• « First
  • Last »

178 Replies - 10113 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Surface

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I actually think these are way more innovative than iPads (of course iPads started the tablet craze, but when Apple launches a revolutionary new product it tends to stay the same with the exception of its processing power and graphics). Surface is cool because it solved that issue that tablets have: they suck for typing in general. Surface has a very thin and slick keyboard with a trackpad that doubles as a cover. And although I would prefer iOS on a phone and most other tablets, Windows 8 will be great on a Surface since it has a keyboard. I'm actually excited about this product, but unless these are under like $250, I think you're better off putting that money towards a small MacBook Air.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

But the AIR starts at $999... I'd understand that statement if you said something like 800 dollars or so... but really, if this cost $300, you would say, "screw that, I'll buy an Air for 700 dollars more".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yeah have to agree with LOD on this, Now an air also doesn't allow you to use a touch screen, its also a completely different operating system. But at the same time we don't know the specs of the devices yet (or do we?) I'm still waiting to hear the processor for the pro version, its probably the next generation of i core series but is it going to be dual core or quad? Whats the speed on that? how much ram is in this device? Those questions I've yet to find answers to and will no doubt see them answered down the road.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

I believe they said the Pro version will come with an Ivy Bridge i5.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#95 supersloth  Icon User is online

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

i think that's everyones conjecture right now, as far as i'm aware they haven't listed processor/speed/ram/etc right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

i think it's more fun to speculate about a product that, more or less, doesn't exist yet. don't you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Looks like the Surface RT will be released October 26, and the Pro version early next year. Anyone planning on buying the RT? Personally, I'm waiting for the Pro version.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#98 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

I am hoping to snag one from the .NET Rock Roadshow next week.. failing that I'll see how the surface-rt functions and price.. then make the choice between that and the pseduolaptop that is the pro. :)

If cheap enough I may get two surface-rts and tape them together to make a Courier.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

The pseudolaptop action is why I'm waiting. My old Dell took a dump on me last year, and I haven't ever gotten around to replacing it. At this point, if I can grab a tablet AND a laptop for around $1000, and have it live in the same relatively small shell, I feel like I win.

EDIT - You think they'll have the RT version available this early at the event?

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 19 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#100 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

That's my thought on the pro.. except I don't have a laptop.. and only have custody of a Nexus 7 on weekends.

Meh.. I don't see why they wouldn't. A few weeks out from release.. oddballs podcasters stinking up an RV as they drive across the country... you would figure they are sitting on a pile of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yeah, I guess it would make sense. Let people pick them up and then generate a bunch of hype leading up to the actual release...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#102 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

.. and so it begins!

http://arstechnica.c...oday-at-9am-pt/

The cheapest way to buy into Surface will be the $499 base model. This will give you 32GB storage, but won't come with a Touch Cover membrane keyboard-cum-cover. $599 will get you a 32GB model with a black Touch Cover, and $699 a 64GB unit, also with a black Touch Cover.

Standalone Touch Covers in black, white, magenta, cyan, and red will retail for $119.99. Type Covers—a clicky keyboard with actual key switches—will come in black only, and cost $129.99.

Surface preorders open today, at 9am Pacific, with delivery on October 26th, the same day as Windows 8's general availability.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Personally, I am actually quite annoyed with their pricing scheme. The spec sheet they released all that time ago said that all models would come with the touch and type cover for no extra cost (at least they didn't give us any fine print relating to the touch and type cover which was listed in the "Productive" category, though I suppose it may have fallen under the "Options" portion of their spec sheet (at which point they should have just put it in an "Options" category, after all I look at spec sheets to see what I am getting out of a device, not what I can purchase in addition).

At this point I have to wait and see how they feel before I can decide whether or not I will wait for the second or third generation of the surface tablet to release before purchasing a first-gen one. I don't see how a touch and type cover can be worth $100 extra, and I was personally hoping for the $200-$300 price point for the tablet with touch and type cover. Guess I held off asking for anything until 2 months after my birthday for nothing. Time to see if I can find a nice camera for around $600, that will be a better use of my money than saving $200 in purchasing a toy laptop (the surface).

Sadly Microsoft managed to turn my enthusiasm over the surface into meh, at this point it is just another over priced, under specced tablet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#104 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

You want all this:

The processor is an NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30, which is a quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex A9 part coupled with a 520MHz NVIDIA GPU, and it has 2 GB RAM, and either 32 or 64GB of flash storage. Surface also has two 720p cameras (front and rear), two microphones, an ambient light sensor, an accelerometer, a gyroscope, and a compass. Connectivity is provided with 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4, a microSDXC slot, mini-HDMI, and a USB 2.0 port.

For $200? Plus the fancy cover? You're asking for a bit much there. Yeah, it would have been awesome, but it was a completely unrealistic hope.

Personally, I wish they were each about $100 cheaper, so they beat the iPad, and even the previous iPad. I probably won't be buying this, just because I'm going to be waiting for the Pro version. I have too many things I need (read: want) to spend my money on this year; I'd like to get the Nokia Lumia 920 when it drops, and I'm also saving for a new rifle. So as much as I'd like to have this, my toy budget is pretty tapped out.

Still a slick looking device, and if I didn't already have an iPad and a Nexus 7 I'd jump on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#105 supersloth  Icon User is online

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

it looks awesome but i think i'm more willing to spend my extra cash on a nexus 7 at the moment. maybe one day. i hope enough people buy them that it becomes a successful option and only gets cheaper.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »