3 Replies - 1060 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

The search for hosting; support for RoR!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

So, what's happening is, I'm developing a browser game in ROR.
I do plan on hosting the full game when it's done, but I don't expect tons and tons of traffic (So I doubt I'll need a VPS).
But in the mean time of devlopement, I want to put up a site with a forum to keep people updated on development and changes.

I've found a few hosts that support RoR, like Site5, but the problem is:

1) I don't know which package is good for a site/forum. The lowest one, for like 5 bucks a month? I know I can always upgrade if traffic increases, right?

2) The sites I've been looking at are kind of... not very good at giving information. One didn't even have info -about- their packages.

3) Obviously, I still need to find an appropriate host to pick a package from in the first place.

I went to site5 and used their live chat support to ask them what they would recommend.. and all they said was "in order to answer your question, we'll have to monitor it."

I said, thats fine, and the guy just stopped the chat session! :( So I'm thinking Site5 is a no go.

Anyone have any advice for me?
It'd be a great help.

Oh, and just to clarify, I already have a domain name!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The search for hosting; support for RoR!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The search for hosting; support for RoR!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

1) I don't know which package is good for a site/forum. The lowest one, for like 5 bucks a month? I know I can always upgrade if traffic increases, right?

From lookign at their plans - they all include unlimited disk space and bandwidth.
http://www.site5.com/hosting/web/

2) The sites I've been looking at are kind of... not very good at giving information. One didn't even have info -about- their packages.

Their site says:

Rails 3 Support
Phusion Passenger or FastCGI
Tons Of Pre-Installed Gems
Switchtower, Capistrano, and EdgeRails Ready
SVN and Git On All Servers

http://www.site5.com/p/ruby/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Oh, I know site5 gives info about their packages. I'm talking about other smaller hosts that i just brushed off.

And doesn't "unlimited" really mean something to do with inodes?
As mentioned here:
http://www.webhostin...secrets-inodes/

As far as a package, if i went with site5, I still don't know which makes more sense to buy.
I'm guessing the cheapest package would be fine for a low traffic forum/site.

But when I implement my browser game, which will need to access the database a lot, which package would be appropriate to upgrade to? It'll be higher traffic than the site but it won't be HUGE or anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

And doesn't "unlimited" really mean something to do with inodes?
As mentioned here:
http://www.webhostin...secrets-inodes/

I have no idea what that means, but when they say unlimited space that means you do not have a cap on how many files you can have.. as with the bandwidth that means you have no limit on how much data you shuffle to your vistors. That means you don't have to worry about the scaling bit.

But when I implement my browser game, which will need to access the database a lot, which package would be appropriate to upgrade to? It'll be higher traffic than the site but it won't be HUGE or anything.

Reread this bit from site5:

Site5 provides you with unlimited disk space for your website hosting needs. The way we can give you generous amounts of disk space is easily explained. The average cost of hard drives, keep getting lower and lower. So, in turn, we want to pass these saving along to you. This way we are sure you have enough storage space for your website files.

Bandwidth is the amount of data that you are able to transfer between your website account and the visitors of your website. Site5's unlimited bandwidth offering allows you to never worry about exceeding your bandwidth limitations!

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1