12 Replies - 1917 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2012 - 05:40 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Open source action/realtime multiplayer game?

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hey there, does anyone know if there are any open source action/realtime games out there which feature multiplayer or are based on multiplayer?
I've been trying to get information on that particular matter for more than a week, but all I can get are very wishywashy general descriptions of how client/server models work, what TCP/UDP is, all that basic stuff which doesn't cover the actual problems.
And there sure as hell aren't any tutorials for that kind of network architecture. (I'd love to be proven wrong here. Also I'd like to make a few myself as soon as I get the hang of it)

Anyway, It would be great if I could study some actual code, I don't even care what the language is anymore, If I can't read it I will just have to make the effort of learning it to be able to understand the networking logic.
Btw, I think this doesn't really matter that much, but I'm aiming for a 2D game here.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Open source action/realtime multiplayer game?

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Open source action/realtime multiplayer game?

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I hate to say it, but do a internet search!!!! I find it hard to believe you couldn't find a single site that has source for a game. Took me less than a minute to type in a search phrase and Wiki was the first link. It contained a list of open source action games and engines from 87 - 2012!

I could do the same for multi-player.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well I'm not looking for source for just any game.
It has to be realtime action and feature multiplayer.
I know which site you mean because I've been there, I havn't stopped searching either.
But you really expect me to browse through every single game, on every single google search result and looking up what mechanics all those games offer, without at the same time just asking on a forum, if anyone maybe already knows about such a game? Maybe one, which has helped that person accomplishing insight about network mechanics?
Because I sure know, I'm not the first person on this planet looking for information on that topic.

But no, instead, people get offended if not everyone wastes hours and hours of their life, browsing through endless pages of irrelevant information (which I already have over the past week).

So please tell me more about how wrong it is to ask around if someone already has some helpful source in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

Look.. don't get your boxers all in a twist. You are trying to crowd source your search.. okay that's not bad, but clearly you have something super specific in mind else you wouldn't have just dismissed bits and pieces of informational superhighway results and aggregated them into something you can use. If, perhaps, you were more clear on why you were looking for - example of games that might clearly limit the genre you mentioned, and what not.

Am I guessing you are looking to take an existing game and bolt in your product to it?

So yes.. while you expect people to approach this a certain way and not give off a perception of offense it's also your burden to not get offended when people push back from doing your research! It's a quid-pro-quo sort of thing. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't play Minecraft personally, but a lot of people write code for it. I'm not sure if it's open source or just has an API for others to use. It's a 3D game, so that's a good place to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 June 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Am I guessing you are looking to take an existing game and bolt in your product to it?

So yes.. while you expect people to approach this a certain way and not give off a perception of offense it's also your burden to not get offended when people push back from doing your research! It's a quid-pro-quo sort of thing. ;)

Well yes, guess I really went a bit overboard there, my apologies.
Also I didn't mention what I already did for research on that matter in the starting post, which is some kind of requirement here after all. I can even read it in the background of the textfield right now, so yes I messed that one up :D

I don't really understand 100% what you mean by "bolt in my product".
So to be clear, I was looking for a networking game which is action based because I wanted to study how the networking part works. I'm already at tons of material for the theory of what kind of methods need to be implemented so it all works out smoothly, like client-side prediction and extrapolating and much more. Well that's fine to know, but thats all just pretty words at my current level of programming and networking knowledge.
I think I would have few problems getting a very basic lockstep multiplayer running with what I currently know (It would still take much time because lack of experience, but I have an idea of how to appoach it), but that's now what I'm aiming for. So in order to get an idea of how the simultaneous and constant sending/receiving of data on both client and server can be managed, I "desire" some examples where I can study the code, actually see how it works by running it, and reconstruct how it all fits together.
So my goal is not claiming any code for myself for getting my product done fast, it is for me to learn about how it can be done, so I'm acutally able to create my own clients/servers from scratch.
The product itself (which is largely not defined for now) itself is just for me to learn after all.

And as I said, I hadn't stopped searching on my own either, and came across a few open source games which could be helpful to look at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzom
http://www.redeclipse.net/
Currently I'm trying to get a look at the source of these two.
I guess there's not as much "action" in the mmorpg one as in the FPS, but it could still serve the purpose.
But one thing I noticed, I should probably start learning some C++, I'm afraid :D
Avoided that one until now, but If I want to study other code for the sake of learning, it seems to be unavoidable ;)

About the minecraft thing, I didn't think about that until yet, I have to check that. I kinda doubt it's open source but if it is, that'd be mucho greato, althugh I'm aiming for 2D, but that doesn't matter since only the networking part concerns me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Guys I'm sorry for the double, but I SO fail to find the edit button, is there any?
Well this is a rather important edit I have to make, I wanted to say "but that's not what I'm aiming for".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

There will be an edit button once you get some posts under your belt.

I'm not sure if Subspace - Continuum is officially open source (I think it used to be several years ago), but you might be able to ask the dev group since it initially started as a fan rewrite of the client.

It looks like they are working on SubSpace2 on SourceForge
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

Ah that clears things up a bit.
Though I think it's funny to have a basic function like the edit button as a reward for a certain amount of posts.
Thanks for your input!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Don't think of it as a reward so much as a feature that is provided to established members. Lest we start having a bunch of bots that are programmed to post something relevant to the board and then later it gets turned into an add for hot Russian singles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Also make a habit of searching Github, Assembla and other public repositories for ideas. There is normally a lot going on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostButchDean, on 11 July 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

Also make a habit of searching Github, Assembla and other public repositories for ideas. There is normally a lot going on.

Good advice, I only knew of Github, but I haven't fallen into the habit of regularly using it for getting some input, except google somehow manages to direct me there ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

I just think that Google doesn't index public repositories. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1