9 Replies - 730 Views - Last Post: 27 June 2012 - 08:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Development Engine Should I Use

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hello. My name is Nathan Cash and I am 14 years old. I have been programming for several years and so far I know HTML, CSS, GML, and a little bit of Javascript. My current project is being made in Game Maker and is turning out very well. For my next game I would like to use a more powerful engine. What is the best game engine to use? What is the best language for a 14 year old coming out of GML? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Development Engine Should I Use

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Development Engine Should I Use

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

If you are interested in learning how to program games at a lower level than Game Maker Language. I think you should perhaps give C# and XNA a go or Python and PyGame a go (the former is a lot more powerful). Just an idea :)

This post has been edited by v0rtex: 19 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

C# and XNA probably would be a good choice for you. You would have to learn C# first, but there are quite a few books out there on C#. You can get C# for free from Microsoft's website. The books, of course, will cost you but maybe you can find a book in the school library or something.

http://www.microsoft...-csharp-express

XNA is a seperate download for C#. You have to install C# and then install XNA.

You can make games using just C#, but XNA allows you to do a lot more with your graphics than C# alone does. XNA also supports input from an XBox game controller on your PC and probably supports sound a lot better than C# alone does.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=23714

You can find books on XNA, but there are not many for the current version of XNA (4.0). XNA 3.0 and XNA 4.0 are different enough that examples written for one will not work on the other without quite a bit of modification, but you can download both versions of XNA for free from Microsoft.

I haven't read it, but this book looked like it would be good for someone who has never done XNA before.
http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=XNA#_

Really, you should read a C# book from cover to cover before trying XNA. XNA is 90% C# and 10% XNA game programming. Understanding C# first will help you understand XNA a whole lot more and greatly increase what you can do with XNA.

And XNA is a game programming framework that's pretty easy to learn (probably similar to GML), but it's also very powerful.

With XNA you can either keep it pretty simple or get into very complicated parts of game programing, such as 3D and High Level Shader Language. But you can go into those things at your own pace when you feel ready for them. XNA is capable of producing pretty simple games pretty easily all the way to very complicated games with advanced techniques.

It's just a great way to learn game programming.

It's not really an engine (C# is an actual language and XNA is a framework for C# game programming - what that means is that it will take you a lot deeper than an engine would), but it sounds like it would be a great next step for you in learning game programming.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 19 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks! Ill download it and let you know how it goes! Did you say you can make 3d games? I'm not quite ready for that yet but if you can it would be great. Otherwise I could just use Unity because I think it supports C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostGame_Creator, on 19 June 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Thanks! Ill download it and let you know how it goes! Did you say you can make 3d games? I'm not quite ready for that yet but if you can it would be great. Otherwise I could just use Unity because I think it supports C#.

Never mind. I figured it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

i am 12 and i also know HTML5/CSS3/GML all to a advanced level and i went to c++ last month and i love it so in my opinion if you plan to use software development as a job then go with C++ if you plan for it to be a hobby go for c# as it is easier
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I do plan for programming to be my job. I also know several adults who get paid well programming in C#. From what I know C# isn't necessarily harder. And the harder the language does not mean the better or more professional it is. Anyways if you already know html/css to an advanced level and your only 12 that's impressive. I know them to an advanced level also but I'm 14. It also seems to me that C# is more flexible.

C# features that C++ doesn't have:

Fully automatic memory management
Lambda functions
Type inference
Reflection
Remoting
Automatic serialization
True entity types
Properties
Database integration via LINQ
Convenient functional-style programming via LINQ
No header files
No undefined behavior
Direct interoperability with many languages
Compile once, run everywhere

C++ features that C# doesn't have:
Template metaprogramming
Typedefs
Zero-overhead principle
Means to enforce const-correctness
Mature compilers that produce extremely optimized code nowadays
Much wider platform support
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

I aggre with you completly in all points given to c# but in my opinion i have 2 reasons why C++ is better for game development 1.you can run that shit on ANYTHING basically 2.you get hired better for game development if using c++ as it is industy standard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. C# is going really well and i'm understanding it too.

View PostEvanClark, on 25 June 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

I aggre with you completly in all points given to c# but in my opinion i have 2 reasons why C++ is better for game development 1.you can run that shit on ANYTHING basically 2.you get hired better for game development if using c++ as it is industy standard.

If I want to pursue Game Design as a full time job for a big company I will have to learn C++. I would sign up for C++ classes when I go to college if thats what I want to do. C# is working well for me so far and I really like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

Nonsense, a game design job does not at all require knowledge of C++. Please tell me where on earth you got that from.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1