4 Replies - 970 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science Degree Part Time

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I'm 37 years old, and I have an AAS Information Systems and an AA degree. I've been employed for the last 9 years at a Community College working as their IT Coordinator (glorified title for help desk technician). I'm ready to move into another part of IT and I now want to try and focus on programming. I'm looking at a CS degree, but I still have a lot of math to complete. I have to take Calc I, II, III, Trig and Discrete Mathematics, not to include a class on algorithms. I will take one class a semester with the math since I want to make sure to grasp each class and understand the content. The great part is, since I work for a Community College, they will pay for one class a semester so I won't have a huge student loan when I finish. The concerning part is my age, because I probably won't finish the BSCS until I’m 41. Is this a crazy idea? I'm really interested in designing apps for mobile devices, but I'm open to finding a niche within programming I might not have thought of. A part of me says to just teach myself, I've already started using MIT and Stanford's lectures on programming on iTunes but the CS Degree will open a lot of doors. Sorry to ramble, just need some guidance.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 21 June 2012 - 09:01 AM
Reason for edit:: Code tags are for code, not your question

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science Degree Part Time

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science Degree Part Time

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Moved to Student Campus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Age is a sunk cost. You can't get it back, so it's not a relevant part of your calculations. If this is where you're going, get on it and do that thing.
Hell, you're going to die in any case, so you might as well act like you're going to live forever. The other option is to lie down now and wait for someone to come along and bury you.

The only guidance I can offer you is, don't use code tags when you mean quote tags.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

The degree is nice but hardly mandatory. Its not like you are limited to learning only at school. Why are you talking like its either/or... one or the other? Take the free courses and learn on your own. You will have more info, more skill than your classmates and graduate at the top of your class.

I say here time and time again that you can learn on your own in one year what a university will teach you in 6 - If you actually work at it.

So take the classes for the paper. Learn on your own. And build apps on your own. There are plenty of contracts on vWorker and other contract sites: Use them for practice and to get your resume started.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

I would have to agree with tlhin`toq here as i study computer science and i have learnt more from DIC members, actually developing apps that i was interested in and at the moment work placement than uni will ever teach me in the entire course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1