7 Replies - 872 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

beta test group

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

I tried to do this strictly with friends and family members, but sadly the turnout was lackluster. I am looking for people willing to beta test for me. I am not looking for IT professionals, per say. Primarily looking for a few people that will give honesty feedback on a few programs. These are not intended for actual publication at this point. I am still a beginning programmer and the projects are mostly just for me.

Anyone interested?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: beta test group

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: beta test group

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

What are these programs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hmm...I'm certainly interested in this. Could you post the programs and execution instructions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

I would be willing to help out as well, I would just like to know what kinds of programs we are talking about first!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

The intention of the post was to collect a series of people to use for a variety of different programs. I'll describe the ones I'm working on a bit later in this post. I want to expand my social network to include programmers, people that are either in the industry or at least familiar with it enough to carry a conversation, people that I can ask an opinion on and when needed get feedback for things. I tried to create my own group of beta testers and despite sending things out to 15+ people I've received feedback from 3, and quality feedback from one. Was quite depressing.

I am a beginning developer, still in school, so the projects will vary considerably. At present I've been working on a character generation program that creates information about a random character. everything from name to historic information about the person. The purpose is to create a character profile at random. The use of the program is mostly personal and I do not really intend for it (in the current functionality) to be released in any significant fashion. One of the projects that I will have in the coming months(years) with school is a complete game and was thinking that perhaps I can use the character generation program as a basis for the character creation needed for this yet unfleshed out game.

I'm also working on an assignment/school inventory type program that is to have the user enter in the begin/end dates of a class, enter in information concerning when an assignment is due and ultimately what grade is achieved. I want it to have the ability for a user to select a particular day and have the classes and assignments for the respective classes selectable for further review.

I have ideas an intentions for an alphabet type game (very basic in nature) for my nephew. Haven't done much in way of fleshing out the ideas for it yet.

I want to create an grocery/menu/recipe type program that will require users to catalog their foodstuff (including spices) and contain a running tally of the items as they are purchased. The intention is then to allow the user to create and plan out a menu for meals. When a meal is selected within the program it will identify the items needed to make it and remove them from the inventory. The program will show the user the complete recipe instructions and if all the components to the meal are currently available. Future expansions could include things such as tracking the types of items frequently purchased/made and nutritional information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

In case language(s) are of any consideration, up to this point I have limited exposure in C++, VB.Net and Java. The more recent projects (ones listed above) are with VB.Net in mind. School will have me focusing mainly on C++ so there'll be a bit of a switch in things on that level.

I do not have any direct exposure to actual database design or have any immediate plans to change that. Any of the projects mentioned at present will be done without use of databases where possible. This is subject to change. I know eventually I'll have no choice, but for now I'm avoiding them when i can.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

I would be willing to test for you. You also mentioned what code you may use, by saying that are you what us to test the code as well as the GUI?

PS for any mods reading, this could be an idea for a new section where TRUSTED members could post their programs an have other members test them. however i would have concerns about viruses and so on so not sure this could work.

This post has been edited by m_wylie85: 28 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

Thank you for bringing that to mind, m_wylie...I guess I hadn't pondered that. At the onset I would say no. Reviewing the code wouldn't really be needed. Right now I'm more concerned about making sure things work and testing the programs operational capabilities than the effectiveness of the code. If the group and programs develop to such a point where revision of code is needed or desired then we can look at the specifics at that point.

Perhaps for this potential new section have something built in where a minimum post count must be met to gain admittance, or one needs to obtain an invite in to the private group (on the assumption invites are given by trusted/respected members of the community and given to those who they trust).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1