11 Replies - 394 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

SDET or SDE

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Ok I need some input. I got hired as SDET and 3 years later I got promoted to be SDE. However it has been one year and I'am not fully 100% SDE role yet because our company has been hiring freeze so there will be no new hire soon to replace my testing role. I have been looking for new job but I am little short of experience to be SDE but I have plenty of opportunities for SDET position. So sshould I stay still working two roles or find new SDET position out there. I look for SDE but my experience is little too narrow so my qualifications often come short.

any thought?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SDET or SDE

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SDET or SDE

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

Would you care to elaborate your corporations acronyms so we are on the same page? (SDET & SDE)

Even with out that let's break it down.

You are at a company doing job X.
Then they give you part of job Y to do with part of job X.
You are getting experience with job Y, right?
You are looking at getting into job Y over X.
You do not think other companies will hire you for Y because you don't have much experience.
You are thinking about starting over in a new company at job X, and some how that will get you experience in Y.

Does that sound about right?

If that's the case where you want to be in job Y... and you are getting some experience in job Y.. and there are no other major qualms with the company by all means DO NOT jump ship to start out with a new company doing solely job X.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

SDET = Software Development Engineer in Test
SDE = Software Developer Engineer.

Yep that sounds correct if X = SDET and Y = SDE.

I haven't really thought what is my next goal after I become a full-time SDE; maybe I will be just be in position(senior,lead,principal engineer) until retire.

so you said it's not good idea to jump ship to start over again. Honestly I more lean that way too because I don't want to start over again. I want to keep moving forward, but the company is moving so slow to find the replacement, but then I don't blame them because we haven't been doing good so all engineer hiring has been suspended for all engineer departments.

thanks for your input, very appreciate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

So just to recap, is that a yes you want to be a "Software Developer Engineer" more so than a "Software Development Engineer in Test", right? A year of experience doing the SDE bit should be enough to get you an entry level programming job elsewhere.. if not then how about ratcheting up what you can do to pick up more experience? Job on board for helping out with new projects and what not.

It seems that if your problem about being a programmer elsewhere is you don't have enough experience yet then cutting off that source of experience and "putting in your dues" time is not a good choice.. right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

yes, I prefer to be Software Development Engineer because it opens more new challenges for me. Being a Software Development Engineer in Test, I do the same thing almost all tasks and I don't feel satisfy afterward.

yep, you are right responding to your last paragraph.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

There is also another thing I often ignore when searching for job and see entry level programmer position. Because I automatically assume that employers prefer recent grads for those type of positions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well it never hurts to apply, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostturtleC++, on 21 June 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

yes, I prefer to be Software Development Engineer because it opens more new challenges for me. Being a Software Development Engineer in Test, I do the same thing almost all tasks and I don't feel satisfy afterward.

As a rule, if a company lets their test engineers be bored, you can expect their developers to be bored as well. If you're testing the same stuff over and over, you can bet that someone's writing the same stuff over and over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Not to mention that's why the good Lord provided us with 'automated testing tools'. Man did I dive into those when I found out they were being neglected back as a tester. Cut down my actual work-work from three or four days of testing to just an afternoon of prep work and then execution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 June 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostturtleC++, on 21 June 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

As a rule, if a company lets their test engineers be bored, you can expect their developers to be bored as well. If you're testing the same stuff over and over, you can bet that someone's writing the same stuff over and over.

That is so true. So as for my role SDE, I have responsibility to maintain one product and I always provide customer support too when the developer support can't help customers. This role all I do is just expanding to support new platform. I only tackle new task when senior engineers need me to work their small size independent projects and often that are a lot of new things for me to learn and I like that.

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 June 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Not to mention that's why the good Lord provided us with 'automated testing tools'. Man did I dive into those when I found out they were being neglected back as a tester. Cut down my actual work-work from three or four days of testing to just an afternoon of prep work and then execution.

Fortunately for me I don't have to use any existing test automation tool because most tools out there don't fit my test criteria for my team so I created my own test framework just to test my team products.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Fortunately for me I don't have to use any existing test automation tool because most tools out there don't fit my test criteria for my team so I created my own test framework just to test my team products.

Someone's not thinking too hard out of the box! Why find tool to fit your needs - beat your needs into fitting your tools! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 June 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Someone's not thinking too hard out of the box! Why find tool to fit your needs - beat your needs into fitting your tools! :D

LOL you're probably right, but also I think my team is just too picky.

Well, thank you everyone for the responds, very appreciate.

This post has been edited by turtleC++: 21 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1