7 Replies - 3468 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do i make profiles show up in my social network on search engines?

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

My social network saintmonopoly runs on the saintmonopoly.com/whatever your name is type of profiles you can give it a test with saintmonopoly.com/mikelash to see mine. how can i make it so if i type in mikelash into google that along with a myspace profile and facebook profile a saintmonopoly profile would show up to?

even if i type in mikelash saintmonopoly into google nothing shows up

This post has been edited by mikelash: 10 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do i make profiles show up in my social network on search engines?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do i make profiles show up in my social network on search engines?

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've made this point before in regards to this site, but it definitely warrants a second mention here...

You need to make sure your HTML is correctly written. If you run that page you linked to through the W3C Validator, you get some 61 errors. - To be blunt: that page is a complete mess. The HTML has big pieces missing from it, and a lot of the HTML you do have is incorrect.

Search engines rely on your HTML to parse the information from. The browsers are very forgiving when it comes to showing invalid HTML to their users (which is why your site displays at all in a browser), but you can not expect the search engine crawlers to be as forgiving. Sure, they may overlook some errors, but if you want your sites to be indexed correctly you need to provide the crawlers with valid info.

There is another thing to consider. Are there any links to these profile pages anywhere? The crawler can only index pages they are aware of, so if you want them to index your profile pages, you need to link to it somewhere. If there are no links, and making links doesn't make sense, then you may be able to use a sitemap file to make Google aware of the profiles.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Forget about search engines.... I can't even parse that mess! You have been working on this site for months and although you have been told before it is too big for you, you carry on. So instead just take a look at that code and compare it to another site.

An advantage you currently have is the site loads fast, 462ms for me. Search engines love fast websites.

Your code however is quite frankly wrong. http://d.pr/i/Z0rk As you can see, you have a div at the top of the page... why? You then have Javascript and CSS, I would recommend putting them in separate files. What you are missing is the essential structure:

<!DOCTYPE html>   <!-- This is used to trigger standards modes in browsers, mainly for legacy but still important -->
<html>  <!-- The root element -->
    <head>
        <title>YOUR TITLE</title>   <!-- Title is one of the msot basic Search Engine Optimisations techniques there is, yet you do not have it. You must. -->
    </head>

<body>
         <!-- Divs etc go in here -->
      </body>
</html>

My suggestion to you is that you forget about creating a social network. Forget about using PHP. Learn the basics. Master the basics (or not.. I have been working on that for about 8 years).

I also suggest that you stop using tables for layouts, tables are for tabular data. I will not argue about it but Google does look for semantic code and tables for layouts is not semantic. It is also ugly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

I am not giving up on my social network i have built the whole thing up from scratch! no wordpress no copying any code. i have worked on this site for almost 2 years now if anything its my hobbie like a junk car that will never see the light of day. but when ever i come and ask how to change a tire or my oil you guys will come to me talking about how it will never run and how a corvette would beat it. yes these are all known to me, so instead of complaining about whats wrong with the site how about a little help?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

We are trying to help. You asked us how you should get Google to index your profiles, and we told you a few crucial things you need to do in order for that to happen. The most important of which is that you need to fix the HTML, and then that you let Google know where to find them.

To use your junk car metaphor: You basically asked us how you can get your car listed on the worlds most reputable car sales site, next to the Porsches and Corvettes. Well, the first thing you'd need to do is put together the basics: a frame, a few tires, an engine and a body. (You know, those things that make a car a car.) - While your car's body is all rusty and has large holes in it, and it's only got one busted tire, you can hardly expect anybody to be interested in listing it on their site, can you?

... if anything its my hobbie like a junk car that will never see the light of day.

If this is only a hobby that will never see the light of day, why would you want it listed on Google?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

You said you've been working on this site for 2 years, yet your HTML (I'm going to be totally honest), looks like utter shit. Are a developer and not a designer? If you're a developer then that'd make more sense. If you correct your HTML, then it'd be a bit better. Use the W3C Validator like Atli said, and then tackle each problem one step at a time. You don't have to restart you "whole" social network perse. But you could redo the design and with that do all the HTML and CSS correctly. It could be troublesome trying to fix it from where you are now. And like Shane Hudson said, learn the basics and try to master them. Don't do what I do when you get worked up with a project you have in mind that you get really far then you're stumped on something. It really sucks, especially when you end up giving up on it. Don't give up on your idea of a social network, but revamp what your current idea is. Get a goal, do you want to have a lot of people end up using it? Then make it more user friendly, more accessible, more browser compatible. Follow standards as your coding. Design efficiently and gracefully.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 16 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Wow. Just... wow.

I mean absolutely no offense here, but after 2 years, you should have basic html structure down to a science.... but you don't.

This is the basic setup for an HTML page:
<html>
<head>
... head stuff here (ie, css or link to external css, perhaps a small javascript or link to external javascript file) ...
</head>
<body>
... body stuff goes here (ie,ALL the tables, ALL the divs, ALL the content) ...
</body>
</html>

This is how your current code looks:
<html>
<head>
... head stuff ...
... body stuff (table) ...
</head>
... more body stuff (div) ...
<body>
... body stuff ...
</body>
... more body stuff (img and links) ...
</html>

Do you see the difference?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

How would Google even index the profiles, the site has a login screen, no sitemap - No bot can see past that.

When a bot crawls your site, it will get to the homepage and find 2 links (Create Account / Lost password) a few images, no actual text content - that's all.

As mentioned by others, the HTML is so broken, there's HTML in the CSS file :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1