9 Replies - 8310 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Why is my new laptop slower than old one?

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

I got a new laptop today as my other one is running into issues that I got about 3 years ago.

My old specs are:

Name - Pavillion Dv6
Graphics card - http://www.notebookc...50.13883.0.html
Processor - AMD turion X2 Dual core Mobile RM-74 2.2ghz
Ram - 4gb
Os - Windows 7 ultimate 32bit

New one is

Name - Pavillion Dv6
Graphics card - http://www.notebookc...0M.67737.0.html and http://www.notebookc...0G.54675.0.html
Processor - AMD A8-3550MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2ghz (quad core)
Ram - 8gb
Os - Windows 7 home premium 64bit

However, in games, the speed seems to be around 10% less.

In runescape, old one gives around 45-50 fps, new one, 35-45 (jumping higher occasionally), there is also a small freeze every few seconds when turning the camera, which i don't notice with the old one.

In minecraft, the fps here could largely depend on the environment, however, my old one seemed to average around 50, compared to 40-45ish, I also noticed there is a little more freezing on the new one.

In openGl blank canvas - 2600fps on old one, 2400-2500 on new one

Windows Experience index - old: Processor: 4.9, ram: 6.2, graphics: 6.6, gaming graphics 6.6, primary hard disk: 5.6

new: Processor: 7, ram: 7.4, graphics: 5.5, gaming graphics: 6.1, primary hard disk: 5.9

I've ended as many processes and services as I could before running the tests, too much preinstalled stuff >.>

So why is it slower? It didn't seem like it should be, For a 3 year gap, and around the same price of $1800, it seems to be a step backwards. I sure hope I can take it back and look around again if the problem can't be solved.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why is my new laptop slower than old one?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why is my new laptop slower than old one?

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

It's a more difficult to figure out when we don't have model numbers.

Why was your expectation this was going to be faster?

Have you eyeballed the event viewer (control panel -> admin tools) to see if anything is failing?

Killing tasks are one thing - have you uninstalled the bloat ware?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

I don't have the model number for the new one either, at least it's not on the laptop anywhere as far as I know, it maybe be on the receipt. I'll find it after this post.

I expected to to perform faster due to the increase in ram, quad core processing, and dual graphics. Though I am not a hardware expert, so I have limited knowledge on how these affect performance. Also, for the same price after a 3 year period, I thought it was fair to say that it was likely faster.

The event viewer I've never heard of, however I'll check it. Which reminds me when I was using the Catalyst Control Center to control the cards setting, it said it could not find the graphics driver, or it is not functioning properly. If it did find it, the application would crash an arbitrary time later. I've already repacked the computer, but if I can't exchange it, I will check that out and report back.

As for bloatware, I didn't bother uninstalling everything as I figured it wouldn't increase my fps to something that is a few bigger than what I have on the old one.

Although, I think I have found better laptops again for even less price... 2gb dedicated (above ones are shared) graphics, quad i7, same ram with room to double it (won't be necessary though). Hopefully that's the outcome.

Edit: old model is dv6-1107ax, new is dv6-6c04ax

This post has been edited by Mylo: 12 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

what's the specific series of the newone? dv6-6c000? I can't seem to find your actual specs anywhere online so I am still flying blind. the RAM should give a boost but nothing too phenomenal... quad core doesn't mean faster when compared to a dual.. I can't verify any dual graphics card, but that does seem unlikely. If those 'windows experience' bit are to be taken seriously it looks like a scaled back processor clock speed and your graphics card are to blame.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I also can't find anything online for the new one. All I know is that is is HP Pavillion DV6-6C04AX.

As for the underclocking, I have no idea how to raise it up a bit, almost all the settings in BIOS are grayed out. I think due to HP ProtectTools which I wasn't going to disable until I know I will have it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

When I say different clock speeds I mean your old cpu was 2.2ghz and your new one is 2ghz.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:12 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 June 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

When I say different clock speeds I mean your old cpu was 2.2ghz and your new one is 2ghz.

Try to free the ram memory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Are you running 32bit software on the 64bit OS?

Also, as previously mentioned, remove the bloat from the OS startup & installation (registry) before you even start to troubleshoot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

It doesn't matter now. I traded it in for one slightly lower price, but better. It is doing a solid 50fps in many area (they have limited fps to 50), and around 700 on minecraft.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

HP (and other companies but HP is horrible for this) love to toss in a butch of extra special programs because you 'need' them for a perfect computing experience. Honestly a new laptop needs a good format and reinstall using a windows disc based on the licence affixed to the laptop. not the recovery discs. Chances are these extra programs are clogging up your extra power in the system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1