Amps on power supplies ?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 3593 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Amps on power supplies ?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hello i have a 850 watt power supply and have just bought a ASUS DirectCU II GeForce GTX 580 (1536 MB) and have a amd fx 8 core i have been told i need lot of amps and that the power does not matter ?? my power supply is 850 watt 4 rail which gives out 35amps per a rail ( it says ) and ive been told i need a new power supply because 35amps is to low even tho its a 850 watt ??

I have checked on the newegg power calculator and says i need 550 wats but nothing about amps...
i do not want to burn the card out or anything.. But ive been told on another forum that to less amps will blow the card... This is what ive been told

" Who knows. On good units the rails are labeled. But on a trash unit its hard to tell. Its probably not a 4 rail supply anyways, those are expensive to make. Its probably 1 rail that splits up into "4"

Your logic is good, but on a bad supply it doesn't work like that. And 400w is the maximum power you can draw from each "34amp" rail. But again, its not real 34amp rails. That would mean you have 136a of 12v power, which is 1600w of power. Good luck drawing 1600w safely from it "

Here is my power supply rating

Power Rating:
+3.3V - 24A
+5V - 30A
+12V 1 - 34A
+12V 2 - 34A
+12V 3 - 34A
+12V 4 - 34A
-12V 0.5A
+5VSB 3.0A

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 27 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Amps on power supplies ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Amps on power supplies ?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Wait, why are you concerned about amps all of a sudden?

The main concern would be two things - your total power draw (for all components) are under your total watts of power supply, and you have enough power connectors to plug into your devices. Power supplies are pretty standard in terms of design and mostly construction. Plug style A is pretty much going to be the right voltage for that device that needs it versus say connector B.

If I were you I would stop over thinking it, and get a powersupply from a reputable company... with the right number of connectors.. and move on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

The power supply has all the power connectors i need but a lot of people are telling me i wouldn't put my 250 pound gfx card near a cheap power supply like that...
If you take a look at this website
http://forum-en.msi....-graphics-cards

it says GeForce GTX 580 - 40A and a 600W PSU minimum

i have a 850 watt power supply but only 34amps. The power supply says its a quad rail with 34amps going to each rail..( has you can see at the top )

Here is my power supply:
http://www.ebay.co.u...5391986&afsrc=1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

*sigh* Yes the power rails amps add up... not to mention the pci slot itself provides some power.

Don't believe me - read up here:
http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=211124
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks so much for this :) How can i tell which rail is running what ? Im guessing one of the rails would run the molex another would run the pci express wires etc ??

So my power supply i have now should be fine has long has i put 2 rails to it ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks so much for this :) How can i tell which rail is running what ? Im guessing one of the rails would run the molex another would run the pci express wires etc ??

I have no idea what this is asking.

So my power supply i have now should be fine has long has i put 2 rails to it ?

If your numbers you provided are right, sure... but I have no idea what model your card is to actually verify it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

well this is my power supply
http://www.ebay.co.u...5391986&afsrc=1

And this is my graphics card
http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2648

i was just wondering how i would power the card. Because im guessing if i put the 2 pci express wires to it then it wouldn't be enough power because its running of the 1 rail ?? I would need to run it from 2 rails ? To get the 2x 34 amps ??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

i was just wondering how i would power the card.

You would power it by looking at the picture.. identifying the power connectors you need.. looking at your power supply.. seeing if you have enough of those connectors.. if you do great - check the amps add up to what number you think you need and plug them in and off you go.. if not then figure out if there's a power adapter you can pick up to get you the right type of connector... if one exists - make sure it works with your system.. if not then get a new power supply that has all the connectors, watts, and amps you need.

Because im guessing if i put the 2 pci express wires to it then it wouldn't be enough power because its running of the 1 rail

I have no idea what you mean by wires or why they would be of a rail..

I would need to run it from 2 rails ? To get the 2x 34 amps ??

Are you interchanging the words for the power connector and rails?

Dual 8pin Power Connector is required for the best performance

cite
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well i have two 4 pins for my motherboard coming cumming from my power supply and two 6 pins with pci on them. I have 2 6 pin to 8 pin converters so i plug in 1 of the 6 pins and a 8 pin is on the other side meaning i can turn the two 6 pins into two 8 pins but would i have enough power to run the one card from both 8 / 6 pins ??? Im guessing the two 6 pins are running of the 1 power supply rail ? Meaning i have 34amps coming cumming from the two pci 6 pins ?

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 27 June 2012 - 10:10 AM
Reason for edit:: ffs

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Typically a six pin is one of the +12v.

Im guessing the two 6 pins are running of the 1 power supply rail ?

.. hell if I know. Have you read through the wiring diagram of the psu? I sure as hell haven't. It's a safe bet that if it's a reputable company each connector will be providing its appropriate amps.

http://www.playtool....multirails.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

I will try and put the two 6 pins / 8 pins to the card and see if it runs and hope for the best.
if "Typically a six pin is one of the +12v. " Is true then i should be ok. So will just keep my fingers crossed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Report back on the smell of burnt fuses success!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well i had a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2 1024MB SLI GPU Card which is 2 cards in sli which ran fine.
Has i have said what else can i do ? I have no " wiring diagram of the psu " and i have posted on 3 different forums which some users saying i wouldn't trust my card with that psu( because of the cheapness ) and then other users on other forums saying the card only need 20 amps so 34 ont he 1 rail would be fine. <_<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Has i have said what else can i do ?

I am not sure what you are asking...

When in doubt with multiple power connectors fill all the holes and you should be covered.

Wait.. aren't you the kid who had a fist full of dollars a few months ago and were buying shit parts that were overheating because they were abused and overclocked bits? Yeah.. and the same one jacking up his power connector to the motherboard? Seriously.. It seems you are perpetually trying to leap before your look on your hardware. Ha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

well on my psu i have 2 pci 6 pins so gonna get the converter wire to convert from 6 pin to 8 pin and then i will have two 8 pins. So all the holes will covered. I just hope the power supply is a true quad rail and not a fake. and i hope that the pci wires run of there own rail.

And yer that is me. Just now i had a lot of money come my way so bought a brand new gtx 580 :whistling: and has anyone would know they do not want to blow a 350 uk pound card. I know you most probably say just go and buy a new power supply but i have to wait a few more weeks to buy one and another gtx 580...

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 27 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +