3 Replies - 2404 Views - Last Post: 27 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is a CIS degree good?

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I did some research and found this: http://stackoverflow...t-information-s

If I graduate and I would pursue a career as a programmer, does it really matter what me degree title is? (CIS, MIS, CS, IT etc.) I study B.Sc. CIS through Athabasca University; the course plan has suggestion (see here: http://scis.athabasc...ecialization/); a set of course where you specialize in something such as Data Administration, Computer Science, Java Programmer etc. If I specialize in Computer Science would this degree combined with the set of course in CS entitle me to a job ad that asks for a CS degree? I just want to ensure my employ-ability after spending 4-5 years studying the B.Sc. CIS program. :sweatdrop:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is a CIS degree good?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is a CIS degree good?

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

If I specialize in Computer Science would this degree combined with the set of course in CS entitle me to a job ad that asks for a CS degree?

Frankly it doesn't entitle you to diddly squat. All it does is provides you a piece of paper saying you've learned broad strokes of computer-ie things, test well enough, interact socially well enough, and could pay for school.

If I graduate and I would pursue a career as a programmer, does it really matter what me degree title is? (CIS, MIS, CS, IT etc.)

In theory no, but there's specializations for a reason - they focus more on an area and less on another.. IF you come out with an MIS degree it's easy programming and easy business classes - not something that screams "I want to code!". You would specialize because those are class YOU want to take that provide an interest and depth to get the most out of college.. FOR YOU.

I just want to ensure my employ-ability after spending 4-5 years studying the B.Sc. CIS program. :sweatdrop:

That depends on what you do with your education and time at college. Do you spend it dicking around and getting mediocre grades, copying and pasting code from the internet to do your assignments, and then bitch school didn't teach you enough syntax or languages? Perhaps you got good to above average grades, saw the courses for the long term knowledge, and took some initiative to apply and use what you learn in class outside of it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Please, no matter what degree you go for-- try to get experience in your free time working on hobby projects or open source projects.

We've interviewed people with master's degrees that when asked about "inheritance" they told us-- "Oh, that's like the Cow -> Chicken thing, right?"

In other words, a degree doesn't matter.

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 19 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'm going to agree with the others and say that the degree doesn't get you jack. Having graduated in the past with a CIS a degree at most it may get your resume an initial glance and most likely nothing more. Having real world experience, course work focused on your chosen path, work samples, certifications and the like are more likely to get the attention of a potential future employer.

Sorry to say, but right now the only guarantees that you have are death and taxes. The only to improve your chances of getting a job is to work on making your work stand for itself and separate you from the rest of the crowd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1