6 Replies - 1069 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2012 - 02:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

In need of an introduction to how game development works.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hello there,

I was wondering if there is anyone here who would be so kind as to give me an introduction to how game devlopment works and also why C++ is used for game programming.

If anyone can be of any assistance i will be very grateful as im looking to start the path to becoming a programmer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: In need of an introduction to how game development works.

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: In need of an introduction to how game development works.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Check out 's blog entry on game programming.

While a lot of people get into programming because they want to make games, don't jump into developing games right away. Game programming (especially on the level of something like WoW, which a lot of people seem to want to make) is not easy, and a lot of people get frustrated when they delve right into it with no programming experience. Start by picking a language and learning it. Then as you learn it, focus on making simple games like Rock-Paper-Scissors, Blackjack, or a guessing game. Proceed from there to something like Pong or Tetris after you learn graphics programming. It's always better to tackle something a little challenging and be able to accomplish it, then to get way in over your head and feel frustrated. Good luck with your endeavors! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

If you already have the basics down in C++, Then maybe take a look at SDL. Here is a couple of really good tutorials. It is a rather easy library but still powerful enough to make some nice 2D games :)

As for why C++ is generally used for Game Programming, look here.

But as a hobbyist, it really is up to you. You can use Java or Python if you want.

This post has been edited by v0rtex: 17 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Try making gamess with terminal. Thats how im doing it right now :3 learn small then go for big lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

C++ is the game programing language because it's just about as low level as you can get. It's extremely close to Assembler which is direct control of the machine. Because of that nothing will run as fast or give you as much control.

I like game programing in C# because it's a lot easier and performs "well enough". It's a great way to learn.

But C# is platform specific and can never quite perform like C++. However, the question is whether you need the power of C++ for simple and hobby games like the type that a single person could possibly put together.

C++ gives you direct access to DirectX and OpenGL which are SDKs/Librarys that give you direct control over the graphics card. C# with XNA uses DirectX under the hood, but you don't have direct access to DirectX that way.

As far as how games are put together, it depends. Really, any programming language can be used to make games. It's mostly a question of what type of game you're trying to put together and whether the game needs the power of a powerful language like C++. For example, C++ is not really a language that you would use to put together browser based games.

If you're wanting to do 2D games, you may find several languages that do the job quite nicely. If you're putting together a commercial venture 3D game like Bethesda's Oblivion or Halo C++ is probably the language of choice, but other languages like C# with XNA may do well enough for that type of game for a "learning" or "hobby" project. Major commercial titles are produced by large teams of people working 8 hour days for years. When you're doing it by yourself you're game is just not going to be nearly that complex.

For a big commercial 3D title they would likely be programming in C++ and using something like DirectX or OpenGL for the graphics. Then there is a tremendous amount of art work that is put into the game using various programs. You have music, sound effects, 3D models, textures, annimation, and other things that all have to be created for the game using special programs for each. You also generally have tools, such as level editors which are seperate programs that put everything together for each "level" or zone of the game.

The thing to do is pick a language, any language really, and learn it. As you learn the language, you'll start seeing how it can be used to write games. Start out simple and work your way up. You can't start out trying to make "Halo". That's the sort of thing you spend years working up to, not to mention that something as big as Halo is really a large team project.

I always recommend learning C# and XNA to start out with unless you are really wanting to do browser games or games for mobile devices other than Windows Phone (XNA can be used for Windows Phone games).

This post has been edited by BBeck: 17 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

Wow thank you all for the replies ive found them very informative,
The main reason i asked is because im going to start a course in C & C++ in septemper, then from there progress my skills and hopefully learn other languages.
Once again thank you guys very much for your helpful replies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

Hi haywire2012

As well as the very sound advice from macosxnerd101, you need to get out of the mentality of relying on courses and people to teach you about game programming. Game programming is very much a self-taught skill that those who turn professional have invested a huge amount of their own time outside of class teaching themselves the skills required to turn pro.

If you intend turning pro I suggest you get going now and get on to C++ by whichever route you take to becoming proficient as soon as possible. Take on difficult programming challenges to to with programming games, you don't have to write the standard Pong or Tetris games, I never did and I'm pro - in fact I've never written a 2D game in my life, preferring to dive right into 3D.

You have a big challenge ahead with a lot of experienced people to impress. Also Google 'IGDA breaking into the industry' for further advice from others who have walked that road, and 'Sloperama' for a wake-up call on the type of character you need to be and further advice on the requirements to get in for even the most basic of entry levels for studio jobs.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1