3 Replies - 617 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Formatting Dual Boot to Linux/Virtual Windows 7

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

I currently have my system setup to dual boot Ubuntu and Wondoes 7. My Windows 7 is showing problems, and I have decided to format the hard drive, and load Ubuntu and to simply virtualize Windows 7. I am curious on the best method to do this. I'm not sure if I want to spend the time to DBAN it or a simplier format method. Any help will be appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Formatting Dual Boot to Linux/Virtual Windows 7

#2 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Formatting Dual Boot to Linux/Virtual Windows 7

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Why would you DBAN the drive? Are there some top-secret file on there you don't want anybody to be able to recover? - If not, then it would be a waste of time.

I'm assuming you've partitioned the hard drive so that Windows exists on a separate partition from Ubuntu? If so, you could just format that partition to remove the existing Windows installation, and then put the files for your new virtual Windows setup on there.

If the Ubuntu partition(s) aren't misbehaving too, there is hardly a reason to remove them as well? Unless you've just got an insurmountable urge to combine the whole drive and set up a clean version of Ubuntu? (Which I would totally understand :))
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yeah i would like to remove the windows partition, so that ubuntu has the entire hard drive. I can then just windows the space within the vm. I only need windows for a few programs i like in it better then thr linux versions or as needed for school.
I can use gparted to remove the windows partition right? If that true willdoing that format that partition?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

You can use gparted to delete a partition, yes. I think you do have to specifically ask to format it though, or it won't be.

If you want to use Ubuntu for the entire hard drive, why not boot Ubuntu using a live disk (either a disk or USB) and newly install over the entirety of the drive? If you want to keep your documents, it's usually as easy as backing up the /home partition and copying it back.

Make sure you update the bootloader if you are going to reformat it manually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1