Backing up of Projects

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1392 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Poll: Project Backups (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you Backup your work?

1. In a cloud system. Online Storage (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Through USB, or Portable HDD (7 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

3. No, I keep it all in one spot (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Backing up of Projects

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Backups really need to be kept in a separate building or they are no use if your building catches fire. To that end I have two USB hard drives, one at home and the other at work, where I sync my reference and project files daily. Because I do it daily, the sync is very fast and convenient.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

That plan worries me, as do a lot of the ones I've seen mentioned here. As a rule, the best backups are the ones that do themselves. Any solution that requires me to manipulate hardware is a step I'm likely to skip when I'm in a hurry - and that's when I'm most likely to need the backups, because that's when I'm most likely to make mistakes (like skipping the backups).

Is there any particular reason not to use a version control system storing to a server off in the world somewhere?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

You make a good point and sometimes I do skip a day. It's definitely a drawback of that system. However, I have considered what I need to backup and the repercussions of losing it. I think my system provides me with more security than I need and makes use of hardware I already had lying around unused. As far as manipulating hardware goes, I do that at least twice a day anyway as I transport my laptop between home and work and connect monitors, keyboards, mice, etc...

Most of the stuff stored on my computer is there only for convenience and sentimental value. This reference material only changes infrequently so a backup that is months old will probably have everything I need. A backup that is days old (which is my worst case scenario) is even better.

My hobby projects could be deleted with no serious repercussions. But I have them backed up anyway.

That leaves my uni and freelance projects. My uni projects belong to me. It would be devastating if I lost them entirely but if I could revert to a recent state (and my backup system all but guarantees this) I could bring them up to speed very quickly.

The one area where I maybe should have a stricter automated backup regime is my freelance projects. I'm not really sure what I could do here. I wouldn't like to trust someone else's property with a cloud solution run by a third party. As it stands, I think my system is good but not perfect for freelance projects. I'm open to suggestions.

Overall, I'm happy for now but I am aware there may come a day when this system no longer meets my needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

The one area where I maybe should have a stricter automated backup regime is my freelance projects. I'm not really sure what I could do here. I wouldn't like to trust someone else's property with a cloud solution run by a third party. As it stands, I think my system is good but not perfect for freelance projects. I'm open to suggestions.

If you're concerned about security, carrying stuff around on flash drives should make you very nervous. Your data is much safer on a server which can be secured than on a flash drive that can fall out of your pocket, get left on a desk, or otherwise go missing and fall into the wrong hands.

I don't know what counts as "cloud solution" to you, but good old fashioned hosting companies are pretty good at this sort of thing. If you have a friend who keeps a web site up, you could probably get them to host a repo for you, it's a very low-impact service. Or if you run a website for your freelance work, you have everything you need there to host a repo for yourself, or you should.
(shell access on a linux machine, a database to talk to, and a connection to talk over)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

I keep everything versionated (svn, mercurial or git) and I backup the repository with some cloud solution for more often backups and a physical media for eventual ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Back up the repository?

Please mean "I make a copy of the repository on a separate server in a separate location to insure availability of previous versions in the event of catastrophic loss of the repo server" and not "I have a perfectly good version control system and I waste my time saving unversioned snapshots to random other people's hard drives".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

I currently back up important files (which aren't most of the files on my computer) by using a virtual machine. It is stored on the same harddrive yes, but it considering it is where I work on things it is nice to have around. Second is an external harddrive, which automatically backs up my files and keeps 5 revisions (it also backs up the virtual machine). I also use git to have a history and source version control system around.

When I get useful things up and running I also tend to drop a copy of the folder onto my dropbox, which gets backed up on my desktop and all three of my laptops (1 linux, 1 windows, and 1 mac) as well as the cloud, of course.

My dream is to have a in-house server with a RAID 5 or 6 running on it (ideally with hot-swappable drives and some hot-spares) just to be safe. But that requires money that I don't have at the moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Github.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I now have a number of briefcases set up for backing up my work, simply because they're fast to write to (updates). I have one of the same partition (speedy one), one on another partition, and one on a USB (slower, but external incase something goes wrong).

I also want to really start setting one up on a server somewhere, like online using DropBox or something.

I currently back up important files (which aren't most of the files on my computer) by using a virtual machine. It is stored on the same harddrive yes, but it considering it is where I work on things it is nice to have around. Second is an external harddrive, which automatically backs up my files and keeps 5 revisions (it also backs up the virtual machine). I also use git to have a history and source version control system around.

When I get useful things up and running I also tend to drop a copy of the folder onto my dropbox, which gets backed up on my desktop and all three of my laptops (1 linux, 1 windows, and 1 mac) as well as the cloud, of course.

My dream is to have a in-house server with a RAID 5 or 6 running on it (ideally with hot-swappable drives and some hot-spares) just to be safe. But that requires money that I don't have at the moment.

That's what I have set up! Well it's only raid 3 or 4 I think, and no swappable hard drives, but I'm not really that paranoid ;) It's just nice to have some reassurance I guess.

Thanks once again,
Daniel,

It's really interesting to see how others do things.

This post has been edited by DanielLeone: 19 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +