2 Replies - 2768 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ towards combinatorial optimisation heuristics, and books

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

I am starting my PhD thesis in the greater area of combinatorial optimisation heuristics. I think that the time is right I started getting serious with studying a programming language. Reading through forums and talking with experts on the field, I have come to believe that C++ is the best language for this sort of programming. This brings me to my first question: Do you agree with this assessment, is C++ a good language for heuristics and such?

I have read through numerous posts in the forum in regard with books for C++ beginners, and I have found a couple of titles I believe would be ideal for my case (heads up to Bench for his feedback on the books thread): Accelerated C++ and Lipmann's C++ Primer. I do not want to half learn shit, and I do not want to learn things twice, once for the easy way and once for the "correct" way. I'd rather jump to the later. This brings me to my second question: Given the character of the programming I am interested in (combinatorial optimisation heuristics), is it safe to assume that I will not come to need the whole arsenal of C++ coding skills, but rather a small niche which I could access more efficiently through a more focused book? If yes, would you be kind enough to suggest one?

Thank you in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ towards combinatorial optimisation heuristics, and books

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ towards combinatorial optimisation heuristics, and books

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

I would assume any language would be just fine. I can't say I known anything about combinatorial optimization heuristics other than it's about using heuristics to find an optimal solution; I know nothing of the algorithms involved. It may be that lazy evaluation provides a better solution; I wouldn't know. If experts in your field told you C++ was a good pick I would probably pick that.

is it safe to assume that I will not come to need the whole arsenal of C++ coding skills, but rather a small niche which I could access more efficiently through a more focused book?

I can tell you this is probably not going to work; so no, it's not safe to assume that. C++ is meant to be used as a whole; that's how manageable software is produced. you don't have to know everything about it or all the advanced template rules but you need to make an effort to learn the a good coverage of its features in order to avoid spaghetti code.

as for books:
"Programing: principles and techniques using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup is a good book.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 26 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C++ towards combinatorial optimisation heuristics, and books

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thank you for your response. I will go for the books that I picked from the lists found elsewhere in the forums and start from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1