4 Replies - 4365 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Antivirus for Thesis

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I just want to ask if you know any book or technical papers and theses regarding computer viruses and anti-viruses. 'cause we're having a hard time looking for updated books regarding anti-viruses/viruses. Right now, we're just basing our documentation on the book of Mark Ludwig, The Giant Black Book of Computer Viruses and other books that are pretty out-of-date already.

First hand advices from your experiences in the industry are also welcome.

It will be very helpful for our thesis which is an anti-virus as well.

I have some questions also regarding what language is good to use for GUI and in porting our assembly codes or programs into our GUI. Thanks! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Antivirus for Thesis

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Antivirus for Thesis

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Look at the bottom of this page: there are a couple hundred anti-virus threads on this site. Have you tried a search?

To be adult-to-adult with you, anyone that joins the site then asks immediately about the ins and outs of anti-virus is generally just a hacker trying to write a virus. So we don't provide a lot of details.

The simple fact is that true anti-virus programs are written by teams of professionals that specialize in this field. They don't release the details of their work for the same reason the military doesn't release the details of the vulnerability of their systems: Its dumb to tell the enemy.

I suggest you pick a new topic for your paper because this won't be your typical school project where you can google a hundred sites and blend all the responses and call it your own work. The material is kept away from people not already in the industry on purpose.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi Sir tlhIn`toq.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I didn't search first in the forum but I assure you that I'm not one of those hackers you are talking about.

Our group is really interested in this field and though I know to myself that it will be hard for us(Specially, our thesis is project-based approach) but we all agreed that we'll do it for the reason that it is challenging in our part and again, we're interested.

This is pure basic research Sir.

Regarding changing our topic, it's a bit hard now as our thesis is project-based approach(Meaning, we have to repeat our thesis subject last term).

With time constraints upon us, I really hope you could help us. We really need it. Thanks.

P.S.

We're delimiting our project from a full blown antivirus to a simple virus detector and remover.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

Plain and simple, if you have to ask then writing antivirus software is not for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostWee03, on 27 June 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

We're delimiting our project from a full blown antivirus to a simple virus detector and remover.

When I here 'thesis' I think "a paper about or describing".
But what you're saying here sounds more like you actually plan to create software. Are you planning on creating "a simple virus detector and remover"? If you are: Stop. Creating anti-virus is not a college project for a hand full of student-rookies. Adam was not being mean, just blunt when he said "If you have to ask then you don't have the skills to do it." Most college/university courses barely teach debugging your mortgage calculator program. The advanced skills and in-depth knowledge of low-level operating system operation is just FAR beyond anything you've been taught. Pick a new topic sooner rather than later, so you have a chance to actually make something that works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1