• (4 Pages)
  • +

50 Replies - 5596 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Anyone else play MMORPG's?

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

Lately I've been playing X3TC, which is es essentially Eve offline with better controls and less of a time requirement (MSRPG!). It's apparently really well know and really popular but I only recently learned of this game's existence... What else don't I know about? (brace yourself, this could get ugly lol)

I use to play WoW, but quit before Cataclysm. When I have some extra time, I might pick up Diablo 3, I waited for years for that thing to come out!!

Also, if anyone says "developing games is more fun than playing them" immediately ask them to present a game they've finished.

This post has been edited by atraub: 11 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

I'm a huge fan of the X-Universe. Picked up with X3: Reunion and am now finishing TC. The plot isn't overly hard, I just like to roll into hostile sectors with an Armada, sending wings of capitals through each gate. I'm hurrying now, because I want to play through Albion Prelude. Looks like that's the storyline setup for the next major version of the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I just started playing TERA. I have to say, I'm impressed. With the gameplay, that is. The character design is mouth-breather level, of course. They live in a universe where the best kind of armor for a woman is a metal thong bikini and high heels. Seriously though, it's more blatant than in other games that do the same thing. I have to believe that it was mostly guys that did the art in this game.

But aside from the ridiculous oversexualization, the gameplay is great. It's the first MMO I've ever played that is more like an action game than a traditional MMO. Spells and attacks aren't locked-on to anything. So, if you move before a monster swings at you, it misses. If you stand there, it hits you. If you fire a spell at a monster while it's moving, you'll miss, unless you led the target. Basically, it's like controlling a 3rd person action game rather than an MMO. There's no keyboard-turners in this game, because you literally can't. You can't click your action bar, because in combat mode, your mouse moves the reticle and camera rather than a cursor.

And you have to actively block or dodge damage. That's the best part. Playing a Lancer, you can raise your shield at the correct time to block all incoming damage, and create a safe zone behind yourself. Playing a Warrior, you can dodge at the last second and continue your combo attack.

The questing is meh. Kill X number of Y, or kill Y until X number of Z drops. But the gameplay is fresh, so that's alright. Apparently group stuff is fun, but I haven't made it far enough to instance.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

From what I've heard, a female did the character models for the females in that game. So she's either a lesbian, or she knew to pander to 12 year old boys.

Personally, I don't care. Of course it's silly that the higher your armor class, the more revealing it is, but at the same time, you're playing a fantasy game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

View Postatraub, on 11 June 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Also, if anyone says "developing games is more fun than playing them" immediately ask them to present a game they've finished.

Who says we have to finish a game to have fun developing it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostBenzoate, on 10 June 2012 - 05:09 AM, said:

I was just wondering if anyone else played any MMORPG's?
I was into Runescape for a couple years, and was highly addicted to it. Now I'm into one called Tibia.

So, does anyone else play anything like Runescape, WoW, or Tibia? If so, how long have you played and what levels are you?

Hey there, I wanted to let you know, i played runescape from 7th grade to 12th with a 2 year stop because i played Tibia. I played Tibia from 10th grade through freshman year of college and had a lvl 57 elder druid + a lvl 10 knight that could 1 shot cyclopses that was a fun to do in parties after they implemented the party interface. I played wow for 4 years.

After playing wow, because i played 8+ hours a day for those 4 years... it burned me out. a server of 80s to show for it though. lol

I then, after taking a 3 year break from video games, came back to EveOnline. Ive been playing that for a bit over a year now, and with that game, I am online 23 hours a day, but playing only < 4. Money just comes to me. Its pretty sweet.

This post has been edited by fallenreaper: 12 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

So wait.. your schedule looked like this? Impressive... though lord knows how you fit eight or more hours a day in for WOW during that senior year of high school!

2002: 7: runescape
2003: 8: runescape
2004: 9: runescape, wow
2005: 10: Tibia, wow
2006: 11: Tibia, wow
2007: 12: runescape, Tibia, wow
2008: college_freshmen: Tibia, wow
2009: college_sophomore: <no games>
2010: college_junior: <no games>
2011: college_senior: <no games>
2012: post college1: eve

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostBenzoate, on 11 June 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

It's kind of hard to play a MMRPG when you live in the middle of the country, surronded by only older people in their 60's, plus you never have a ride anywhere even if someone your own age wants to hang out :D

You seem to have missed the point.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have a job now, I don't have time for this shit.:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Give it a week. You'll be out turning tricks again in no-time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

You seem to have missed the point.

I did get the point, I was saying it is hard for me to interact with other people ^~^ But yes, I think I will go with DQ's plan and turn into an insane sheep murderer :D

@fallenreaper

If you decide to start back up playing tibia, let me know ^~^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Anybody going to try the new Elder Scrolls MMORPG when it comes out? It is supposed to be based in skyrim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Playing .hack. All the MMORPG without the O part. It is a game where your character is playing an MMORPG. Inception!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Playing .hack. All the MMORPG without the O part. It is a game where your character is playing an MMORPG. Inception!

I have read this 5 times and my brain can still barley comprehend it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 10 June 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

I used to play MMORPGs, then I got a life and realized it's pretty much the same thing, without the "O".

Yeah I use to play quite a bit of online games myself but now I am more focused on building games. I do still play games but only briefly and mainly to get ideas and see what works in the games that are out now.
Since I have had two beautiful babies the quest never ends. I am constantly grinding toys and finding rations, because I now know there is something in my life more important than a video game...
The best part is I have my own video game testers and what makes it better is that they are from the new age, so they will be hip to all the newest ideas
I like your avatar BTW :rockon:

View Postleontd, on 10 June 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

I used to played quite a bit of mmorpg, but now, I rather just develop my own game, it's much more fun and rewarding. :gunsmilie:

Yes, I think we are on the same level here. Playing other people's games just pisses me off at least I can change the things I hate about my game.

View PostAtli, on 10 June 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

I played EvE-Online and WoW for like 8 years, and I tried both Rift and SWTOR. I don't anymore, though. The non-stop grinding in WoW/Rift/SWTOR has gotten very old, and EvE requires more dedication to be fun than I've been willing to provide it for a long time.

I agree I got sick of grinding on all games completely. I remember doing that all day some times, which make me feel worthless by the end of the day...
I guess its just all part of growing up..
Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a 15 year old play a game as long as his school work is done in my opinion.. Although as a father I would try to find other things for him/her to do as well.

BenignDesign said:

I used to play MMORPGs, then I got a life and realized it's pretty much the same thing, without the "O".

I tried that too, but I could never find any quests, and it took me forever to find a blacksmith willing to make me a two-handed sword. Even then, he insisted that it be blunt! - Eventually, when I starting grinding sheep for the wool cloth (and mind, skinning sheep with a blunt broadsword is a pain!), I got arrested for some reason. Was total BS. I tried to charge them but their ranged weapons got me long before I could even swing at them. (Fkn huntards!)

And they seriously need to fix the loot tables for those damn sheep! - All I got from the ~50 I killed were entrails and raw meat, and all the wool cloth was damaged beyond repair. Total waste of time :/

Yeah, I agree life can be an adventure if you make it one. It just requires real energy. rather than mouse clicks and button pushes.

View Postno2pencil, on 11 June 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 10 June 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

The "O" is the best part.

Posted Image

I would have to strongly agree with this great point! :viking: ~.^

View PostBenzoate, on 12 June 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Anybody going to try the new Elder Scrolls MMORPG when it comes out? It is supposed to be based in skyrim

I do want to have a look at this game for sure, it was one of my favorites
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +