14 Replies - 1881 Views - Last Post: 20 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Designing My Blog Homepage (WIP)

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hey guys, I haven't posted much in the past year. lol, a lot of you probably don't even remember me haha. Well, I quit web design and development for a while (only stating it because it's the reason for a design, not making this a "Oh look at me I'm back!" thread). Now I'm doing web design and development. Currently I'm trying to design a blog for my site. I usually do a ton of redesigns on my personal sites because I'm usually never satisfied with my designs (kind of a perfectionist :P). This is the main reason for me not having a blog. I don't want to use WordPress or any other CMS with they're themes. I want to build my own blog system and have my own theme.

With that out of the way I can get to the main part. The design. I've been working on this design for a little over a day now. It's still a WIP at the moment. While wire-framing this design I tried to branch out and see what I could do. I started playing with CSS3 properties I'm not quite used to in order to learn more about them. Doing so I created the way that blog posts will be shown on the index page. Which I quite like to be honest. I then added the dates in and made them shift colors based on where it was in the list of posts. I then added a picture that would be of the author (me lol).

I really want your guys feedback before I go into designing the other pages for my blog. I want to get this first page down pat before I move on since all the other pages will have a similar design to this one. Thanks guys. Any suggestions is welcomed. ^.^

Meh Blog

EDIT: BTW, I have a lot of ideas for even this page. I plan on updating this thread with my progress as I got along with the design.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 15 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Designing My Blog Homepage (WIP)

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Designing My Blog Homepage (WIP)

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Honestly it's boring... and it's too tightly woven so you have a wall of text here.. and it's not colorful.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thanks modi! I'll try adding some colors in the morning! What do you think of the structure though? Is that boring or confusing? The only reason it seems to be a huge wall of text is because I'm using Lorem Ipsum as a place holder. When I have the blog setup, that'll be a description area with a set amount of allowed characters. It'll be no where near what you see there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

... well how about you get it closer to what it looks like so my critique might be more relevant? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Sooooo, lol, how about now? Does the white text look readable on the red and blue content boxes? Or do you think red and blue are bad choices for colors? Also, is the header fine the way it was, or should I change that also? It looks like a metro app now :o lmao

BTW, before, the color change was more subtle, I usually go for a minimalsim type look. With the colors varying in much contrast now, things pop out more, but is it too much contrast?

lol second edit :P. Alright, I'll work on the homepage a little more and get it to look more how it will if it were actually a blog.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 16 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Dear lord it looks like a bombpop.. Try toning them back.. with more white. A faded look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

lmao, I think I'll go back to the old colors (I preferred them), but I'll make it look more what my wireframe was, then maybe the lack of colors would be complimented with what I had in mind :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

OH GOD MY EYES
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

The contrast of the two main colors is making me dizzy. Tone them down, I guess? I remember you. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

The two main colora are actually gray. I'm not near my computer so I haven't been able to upload my changes to it. Lmao.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 19 June 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

OH GOD MY EYES

^

---

And... you are the only one posting on the blog? If so it's kinda annoying your picture on the side of every post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

I presume you didn't read my reply? Oh well. And I understand that the repetitive use of an avatar may be excessive since I'm the only one posting. But the main use of that circle is for an image to be put in. It don't have to be a picture of the post author. It could be an icon of a post type. There's nothing I can do until i get back to my computer. There's only so much I can do from my iPhone lol :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

I've uploaded the changes I've made to the site (http://terryjune.me/). All those posts are supposed to represent different post types, or the same post types with different elements with it.

The first is kinda like a tweet, or a status update on any social network. It may just be a quick update on something, with no title or anything special about it, but people will be able to comment on it.

The second is an actual blog post. It has a title (should I make it a link?). Then a brief description of what the post is about. At the bottom in the footer of the box there is a link to go comment (and see how many comments there are), and a link to read more.

The third is a photo with a caption.

The forth is a photo with a header and a brief description underneath it. Basically the same as a normal blog post, just with an image at the top (header image). I do have a question pertaining to that though, should I change the color of the header link?

So yeah, criticize it please :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

Definite improvement. Comments don't work thought. And the word bubbles should point somewhere, shouldn't they? Well, some of the pointy ends point to nothing. I guess if they pointed to the date it would be better. Vokalia and Consonantia? Lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

lol read my first post XP. There is not blog yet. It's just the design of the homepage. The comments will point somewhere eventually, none of the links point anywhere right now. It's not really that much of an improvement considering most of it is what I started with though! haha. I'm not usually good with color schemes though so I guess picking blue and red as a second one was kinda stupid. Yeah, I guess I can make it point to the actual dates. That would be better and probably would make a readers eyes move over to the side to see when it was posted. ummm what's vokalia and consonantia? It appears the site is down for some reason :/. Maybe 000webhost is having a problem with the servers.

lol I see what you mean by Vokalia and Consonantia, I got those from using a text generator, kinda like Lorem Ipsum, I just wanted to see what it would look like with English words there.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 21 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1