4 Replies - 1665 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

microsoft word opening with wrong version

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

hi guys, i have microsoft office 2007 and microsoft office 2010 installed on my computer, but i only haveoffice 2010 registered.

Now for some reason, all the files that i have written and saved with office 2010, are opening with office 2007. I have tried changing the default program, but it doesn't show office 2010 as an option, and i dont know where to find it by browsing.

My question is, how can I stop this?

Also, what programs associated with office 2007 can i afford to uninstall? the programs i currently i have installed, related to office 2007 are

compatibility pack for the 2007 office system

microsoft office home and student 2007

microsoft office live add-in (This one has a similar icon to those with 2007 in the name, however has a lower resolution, but not sure if it has anything to to do with office 2007)

Microsoft office powerpoint viewer 2007 (english)

Thanks for any help

:boat:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: microsoft word opening with wrong version

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: microsoft word opening with wrong version

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I will take no respectability for any screwups when you are working in the Registry. Always make a backup of your Registry before making any changes!!!

Open regedit.
Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Open Software
Open Classes
open the extension you want to change the program to open. .doc in your case right?
Look at the default value, should say something like docfile (whatever it says on your machine), now open that key under classes.
Open shell under docfile
open the open key, open the command key now the in the default value will be the path to the program used to open the file. Add the path to Office 2010. Don't forget to add "%1" after the path so the clicked file is opened in Office.

I will take no respectability for any screwups when you are working in the Registry. Always make a backup of your Registry before making any changes!!!

Open regedit.
Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Open Software
Open Classes
open the extension you want to change the program to open. .doc in your case right?
Look at the default value, should say something like docfile (whatever it says on your machine), now open that key under classes.
Open shell under docfile
open the open key, open the command key now the in the default value will be the path to the program used to open the file. Add the path to Office 2010. Don't forget to add "%1" after the path so the clicked file is opened in Office.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

i think the file extension i want is .docx, but more to the point, neither .doc nor .docx exist in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Classes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

So then, add it/them. Use an extension like .txt as a template.

Goto my site and download my file type editor and see if that would help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

i'm not really comfortable changing settings like this to be honest. What are the risks of simply uninstalling office 2007, given that I have office 2010???

Also, having extensively googled the subject, I found that in office 2007 and Office 2003 you can go to word options -> resources -> and click 'Diagnose' / 'Detect and repair', this has solved a similar problem to mine almost without fail. However, on searching for the same in office 2010, i found thatt here is nothing! Is there any equivalent I could try???

This post has been edited by JizzaDaMan: 11 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1