moved by prestige than they ought to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#68 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I only drink vodka, rum, and kahlua.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#69 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Damn Modi, that pic brings back memories from underage drinking.. MD 20/20 and Cisco tastes like crap but gets you hammered.

As I don't drink anymore, I have to think back on my drinks. The best drink I think I had, was strawberry moonshine. More specific, just eating the strawberries that were in the jar of moonshine. Strawberries, well they are good to begin with, but a strawberry with a kick? All I can say is DAMN!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Catch me As Exception
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't like beer much. It tastes bitter, you have to drink a shitload of it just to feel a slight feeling of wasted. And worst of all, beer makes me wanna piss like every 7 minutes which is really annoying! But if I have to choose, I'd say Baron's. It at least tastes better.

And for hard liquor, Vodka all the way. Anything from Absolut. Smirnoff and Skyy are quite good too. For Whiskey, its Johnnie Walker Black label.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

If you all want to know more about different beers from all over go to beeravocate.com (sorry my link inserter isn't working). I'm over in Europe, and so far there isnt a beer i could drink again in the States. I used to like Bud, but its piss water now. Over here more beers sit at over 6%. most at around 8-10%. The strongest i've seen and tasted is called Tactical Nuclear Penguin...yes thats right...Tactical Nuclear Penguin! Which is about 35% or so...now heres the catch...if you can drink soy sauce straight this is a good beer, otherwise hell no. Most of the time I have a Kasteel (donker is best), at about 10%.

For you heineken drinkers...find a brown bottle...so much better.

As for hard liquor, i used to drink either jack and coke, or tattoo and cherry pepsi. But when I moved over here, jack and i fought alot, so i had to give it up. And I can't find tattoo over here. though, I have found a locally made whisky, called Zuidam, thats is so much better ditch'ed or straight than mixed.

Over all, i have to say most of you are missing out from the better tastes in the world in regards to alcohol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

More beer snobbery warning: anything much over 10% alcohol ain't beer.

Sure, you can call it beer. You can call all manner of weird things beer; like lambics, the wine cooler of beer. However, once you move out of the basic process for fermentation, you're beyond beer.

Yeast dies for two basic reasons: it runs out of food or it's poisoned in it's own waste. We call that waste alcohol. Some yeasts can handle alcohol better than others; ranging from about 4% to 20%. Nothing considered a normal beer yeast can survive much above 10%. They might survive longer, but at that point they'll usually have run out of sugar and started eating themselves.

You can get high alcohol beer by throwing in heartier yeast and more yeast food, resulting in a second fermentation. To break the ~20% mark, some kind of distillation process is required. ( Or, maybe, mutant yeast. One brewer got to 28%. )

At some point the beer industry seems to have come to the conclusion that freezing and taking the ice out is does't count as distillation. But they draw the line at firing up a kettle. So the hard cap for high alcohol "beer" is going to be close to 60%.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

Sam Adams gets up to 26% for their Utopia, using strictly legit brewing. Their head brewer is a maniac.

But yeah, under ordinary conditions I'd say 10% is really high. Getting high alcohol content for its own sake is sport brewing - it's great for exploring the limits of what's possible, but it doesn't make a great beer any more than maximising IBUs does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Two recommendations for maniac beer.

First, Dogfish Head: Link. The brewmeister has worked with archaeologists and has re-created alcoholic beverages up to about 9,000 years old (that particular one is a rice/berry alcohol from China), which I think includes the beer the Egyptians paid the pyramid workers with (yes, they were paid in beer) and a Babylonian beer as well... possibly. My memory is fuzzy on this detail (but fucking well check it out anyway).

The second is Beer #1 from my previous post here,. It's Estrella Inedit, the beer I won't shut up about. It's a Spanish beer, the brewmeister is a famous Spanish vintner. It is crazy good shit. It's a wheat beer lager with a very clean taste, a good head, an amazingly clean finish, and it's brewed with several herbs (including coriander, liquorice and citrus) that give it an amazing aroma, and they also mean it pairs well with the same kinds of foods that you would normally drink a prosecco / cava / champagne with (among many other possible pairings- because it's still a beer) (for reference, the wine pairings here are shellfish, cream sauces, and oily meats and fish such as duck and salmon).

Try Dogfish, I've heard nothing but good things and am dying to get my hands on some, and I can tell you firsthand that the Estrella Inedit is worth the effort of searching for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Samuel Adams Utopias is brewed with both ale yeast and a variety typically reserved for champagne.
-- http://beerstreetjou...v-150-a-bottle/

You can make a good rot gut with champagne yeast. It's sturdy as hell and takes a lot to kill. Newbie wine brewers are told to use it mostly because of this.

Fun home experiment kids: Get a packet of yeast, most any kind will do, but the previously mentioned champagne is a bonus. Put it in a bottle of 100% juice, again any kind. Wait. If you put the lid back on the bottle and it explodes, it's done. If this seems like a bad idea, put a rubber glove on the opening with pin pricks in the finger tips. When it starts to give you a high five, it's cooking. When gets limp wristed, it's time to put it out of it's misery.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First