1 Replies - 1038 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What sort of things can I put on my portfolio?

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

By the end of the summer I want to fix up my website, upload all of my work there, and make a resume.

One of my professors said I should save every program that I was proud of.

So far I have a few applets, a 1500 line 2D shooting game in Javascript, a tiny tutorial on basic Javascript animation, and my solutions to 50 Project Euler questions in C++.

I'm thinking of rewriting all of those solutions in Java, Python, and as much as I can in x86.

Since I'm also a physics major I also plan on making some physics based animations using this textbook: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/159059472X

I also have many other textbooks that I bought for cheap. One of which is a software engineering one.

But besides that, I have no "real world" experience. So is there anything else you suggest I do? What kind of things do employers like to see? I've been looking at internship positions and many of them ask for a link to our work.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 26 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What sort of things can I put on my portfolio?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What sort of things can I put on my portfolio?

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Volunteer to make programs for people. One thing I found useful was find a department at the university that could use a new program to help them do their work. You do it pro bono and if it turns out well, ask for a recommendation on top of it.

The end result is that you have another program that is being used by real people and a recommendation saying how you were great to work with.

The project Euler questions are going to serve you well since those will not only show syntax but also how you organize and think through code.

But yes, getting real world experience is key. I suggest you volunteer your time to build programs for businesses... even if they are non tech. Does your uncle's wood chipping company need a computer program to keep track of bags of chips? If you make an inventory tracking program that is generic enough to apply to any other product, as well as bags of chips, then you show real world application.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1