6 Replies - 812 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2012 - 08:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating a game.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I shall place it in this forum, I hope you don't mind :3

Well I've been learning C# & XNA for about 2 years now and I've decided that I don't like how I'm restricted to Windows and Xbox only.
I was wondering if anybody could suggest some good ways to get started on created games.
Like a nice programming language and environment.

I feel pretty confident in my programming skills to be able to learn new stuff.

I've been wanted to make some Client/Server games for a while but I've been unsure on where to start?

Thanks!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating a game.

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating a game.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Just let me clarify:

Well I've been learning C# & XNA for about 2 years now and I've decided that I don't like how I'm restricted to Windows and Xbox only.

So you are looking for a cross platform solution?

If so then a cross platform solution would be the use of OpenGL but standard OpenGL is restricted to the C/C++ programming languages. There has been a port of the OpenGL library to C# called OpenTK which I have heard is a good port that is a wrapper for OpenGL, OpenAL and OpenCL.

In terms of network programming with C#, you may find this paper helpful.

Finally I assume this will be your first networked game. The goal is to start small, I suggest perhaps aim to do a pong clone that you can play over the internet. It sounds boring but it will demonstrate what you need to write bigger and better games. If you are confused by the logic behind a client/server setup; This book is really good (I found so at-least) or you can look for a shorter tutorial online :)

I hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

View Postv0rtex, on 16 June 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

Just let me clarify:

So you are looking for a cross platform solution?

If so then a cross platform solution would be the use of OpenGL but standard OpenGL is restricted to the C/C++ programming languages. There has been a port of the OpenGL library to C# called OpenTK which I have heard is a good port that is a wrapper for OpenGL, OpenAL and OpenCL.

In terms of network programming with C#, you may find this paper helpful.

Finally I assume this will be your first networked game. The goal is to start small, I suggest perhaps aim to do a pong clone that you can play over the internet. It sounds boring but it will demonstrate what you need to write bigger and better games. If you are confused by the logic behind a client/server setup; This book is really good (I found so at-least) or you can look for a shorter tutorial online :)

I hope this helps!

Oh thanks for that! I always jump in with something far too big. Networked pong sounds like it would be fun.
I will look at that OpenGL and such. I'll see what fits to the way I program.

Thanks (:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

You may also find this good. Here: http://www.switchont...aded-tcp-server
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Since you've got experience with XNA and C#, I'd suggest that you look into MonoGame which allows you to take the games that you have created with XNA 4.0 and make some modifications and release them on iOS devices, Android devices, and even Mac and Linux PC's.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 16 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Java is a great intrinsically cross-platform language that is similar to C#. You might want to switch over to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostMr. House, on 17 June 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Java is a great intrinsically cross-platform language that is similar to C#. You might want to switch over to it.

I agree with House, Java is very open to beginners, it is the first language I started to program with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1