1 Replies - 604 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2012 - 05:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Python + database

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

I want to start learning how to work with databases in Python. Question is: should i start slowly by learning MySQL module with Python or should i jump straight into ORMs (I read on google that SQLAlchemy is the best).

I can learn both and if you think i should, what should i start with: ORM or simple mysql. (SQL expierience - yes, ORM experience - no)

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Python + database

• coderさん
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python + database

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

Hi.
I would recommend learning MySQL. It is very useful, very flexible and it is also very useful if you go into web development later and there is a python module for it so the hard work of connecting and making queries is done, all you have to do is write the query! If you haven't already, I would also recommend taking a look at the sqlite3 module for python, this is a good database system, while it can't do some of the things MySQL can do, I find that it is all I need for most of my programs. The sqlite3 and MySQL syntax are very similar as well, so it wouldn't be too difficult to learn both. But in the end, all of the databases have their pros and cons, so it depends what you want to use it for and which features you need.
Good Luck.

This post has been edited by Eric115: 23 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1