Backing up of Projects

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1261 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Poll: Project Backups (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you Backup your work?

1. In a cloud system. Online Storage (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Through USB, or Portable HDD (7 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

3. No, I keep it all in one spot (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Backing up of Projects

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hello there,

As you all know, backing up a project is a must. Could you image what you would do if your current solution was deleted. I don't even want to think about it. Someone might get hurt ;)

So anyway, I have my projects backed up in about 3 different spots on my hard drive, and I update them all constantly.
But I'm still worried that it isn't enough. What it my hard drives corrupts.

I've thought about using Google Drive (well I am using it), but uploading MB all the time doesn't seem that flattering to me.

I was wondering what the community does to back up their projects, and what precautions you take? Keep in mind, I want to keep it free, I don't see the point in paying for anything as of yet. Unless there is a fairly good reason.

So I was really looking for a quick, reliable way of backing up projects.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel,

Sorry if I haven't put this in the right forum, because I'm pretty I haven't, feel free to move it. It was the closest one that I thought it would fit it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Backing up of Projects

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Backing up of Projects

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm paranoid.

My live projects are on a USB drive so I can plug it into work, home or laptop and they all are set to look for K:\Code\

That drive is backed up to:
  • Daily: A second USB drive for an exact hot-swappable replacement
  • Daily: The PC desktop
  • Friday: The Macintosh desktop
  • Friday: The company FTP server
  • Friday My personal FTP server
  • Upon new release versions: Dropbox account

And of course, hourly or when enough changes warrant it, I make a copy of the live project so at any point I can roll back to the last successful version of... 20 mins ago
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have a backup partition on my drive, but I mainly rely on Dropbox for backup and access from multiple PCs. Every so often I backup to local media.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 08 June 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

I have a backup partition on my drive,...

Yikes: So if when the HDD fails it takes out your live files and your backup at the same time. Isn't that rather an "all your eggs in one basket" scenario? I don't mean to pick on you but what is the point of a backup partition on the same drive? What benefit does it give you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yikes: So if when the HDD fails it takes out your live files and your backup at the same time. Isn't that rather an "all your eggs in one basket" scenario? I don't mean to pick on you but what is the point of a backup partition on the same drive? What benefit does it give you?

I'm aware it's not a complete solution. In case Windows fails though, I can still access my files. Want to hear something even worse? I generally let my IDE's access dropbox directly and I usually access dropbox directly. I don't use a backup program to copy files from my working directories to dropbox on the regular. I really use it to keep my files in synch since I work from multiple PCs often. Restructuring my backup solution is a small project I need to take on sooner than later, but it's not urgent (important but not urgent).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 08 June 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

I really use it to keep my files in synch since I work from multiple PCs often.

I can't say enough good things about my scheme using a USB drive for the live files.
All my computers expect to see the projects at K:\code
So whatever computer I'm at I plug in the drive and they're happy. There simply isn't any 'sync' to worry about as all the computers are always dealing with the same HDD.

That same drive has my Outlook file. So again, Outlook on my desktop, laptop, workstation, spare PC all use the same drive... all use the same live data.

Then at the end of each night I clone K: to L:, and K: to d:\backups

I'm not saying its the perfect system or that their aren't more advanced systems. But it has served me well for 8 years and is fast to set up: Just buy two drives (live and clone) and point your applications at them. Like you said sometimes sooner is more important than the most advanced system that is yet to be set up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the replies,

Is there a reason you use DrobBox as appose to all the other cloud systems?

I've only ever used Google Drive, I personally like it, so I don't know what the rest are like.

Thanks again,
Daniel,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for mentioning Google Drive. I've never played with it.
It looks like it operates pretty much the same as DropBox.
Only DropBox has been around for a few years which is why I use: Because it was first to market and at that time there was no alternative.

Now that there are so many free 5 gig options... With enough of them you could store lots of data in several places without spending any money.

Again thanks: I'll probably add it to my backup routine so I have ANOTHER off-site location. Like I said, I'm paranoid about loss.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

tlhIn`toq: I just might use that setup. Simple and effective.

Is there a reason you use DrobBox as appose to all the other cloud systems?

Not in particular. I learned that Dropbox was a free and easy to use backup solution, so I checked it out. It was the first one I had ever heard of. I've never even heard of Google Drive until right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Ryano121  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Although if you are paranoid about integrity, then Google Drive may not be the best option

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

I use a remote repo. Everything is in svn, 'cause I kick it old-school. Shared projects typically go on google code, otherwise I got a spot off somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostRyano121, on 08 June 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Although if you are paranoid about integrity, then Google Drive may not be the best option

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

It's a good point, and I honestly didn't know they can do that. I would think though that they are just saying that to protect them selves. Or they are truly aiming for Google World Domination :)

Going with what people have said, I'm probably going to start backing up my work on other hard drives/usbs. Though not a paranoid as tlhIn`toq.

Thanks,

Two things a bit off topic though :)

1. Is it just me, or why does this topic have 11 replies and 0 views?
2. Why the name tlhIn`toq? It's a bugger to type ;).

Daniel,
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostDanielLeone, on 08 June 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

2. Why the name tlhIn`toq? It's a bugger to type ;).

Its a Klingon thing.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

I have found for backup, sharing and just general version maintenance, I use subversion server that I have set up on my server. Its awesome because I have access to it from anywhere, I keep a working directory and commit at the end of the night. Also if I want branches or have major version I separate it into a different branch and start development on that.

Its very nice being able to go back to any point of the project because I sometimes will delete some code thinking its not needed but then later realize I did need it. Without the revision control I would have to recode that whole section.

The other benefit is, you can share your code directly from the subversion server. For example I have been working on my own custom version of Transmission Torrent client. My friend really liked the changes and wanted to run a copy. With a single line in ubuntu he was able to download my code and start compile.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

I just use an external Hard Drive/USB. And obviously there's another copy on the live server if it's something I've released..in case things go really wrong locally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +