• Last »

178 Replies - 9757 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

#106 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Surface

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Another thing to remember is that this isn't going to be the only Windows 8 RT tablet; there will be others coming out at the same time, and more later. It's more like Android in that regard.

I will say this about the Nexus 7: it's awesome at its price point. Some of the best money I've ever spent on a device. It's not exactly feature-packed, but it's great for around-the-house use. It's also made my iPad feel huge; I think the 7 inch form factor is just right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

I agree that its about 100 dollars too much. I'm sure there are people who still will buy it at that point and hopefully they will enjoy it. It think we were blinded by the idea that they would price these as competitive tablets with awesome specs but instead they are decent laptop specs at an awesome price with a touch screen. At least it leaves tons of room for 3rd party manufactures to out price them and hopefully put out some real awesome tablets. I still hope windows 8 does well and eventually turns into something I really want a tablet for but that price is definitely too high to take a chance on out of the gate.

This post has been edited by bflosabre91: 16 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

The whole Windows 8 thing ruins it a bit for me, but even then I would still get it if it were cheaper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I just bought myself an Amazon Kindle Fire for 200$.

I can read news.
I can read my email.
My son can play his Angry Birds.
My wife can Facebook.

Best money I spent on a gadget yet, so cheap yet so features and useful. The 7'' tablet is the right size for me. The price for the Surface dissapointed me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#110 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

The whole Windows 8 thing ruins it a bit for me

Whatever concerns about W8 on the desktop there are, this is actually where it shines. W8 is designed around the tablet. That's actually what everyone has bitched about to this point, "I don't want a tablet OS on my desktop". Well, this thing isn't a desktop, nor even a laptop. It's basically a better-featured iPad, so W8 RT should be a perfect fit.

Which part about it is ruining things for you?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'm really not surprised by the price point at all, honestly. Sure, it was nice to hope for it to beat the iPad in price, but a bit unrealistic. I'm anxious to see whether or not the Pro version comes in below $1000 (or I guess $999.99).

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 18 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I am digging it.. and my boss was planning on hitting up the KC Microsoft store around the 28th, but found out his wife pushed back the trip another week.. so he just bought one. Ha! New toy!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

To people saying it's fragile, I recently read an article about the Microsoft Surface being used as a skateboard. I originally read it on Technobuffalo, however:

Surface Skateboard

I think this looks amazing compared to the iPad and if I could, I'd buy it. I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it after sometime being out. Maybe then I'll invest/save up for one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Sadly, not shocked by the price... I am curious on the battery life, and the exclusion of the cover annoys me, but it sounds solid. A cheaper PC than say an Airbook... and it works as my tablet!

Today, I want to share a bit more detail about the growing Surface family of products and Surface with Windows 8 Pro, specifically around pricing. In January, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in two versions and pricing will start at $899:

· 64GB standalone version at $899
· 128GB standalone version at $999

On the inside, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will come with Intel’s next generation Core i5 processor. This chip will give Surface with Windows 8 Pro a graphics boost for its 10.6” 16:9 ClearType display that runs at a 1920x1080 full HD resolution. Surface with Windows 8 Pro also includes a full-size USB 3.0 port. Its Mini DisplayPort can drive an external display up to 2560X1440 resolution.

Surface with Windows 8 Pro will run your current Windows 7 desktop applications – it’s a full PC AND a tablet.

And all this in a PC that will weigh less than two pounds and be less than 14 millimeters thick.

Both versions will both include a Surface pen with Palm Block technology and include the ability to use a Touch Cover or Type Cover (sold separately).

https://blogs.techne...Redirected=true
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

HackerNews discussion here: http://news.ycombina...item?id=4848998

I will be buying one for myself. I was going to buy myself a laptop for work anyways and it was either this or a Macbook Air. As it stands I think Surface has a better value for the money.

I'll still wait a cycle or two to see how it pans out though. I never buy first-batch hardware. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Been using windows 8 desktop and really enjoying it cant wait to get my hands on a windows 8 tablet.

One plus thing about developing for windows 8 surface is that you can develop for both desktops and tablets atthe same time so your target audience is much bigger.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

This isn't a tablet as more of a laptop alternative. The Macbook Air is about 5 hours battery life.. Surface Rt is 10hrs. so the Pro is on step with the Air.

Fair enough!

SurfaceVerified ‏@surface

@shahroom Hey Shahroom, #Surface pro will have approximately half the batter life of Surface RT.

https://twitter.com/...226595051483136
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

About darn time!

Surface Windows 8 Pro will be available in the U.S. and Canada starting on Feb. 9 through all Microsoft retail stores, microsoftstore.com and at Staples and Best Buy in the U.S. as well as from a number of locations in Canada.

Powered by an Intel Core i5 processor, Surface Windows 8 Pro provides the power and performance of a laptop in a tablet package and will run all Windows 8 applications as well as current Windows 7 desktop applications. Last month, we announced Surface Windows 8 Pro pricing starting at $899 and that it will be available in 64 GB and 128 GB models. A Surface Pen is included
cite

Limited Edition covers!

Starting in February, customers can click in three new Touch Cover Limited Editions. Priced at $129.99 in the US, Touch Cover Limited Edition features unique laser-etched designs in three distinctive colors: red, magenta and cyan.
cite

A new mouse!

Microsoft is releasing a special Surface Edition of the Wedge Touch Mouse. The Wedge Touch Mouse Surface Edition is specifically designed to complement the Surface experience in all its forms, providing four-way Touch scrolling and easy navigation at one’s fingertips. It also has a similar finish to Surface’s VaporMg casing,
cite

http://www.microsoft...dows-8-pro/home
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#119 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing the Surface Pro when it comes out. I mean, what's not to like. Full version of Windows, power of an ultrabook, form factor of a tablet, and a proper stylus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I never quite got the Pro version of this. It's basically just a small laptop, right? Why would you want a small laptop? I can kind of get wanting a tablet, for things like casual web browsing and... err... stuff like that. But why would you want to do real work on a device with such a small screen? Seems like bigger would be better for that kind of usage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »