7 Replies - 1070 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is AP computer scince good? and other questions

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm trying to take AP computer science for virtual school and im wondering on what its like. Any tips to help me out if i get classroom availability since i like coding and want to get a career for Game programming :3. And another question. Is linux good for using in coding since i have 2GB ram, Win7 laptop. I only have round 1GB ram left for usage since most programs i use overuse a lot of memory like game engines since Im looking at how to make a game on my spare time. I already know that making a game might take a very long time. Right now i know a basic of C++ and learning Ruby, JAVA, C/C# when i have time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is AP computer scince good? and other questions

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is AP computer scince good? and other questions

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Computer science is just like what it says, the science of computing. Algorithms, programming, networking, understanding computers, thinking like a computer etc.

You should up your RAM to at least 4GB but it is fine for programming. Just don't run the game engines and stuff if you are not using them at the moment.

Linux is ok if you prefer that but if you have a windows computer, just use that. It will give you access to the .NET languages, XNA etc.

Not sure what else you want to know. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

I would jump up to 4GB or 6GB its just i dont know how to remove and install on a compaq laptop. And my parents wont like spending money on something they think its "worthless". Once i start my laptop up it takes around 10 mins to load everything up while at least 90% of RAM is being used. I'm wondering if i should take my AP classes with linux since with windows most of the text editors or compilers would just crash but with linux it would sometimes stop working with typing. I dont know why it does that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I must ask. Is It Possible to make a small 2D zombie shooting with a scoreboard with ruby? I think ruby might get a little more easy to understand and learn since C++ is a bit complicated since i have bad memory. Links and tips for ruby?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Your project is possible in most languages. I think if you try and delve right into it regardless of language, you'll be frustrated if you aren't familiar with the language. Game programming isn't easy. Take your time and thoroughly learn the language. Tackle smaller games, like a guessing game or rock-paper-scissors. As you progress, tackle slightly bigger projects. A challenge is good, as it forces you to grow as a developer. Being over your head isn't a good thing, and it can get very frustrating.

As for the AP CS class, I took it my junior year of high school. The curriculum covers stages 1-2 in my thread Getting Better at Programming Java, recursion, and the AP CS GridWorld API. I think GridWorld is crap, but the idea is to reinforce OOP concepts. At least, as far as the AP exam, you'll have one FRQ and five of your forty MC questions on GridWorld. You'll have the API given to you for the test.

I think the curriculum, minus GridWorld, is decent. It compares closely, and sometimes exceeds college level intro to Java classes, which are what you will get credit for if you pass the exam (generally with a 4-5). The exam in and of itself is pretty easy to pass if you know your Java. It's mostly following code samples for the multiple choice, and OOP on the free response.

As for the actual instruction of the course, it varies as we see a lot on the forums. There are a lot of crappy intro teachers, both at the high school and college level. There are also people with varying aptitudes for programming, and it can be frustrating. The best advice I can give if you're taking the AP course in the fall is to move your efforts into learning Java. Write as many programs as you can. Look over topics in the forums that cover the curriculum I mentioned above, and try to implement solutions to the assignments yourself.

I have some blog entries as well on the AP CS course you may find helpful:
http://www.dreaminco...ience-approach/
http://www.dreaminco...r-science-exam/
http://www.dreaminco...eview-sessions/
http://www.dreaminco...science-a-exam/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

Thanks. Some topics for AP might help me out. Im planning to use C++ or Ruby to make this 2D game. Or use a game engine and code whatever is needed from there.
C++/OpenGL for multiplatform.
Ruby/RubyDL
I know how to do most of the basic programs since im usually messing around with them. I want to get a challenge while making this game since its 3 of us working on this. A small indie team to be exact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

AP Computer Science is good if you love coding.. you say you got bad memory? Programming is not about cramming codes but understanding them and knowing how to use them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'm stocking up with eBooks for reference since I will need to look at them at random times to be able to understand what I have to do. I'm currently going for Ruby and OpenGL for my 2D idea. I'm looking at ruby forums right now to see what I can grab from there and learn from something interesting that might pop up for me. Hmm im only 16 and I have bad memory. Might there a problem with that for me? ;p

If anyone can help me with tips for Ruby and OpenGL. It will be a very nice thanks since im trying to spend my 2 months of summer to at least get a small version out for testing for friends. If they like it then ill work more for it, If they don't like it ill still work on it to make sure i can get it right. :hang: But first I must look for tutorials on making small games for ruby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1