1 Replies - 1256 Views - Last Post: 24 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

NVIDIA drivers with Ubuntu 12.04

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on its own partition on my hard-drive.

On first boot, I found that I am apparently limited to Unity 2D and the drivers for my NVIDIA GT 520M don't seem to be working.

I installed the recommended driver from NVIDIA, stopped lightdm, installed the driver, restarted lightdm, and ran nvidia-xconfig - despite a seemingly error free installation, rebooting showed the same problem (except that my screen got locked at 640x480, and I had to sort that out).

I've tried installing something called Bumblebee, with similar results - namely, none.

I've tried some other commands I found in discussion forums, but nothing seems to work.

I have an NVIDIA GT 520M (with, I believe, Intel graphics as well) and the laptop does have Optimus, which I understand complicates things.
Going to System Settings >> Additional Drivers shows only my wireless driver.
Going to System Settings >> Details >> Graphics shows "Driver: Unknown, Experience: Standard".
Trying to open NVIDIA X Server Settings from the dash says I don't appear to be using an NVIDIA driver.
The BIOS lists two options for graphics: "Switchable" and "Integrated".

Please help me figure out how to get my graphics up to par and start enjoying Unity 3D, among other things?
I am a complete noob with Ubuntu and Linux in general, so if it isn't explicitly stated here, assume I didn't do it.
If you need any more info, I'll do my best.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NVIDIA drivers with Ubuntu 12.04

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: NVIDIA drivers with Ubuntu 12.04

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Never mind. I got this working.

I backed up my files, did a clean re-install of Ubuntu, installed all the updates, then ran apt-get purge nvidia-settings nvidia-current from the terminal.

I didn't get the NVIDIA drivers working, but the system is apparently using open source drivers, and I'm not having any more problems with graphics.

Thanks anyways. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1