Microsoft Surface

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

178 Replies - 10480 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Surface

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 20 June 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

View Postsupersloth, on 19 June 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

View PostSergio Tapia, on 19 June 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I'm buying the Pro. If I understand correctly that gives me a full on OS correct? Even so, I don't see myself using the tablet to actually do anything business on it except reading email and whatnot. Maybe the occasional mockup, if Balsamiq works well on it (regarding the touch controls).

it does, which is why it makes no sense you are still referring to it as a classic tablet when it's a computer with a keyboard and a touchpad and mouse buttons and a full version of windows 8 that runs office and photoshop and millions of other applications.

sure, it does the tablet stuff AS WELL, but this is a computer. why are you already limiting what you do with the device months before you can even purchase it? the game has changed. you aren't buying a tablet. you are buying the worlds most flexible ultrabook.

Because it has a small screen and keyboard. You aren't... you aren't actually planning on using this for dev work? I need at least 27'' for screen estate. I worked with a screen that big once before, I'll never go back.

if i get one i will use it for whatever capabilities i can squeeze out of it. there's no point in limiting what i can do in advance.

also, this thing has video out, again, flexibility is key to the device.

This post has been edited by supersloth: 20 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Just another crappy attempt by microsoft to break into a market they have little to no chance in.
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostGhlavac, on 20 June 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Just another crappy attempt by microsoft to break into a market they have little to no chance in.

Actually its quiet possibly a contender in the market. Specially the fact it runs a full operating system natively. Something Apple has yet to do. And still with the slim factor... This is definately on my to buy list.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostGhlavac, on 20 June 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

People said the same thing when the XBox was first announced... I'm just saying.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Except there's already two highly mature and already very well established platforms that can do just about anything a windows tablet can do, and just because it runs a 'full os' doesn't mean its going to be any better, my phone can run a 'full os' of any flavor of linux but it doesn't mean that I want to do that because it just slows it down.

And they're trying to rationalize that horrid Windows 8 joke. :P

Also from my understanding the golden chalice of tablet/pc integration (the enterprise management from the same point) is still something that won't be done with windows 8 tablets.. So..

This post has been edited by Ghlavac: 20 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Looks really interesting, might get it dependent on how much it costs.

Still, I have to feel sorry for this guy. Hopefully that won't happen a lot when it is released.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hahaha.. at best there might be one mature platform - I hardly count the insane variations of the android os - still in use - that litter the device highway.

"That guy" would be Steve Sinofsky.. the president of the Windows division in MS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

-is not showing the screen because oh god it just BSOD'd-

Also with ICS and newer devices androids become a whole lot more centralized.

This post has been edited by Ghlavac: 20 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#54 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Yes because these tablets run Windows XP...

1) just because 2 'mature' platforms exist doesn't mean there can't be more. I don't say "linux should give up, OSX and Windows are already mature platforms that can do everything it thinks it can do".

2) no, iOS can't do everything Windows 8 can do. It is intentionally restricted. Android allows a bit more space to roam, but still the interface of the system is fairly gimped down a bit with out excessive hacking.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Also with ICS and newer devices androids become a whole lot more centralized.

Really?

June 1, 2012

Attached Image
cite
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

That's a huge problem in Android. It's too fractured. Sure you can account for a "best baseline" measurement, but ultimately it's something extra a developer has to worry about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostGhlavac, on 20 June 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

...and just because it runs a 'full os' doesn't mean its going to be any better...

Yes, yes it does.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

everything becomes fractured, eventually. i don't understand why people expect the latest and greatest on their 2 year old phone. that's not how it works. sometimes you get left in the dust.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 19 June 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Wow... the video doesn't show you shit except: Hey look, we copied the iPad right down to the magnetic cover.

View PostSergio Tapia, on 19 June 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

My father owns an iPad 64GB and I love it, I can only assume that this will kicks it's ass.

Yep. And the MS Zune is going to kill the iPod too.

Like Apple... Hate Apple... It makes no difference... They are a technology force to be reconned with. They actually make innovative products that work. For christ sake they practically invented the mp3 market. They have this way of re-inventing markets and creating new ones where none existed.

Before the iPod you had... Sony disc man... Still required media. Just an upgraded Sony WalkMan cassette player. Then the iPod came out supported by a digital download store. A whole new niche took the retail market by storm.

There were phones that had some nice features before the iPhone - but the iPhone created the 'smart phone' revolution. Before that the best you could do was a Blackberry.

Apple comes out with the iPad and suddenly there is a whole new product category of "Tablet" - not that there weren't some other devices out there if you looked hard enough. But the public at large didn't know or care. 3rd party developers weren't making integrated hardware from speakers to keyboard to car integration kits for them.

Microsoft and others are hyena trying to get some cast off scraps of market share from the Lion that actually made the kill. Sure they might collectively take a few percent here and there... but they aren't walking away with the meal.

Microsoft has been trying to convince people for years that Media Center was their solution for all in one media collection and play back. But except for a few nerds like us, it doesn't really hit main stream. But AppleTV in far less time is doing a lot better. Not amazing I'll admit. But certainly better than Media Center every did. Rumor has it they are looking to bring out a fully integrated iTV device of some type. And when they do, you'll see numerous knock offs of that too.

Will there be a bunch of haters? Absolutely! Will it also re-write the paradigm of how we all get television shows and force the cable TV industry to come up to the modern era, in much the same way it shook up the music industry? Absolutely! You may not choose to buy an Apple device, but you sure benefit from their innovation most every day, just the same.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 21 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 5