13 Replies - 655 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Has anyone else told PC shops to shove it?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

In the 1990's I bought my computers from retail stores. Every time I bought one I was ripped off, messed around, driven up the wall or all three. Once I bought a "new" computer to find that it had a shop demo program at the start that looped endlessly. I had to return the PC to get the shop to delete it. Another time the computer had no memory because it was full of factory-test data. And on it went.

So in about 2000 I was fed up the back teeth. I knew a reliable computer repair guy who ran his own business. He offered to build me a computer. I said yes. I was so happy that I have got him to build all my desktops ever since.

The shops have lost me. They can go to hell as far I am concerned. They can rip off someone else.

Has anyone else told the shops to shove it? And were you happy?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Has anyone else told PC shops to shove it?

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Has anyone else told PC shops to shove it?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

I'm sure not all computer shops are like that. Why not research around for a bit, ask people or the net what shops they can recommend, and the best thing would be bring a knowledgeable friend while window shopping for a piece of hardware. After all, this is not a minor buy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

First and only computer I ever bought I built myself because it is exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately I can not find what is wrong with it and neither can the local shop.

So yes I am happy with my decision. I have told stores to go shove it because generally I prefer to directly support the makers of the product or independent stores.

Generally I find the bigger the store the more interested they are in making money and the less interested they are in offering a service.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I work at a computer repair and sales shop in Canada. Not everywhere is like that and also was it a custom build or brand named? There are places like us who work with you to get what you want out of a system (desktop) and the only thing that would be installed (unless asked for others) is the OS, Antivirus and drivers (updates for windows as well) so. Really depends where you go, big name stores like futureshop/bestbuy/walmart etc are brand named systems and are loaded full of BS promotional programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

I also worked at a computer store, medium sized, and not all shops are the same. We actively removed trial software from new systems to make the customer's PC better/faster. We did install a few things so the client wouldn't have to, like Adobe Reader/Flash Player. I'm with blindstone, I'd never buy PC, other than a laptop, from a big name store and then only specific stores, never walmart that is for sure. I'd seriously consider buying a new PC from the store I worked at, if it offered what I'm looking for. Fortunately I have the skills to build my own and get exactly what I want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

@blindstone: Where do you work?

I built my own computer and I do not regret doing that like I said the only thing I could wish for is a better warranty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I run my own computer shop, however it's small & sales are almost non-existent. The majority of our income is service work.

At any rate, when I do new sales or pc builds, I don't even have access to bloatware. They customer gets whatever they pay for. The OS, optional antivirus, optional open office. That's it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

View Postshammancer, on 03 July 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

@blindstone: Where do you work?

Privately owned shop in Ontario Called Benchmark Computers Inc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Sounds cool. I hope you enjoy working there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

I used to build PC's for people from the computer shows, Good Times!
I once built three computers in one trip.

I've only bought one computer from a big box store and it ran good for some 10years.

The local shop by my parents house has always been great. They are a small shop and are very helpful.

There was one guy at the computer show that had a whole bunch of junk just piled up on the tables. So we were looking through the piles, I found some old laptop drives that were all beat up. I figured I can tear them apart just to see what they look like. They guy wanted way to much for the junk drives, so I put them back. As I was putting them back he told me to make sure I put everything back in order. I thought "order, this place is a mess!". Then he proceeded to tell my friend that we need to come back after the show and pick up all his stuff. This guy sounded crazy, so we just said yes and never went back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

from my personal experience, the bad shops are the ones that directly offer commission and/or that hire salespeople that have little/no experience with computers in general. unfortunately, this is the vast majority of stores in the greater vancouver area. fortunately, i'm good enough with harrdware to look out for myself.

never, EVER go into a computer store without a knowledgeable buddy that isn't a fanboy. don't expect things to end well.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well having someone build you a computer can be good if you're "geeky" and care about your computer "like myself" but if you're just going to use your computer to browse the Internet, go on Facebook, Twitter, etc, and play flash games then you should just look around Best Buy and see what computer fits you best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

I've been down both roads. At work, we've used small local shops to custom build desktops and/or ordered the Costco specials. I do like the custom option better - you don't get stuck with all the silly pre-loaded stuff and you don't have to spend money on things that are unnecessary in an office computer, like slots for photo cards or wicked graphics and sound (I work in a law office - we don't play games).

Personally, I've purchased my own laptops online - first try was a Dell for my college-bound kid. That ended badly after a couple hard drive failures which, while covered under warranty, cost me several nights of program re-installation.

After that, a friend recommended a Northern California outfit (Excalibur PC) and my next couple Asus laptops came from there... we're 3-4 years into those and they worked out great. They had a great selection and decent prices. I was able to take some time to read reviews and decide just what features I wanted, which is hard to do while standing in a store. My current baby - an Asus U36S - came from Walmart online, and the price just couldn't be beat. Of course, once I got it home, it took me some time to get it the way I like... I dual-boot Windows 7 Prof and Ubuntu, but it's all good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

I run a small computer business. I do pretty well when people realize that they can get the same computer they are looking at in BestBuy for $200 or $300 less by having it custom built.

And no preload/preinstall/drop in box software. I always put a readme file on the desktop and preinstall software only at the request of the customer - ie antivirus, office/open office.

Another thing that works well...like friday said...is dual-boot. Around here, I'm the only guy who knows and uses Linux, so I've got the local market cornered there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1