2 Replies - 364 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need the simplest, easiest way to have a website do a survey

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

I learned BASIC with a Commodore 64/AppleIIc back in the stone age. Iíve taught myself enough html to design simple websites. But I am trying to design a website that will have a presidential election game as its main feature. So I am trying to learn Javascript.

The basic game will have players answer trivia questions about the individual states to win electoral votes and answer questions about American history and government to raise campaign money. But I also want to let real people submit real questions to a message board and then let the gameís players debate and then let real people vote on whom it is that wins the debates. Since I donít want any single political ideology to dominate the debate questions I want to design a survey that will determine participantsí political beliefs. The survey will have (at least) 13 issues and each survey taker will choose one of 6 possible positions to represent his views. Each position for each issue will have a numeric value 1-6 (the positions change for each issue but their numeric value will be the same, i.e., all conservative positions will have a numeric value of 1, all libertarian positions will be a 2 and so on), and I need to add up how many times the position for each number is selected, i.e., 13 1 answers will mean the survey taker is 100% conservative.

I have talked about this on another message board trying to figure out how to write the code for the survey. But I was given several different sets of code to do the survey with html forms and radio buttons, but they were all too complicated for me to understand at the moment and none of the examples I was given would actually work. Can you use radio buttons without dealing with forms? Is there any way to present an issue, have the survey taker input his answer, have the computer do the arithmetic to count the answer and then go to the next issue?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need the simplest, easiest way to have a website do a survey

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need the simplest, easiest way to have a website do a survey

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'll move this to Web Development.

Because you want to save the messages to a database, you will need a server-side language such as PHP, ASP.NET, or ColdFusion to accomplish this. PHP is easy to get going with, and fairly straight-forward to pick up.

To do this, you will need to work with HTML forms on the front-end.

We have an extensive tutorials section on DIC of which you are welcome to take advantage. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need the simplest, easiest way to have a website do a survey

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

To add to macosxnerd101 reply, I would say that you need to take a big step back.

Before you can build this web application, I strongly suggest that you learn two key components that you will need:

* A server side language (such as php, asp.net, jsp, etc)
* Database platform, such as MySQL, MSSQL.

Once you understand and are able to work with those two technologies. Then you can begin to tackle your project.

This post has been edited by TheITNinja: 18 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1