178 Replies - 10131 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Microsoft Surface

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Official Website:
http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx

I can't wait to buy this. My father owns an iPad 64GB and I love it, I can only assume that this will kicks it's ass. Imagine taking a dump with this bad boy!

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 19 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Microsoft Surface

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Surface

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

Wouldn't that get it dirty?

Oh, WITH not ON. My fault.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

I still want to know what the price is gonna be. Depending on that, it could be pretty nice or it could be a complete waste.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Good luck on trying to make me want one microsoft, you gonna need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Wait what? The surface a few years ago was a touch screen the size of a table and now I'm seeing this. Looks sleek nonetheless and dramatically smaller.

Picture of Large Surface
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

yeah the table is called pixelsense now or something and the tablets are surface now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Ya, many people was expecting that the original Surface (the table one) would be such a hit.

But a tablet? C'mon, I don't need a f*cking tablet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

POPULAR

Don't get one then.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

The pro version might be worth it to me. A tablet that can actually function as a laptop as well is welcome (with expansion ports, and a proper operating system... iOS blows, and Android's interface is blargh). The WinRT one looks all right, but I'd probably spend the extra money and get the better supported hardware. I bet I could even slip a few extra operating systems on it easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

View Postanonymouscodder, on 19 June 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Ya, many people was expecting that the original Surface (the table one) would be such a hit.

Truly not many end users would find a large, fragile and expensive screen very useful in the middle of their dining room so the amount of potential customers dropped big time.

I would try the current Surface tablet if it comes with an OS like Windows 7. Could even manage a lite version of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

It'll be running Windows 8 or Windows RT (which is Windows 8 for ARM) depending which version you get.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

View Postcodeprada, on 19 June 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

View Postanonymouscodder, on 19 June 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Truly not many end users would find a large, fragile and expensive screen very useful in the middle of their dining room so the amount of potential customers dropped big time.

I would try the current Surface tablet if it comes with an OS like Windows 7. Could even manage a lite version of it.

That was the biggest flaw really. It would be really cool if it wasn't so breakable. It could easily replace coffee table books. Need to look up a location quick. Table. Want to see what other movies that actor was in. Table. Lonely and need something to screw? Bam. Table.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

I was hoping for the Courier, but this looks pretty bad ass all the way around.

Side note I wanted the table top Surface thing painfully much. One day I will have both!

All of this is from the wired blog posting of the event.

Various specs:

Surface for Windows RT will be available in 32gb and 64gb, and will be priced comparably to other Windows RT devices. Windows 8 Pro will come in 64gb and 128gb and will be priced comparably to other Windows 8 Pro.

Cover/keyboard:

We really understand how to create a great typing experience,” Panay says. The technology behind Touch Cover is seven layers squeezed into the cover. Touch Cover knows the grams of force coming out of your hand. As you put pressure on the keys, the Touch Cover is actually measures the pressure, it’s 10x faster as measuring that than any keyboard you could purchase today,

Touch Cover has an accelerometer built into it, so it knows when you pull it back.

The keyboard even has a built-in trackpad.

case:

It’s the first PC with a full magnesium case, called VaporMG Case. It’s just under 1.54 pounds.

VaporMg is melted magnesium molded down very thin. “Every micron matters within Microsoft Surface

Surface is super thin, at 9.3mm, just thin enough for a full-size USB port.

Display

The resolution is 1080p. But there is also a display port,

Surface also supports digital ink. Anguilo is demonstrating how you can write directly on a document using a stylus. The ink is being sampled at 600dpi, so it keeps your handwriting really smooth

It has a full Cleartype full HD display. It’s a combination of pixel geometry, rendering, and optical bonding technology that makes it so your eye cannot distinguish between individual pixels. It looks like Microsoft’s take on Apple’s Retina display!

The display is made of Gorilla Glass.

Camera:

There’s also a camera on Surface, angled at 22 degrees.

Wifi:

Surface needs WiFi — it has two antennas —

A more wordy version:

Microsoft Surface comes in two iterations: One running Windows 8 Pro on top of Intel Silicon (an Ivy Bridge chip with yet-to-be-defined specs), and one running Windows RT on top of Nvidia silicon (perhaps the next iteration of Nvidia’s Tegra family — neither nVidia nor Microsoft is currently sharing specifics). The two tablets share a common industrial design language, including bezeled edges angled at 22 degrees, and physical chassis made of “VaporMG,” a fancy-schmancy new material that aims for a tactile finish worthy of a high-end, luxury watch.

The two tablets also share 10.6-inch screens, front- and back-mounted cameras, integrated kickstands (also made of VaporMG), full-sized USB ports, and dual Wi-Fi antennas to ensure seamless media streaming. But beyond that, the specs diverge significantly between the two models.

The Windows RT device is the thinner of the two tablets at 9.3mm (and it’s also exactly 0.1mm thinner than Apple’s new iPad). Surface for Windows RT is also the lighter of the two Surface tablets at 676 grams, and runs a “ClearType HD” display of an unreported resolution. Data I/O is supported by microSD, USB 2.0, and Micro HD Video ports. Storage can be configured to 32GB and 64GB.

Surface for Windows 8 Pro is beefier all around. Aside from its Intel Ivy Bridge processor, the tablet is thicker at 13.5mm, and heavier at 903 grams. But it also comes with a ClearType “Full HD” display capable of 1080p video playback. Data I/O is also gussied up — you’ll get microSDXC, USB 3.0, and a Mini DisplayPort video connector. Storage can be configured to 64GB and 128GB.

Oh, and how’s this for productivity options: The Windows 8 Pro version comes with a stylus that lets you write in digital ink with 600dpi precision.

save that Surface for Windows RT will launch when Windows 8 launches, which we expect to happen in the third quarter of this year. Surface for Windows 8 Pro should launch three months after the RT iteration
cite

From the article the take away, and why this should be a great device is simplyh put:

Microsoft is pitching the Windows 8 Pro tablet as a no-excuses productivity machine

That would be my reason for the buy in right there.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 19 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm still not sold on the whole tablet thing in general, but if I could get my hands on one I might be swayed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

I used to never even care about tablets - until I actually used one for some time. It's fantastic! The future is here.

I use my fathers iPad to read the news in the morning and read books at night. It's a great tool. If you have the disposable income, you should get one. I'm buying myself a Surface once it comes out. As much as I like the iPad, there's nothing like using a full OS on a machine you own.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 19 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »