6 Replies - 4600 Views - Last Post: 24 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where can I find professional c++ programming videos?

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:13 AM

I'm almost finished reading my c++ book, and i would like to get a hold of some videos so i can go over everything again to get a better grasp and understanding. I know there are YouTube videos and stuff like that but are there any actual professionally done videos kind of like CBT Nuggets (for those of you know know what those are). I don't care if they are free or cost. Just looking.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where can I find professional c++ programming videos?

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where can I find professional c++ programming videos?

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Professionally done videos? I am sure you could pay for some if you wanted to.

Since I don't really know what you are looking for I guess I can make the same reconmendations that I have in the C++ Articles And News forum.

Microsoft' Channel 9 has some excellent C++ videos especially those featuring STL, Microsoft's STL spokesmen. The "Going Native" is generally C++ related. Going Native also hosted a conference "GoingNative 2012" that talks a great deal about C++11 and the future of C++.

there WAS an excellent series of videos onAdvanced C++ from a class given at the The University of Chicago. Unfortunately when the new year started the old notes and videos were removed... major bummer! Hopefully at least the course notes will make it back up there this academic year.

I have watched a lot of good videos from Google Talks.

There are of course the BoostCon presentations (if you use boost which I actually have come to believe is kind of a must). -- Unfortunately you have to Google about a bit for these as they never seem to be in the same place twice. Try Blip for some, maybe all of them?

I am pretty sure that Standford has some video lectures -- Course 106 seems to be something C++ related.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

I just don't get the fascination people have with learning programming through VIDEOS. Programming is something you learn through READING and DOING, and reading text on a video is suboptimal at best. The only thing I can see being worthwhile with programming and videos is perhaps learning an IDE or debugger.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

agreed, video is a horrible medium for learning to program. I think it comes from all the neat things you can learn to do on you tube just by watching someone; programing is largely more abstract than how physical do something.

It does however allow some more complex, non-syntactical, issues to be discussed such as style and more general ideas. it's not necessarily any better than you can with plain text but it still works and has an added entertainment value.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 24 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

I never said I don't READ and PRACTICE. I simply am asking if there are any available. I want to try videos because I learn alot better and stay alot more focused when someone is speaking. Maybe you missed my first sentence where I said im almost done with my book... but thanks for your 2 cents on video criticism it really helped a great deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I think there is something to videos. And this is from a guy who taught himself programming from a public library in the early 1990's reading books from the 70's and 80's.

For one thing, you learn how to pronounce all of those things that you have been mispronouncing in your head. Helps. Secondly listening is different for me than reading. I am much more critical of what I hear than what I read in a book. So I am more likely to really question some practice when I hear someone say, "this is how you should do it" in a video then when I read it. Lets face it I just plain think faster and better with audio arguments than reading -- thus when I really don't want to sound like the idiot I often do on Dream.In.Code I read aloud what I write.

Plus, lets face it, in the last 10 years or so that has been a real lack in C/C++/Assembly books. Mostly because there was little that was really *new* and exciting to talk about. So I find that the Google Talks, and the Channel 9, and the advances course wares tend to cover things that just are not really touch on in most of the books.

Heck I have scoured course notes from many C++ courses when I discovered that those were often the most current sources of information. Better than blogs and magazine articles! I would love to be able to actually listen to some of the courses I have pilfered the notes form!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thank you for summing up what i was trying to say Nick, ill look into what you've recommended. I appreciate it sir, thanks for your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1