7 Replies - 2844 Views - Last Post: 22 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Publish an ASP.NET 3-Tier web application: Help!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Can somebody point me to the right direction on how to publish my 3-tier web application to my host. I am currently hosting my website with godaddy.

When I try to publish my website to the ftp server from visual studio 2010, only the web application (presentation layer) is published. The other class library projects (business layer and data layer) are not uploaded on the server. Do I have to create the directories and upload the files manually from and onto godaddy's ftp server.

More over I have no idea yet on how to publish my MSSQL database which the data layer connects to. Can someone also provide help about how I should put my database onto the hosting server?

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry if I may be asking stupid questions but I still very new when it comes to hosting!

This post has been edited by xikky: 20 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Publish an ASP.NET 3-Tier web application: Help!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Publish an ASP.NET 3-Tier web application: Help!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Publish to a local directory first.. make sure you have all your aspx files, a bin folder, and what not. Any javascript files will copy over.. and a webconfig should be there. Then FTP that folder to your site.

Does your host use IIS? That is to say your plan is for windows hosting and not something like linux/apache, right?

More over I have no idea yet on how to publish my MSSQL database which the data layer connects to.

Does your godaddy account come with a database? The last time I checked godaddy was mysql not MSSQL. You'll need to tweak your database objects to deal appropriately, and then create your table structure in the mysql admin tool through your hosting cpanel..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

Thank you for your reply! I'm working on it. I am thinking to FTP the folder with all the contents using FileZilla.

And yes the hosting is for windows and uses IIS. It also provides 2 databases in MSSQL included in the host. But I really have no idea where to start to publish the database. I'll be working on this later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

One more thing .. on publishing the presentation layer (web application) locally, all files are placed inside a folder.

Now how do I go about to copy the library class projects? Am I right if I copy the whole folder for each library class inside the folder created when publishing the presentation layer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

And yes the hosting is for windows and uses IIS. It also provides 2 databases in MSSQL included in the host.

Which plan was that?

But I really have no idea where to start to publish the database. I'll be working on this later.

You should be able to get to a management tool from your admin cpanel with your hosting. Set up a database (as you would onl your local machine). In your local version you can generate scripts or the create table from the right click menue (on the table)... copy that and apply it to your hosting's sql execution window.. oh.. and don't forget to setup a user name and account for the site to use.

Now how do I go about to copy the library class projects? Am I right if I copy the whole folder for each library class inside the folder created when publishing the presentation layer

All of this should be in your site's published bin folder.

http://msdn.microsof...v=vs.90%29.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

I guess any windows plan has IIS. Mine is windows deluxe plan. It is not listed in the detailed list of the hosting plan but it is stated in the hosting control panel that IIS 7.0 is installed.

Thank you! I will continue my work on this on my spare time thanks to your help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

I meant the MSSQL and not MYSQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

Yes, from my control panel I can see that I can set up 2 MSSQL and 25 MySQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1