4 Replies - 592 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2012 - 12:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Debugging question

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi everyone. I am trying to debug a website that is giving me errors in some of the SQL database calls. However I need to find out what the call looks like at runtime because they are generated in the C# code of the website. The problem is that this website relies on a DLL file and doesn't have the C# code in the directory. I have a base template of this website that has the C# code, but when I deploy a template I compile the code and the resulting website doesn't have the C#, just a dll. I am kind of a newbie at debugging this stuff... I was thinking I have to copy the C# code to the ASP.NET website I want to debug, and then change the settings so that it uses the C# code instead of the dll and I can insert breakpoints and check out what's going on.

Any ideas? Sorry if it's kind of confusing

Edit: Just wanted to ask if it's possible to debug this while it's on the IIS server. I have debug enabled in the config file but it doesn't show me what the SQL query is that is giving the error, just the error itself

This post has been edited by chiguy: 14 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Debugging question

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Debugging question

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

You would have to have it output (to a textfile, a popup, etc) the string. That means you would need to add those options to your code and then redeploy it.

Typically you can get away with running the web solution on your local machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 June 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

You would have to have it output (to a textfile, a popup, etc) the string. That means you would need to add those options to your code and then redeploy it.

Typically you can get away with running the web solution on your local machine.

Yeah I'm trying to run it locally but it doesn't seem to work. I just copied the files to my local machine and opened them as a website in VS2010. When I click on any links they redirect but then dont load the page, I just get a blank page with a "Not Found" title.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

*sigh* Okay no.. You have your websolution folder... you know the thing with all the broken out codebehind and solution files? *NOT* the compiled bin, dlls, and junk you would deploy. You want the solution folder!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 June 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

*sigh* Okay no.. You have your websolution folder... you know the thing with all the broken out codebehind and solution files? *NOT* the compiled bin, dlls, and junk you would deploy. You want the solution folder!

Ahhhhh okay. Thank you, I get it now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1