7 Replies - 1227 Views - Last Post: 10 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

A film/CS degree. Job outlooks?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm not incredibly interested in computer science or programming, to be quite honest.
What I want to do is video game cinematics or pixar stuff. I'm very interested in 3D modeling and animation.

Currently I am taking a film degree with an emphasis that also involves computer science.
The computer science classes are:
Object Oriented Programming
Data Structures and Algorithms
Software Development
Discrete structures

I've just finished data structures and algorithms and our final project was a 3D game.

My main film classes are:
3D modeling
Advanced 3D modeling
Computer animation I
Computer animation II
(general film requirements)

Do you all think I am on the right track for a job in the video game field?
How likely is it to get a job as a character artist?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A film/CS degree. Job outlooks?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A film/CS degree. Job outlooks?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

You should be hammering more the 3d animations than programming.. unless you are looking to build auxiliary tools for 3d modelers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 June 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

You should be hammering more the 3d animations than programming.. unless you are looking to build auxiliary tools for 3d modelers.

God no I don't want to touch any type of programming.
I really don't enjoy programming at all.
Also, I am taking every single available 3D modeling and animation class at my school (University of Utah)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

I would also hit up all the job postings for cinematic folk.. pixar.. blizzard.. anyone.. and see what the requirements are.

I am not sure if a lack luster grades in a comp sci area will matter, or exactly what the curriculum outlines, but I would be spending the grip of my time making my own animation sequences and shorts.

Speaking of - do you have any online? A portfolio?

http://www.atomicmpc.../Feature/146035,eye-of-the-storm-the-blizzard-cinematics-team.aspx/1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostCrowz, on 27 June 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

PositionsTotal = (NumberOfAnimationCompanies * JobSlotsPerCompany);
PositionsAvailable = PositionsTotal - PeopleWhoDiedOrQuitSuchAgreatJob;

TotalApplicants - (NumberOfCollegesTeachingAnimation * AverageEnrollment);

Likelyhood = PositionsAvailable/TotalApplicants;

In other words, 5 jobs open up each year because every kid like yourself who gets the job would never quit. The company with the opening then promotes from within. So you should plan to start in ANY opening the company has in the mail room and work your way up. You are competing against 50,000 other graduates for these same 5 openings. That's your likelihood. I recommend doubling your odds by buying a MegaBall lottery ticket.

I have a friend that finally, at the age of 35-ish got in at a game company as an intern making characters. 6 months of probation, followed by another 6 months of intern probation. So he's still getting a paycheck but not really an 'employee' with any kind of benefits or security. He too would like to work in the movie animation field. But gaming was the closest he could get so far. But it looks better on the resume than the previous years of web design, ball room guest photographer and so on. You should accept that you'll be taking a job while waiting on a career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 27 June 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

View PostCrowz, on 27 June 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

PositionsTotal = (NumberOfAnimationCompanies * JobSlotsPerCompany);
PositionsAvailable = PositionsTotal - PeopleWhoDiedOrQuitSuchAgreatJob;

TotalApplicants - (NumberOfCollegesTeachingAnimation * AverageEnrollment);

Likelyhood = PositionsAvailable/TotalApplicants;

In other words, 5 jobs open up each year because every kid like yourself who gets the job would never quit. The company with the opening then promotes from within. So you should plan to start in ANY opening the company has in the mail room and work your way up. You are competing against 50,000 other graduates for these same 5 openings. That's your likelihood. I recommend doubling your odds by buying a MegaBall lottery ticket.

I have a friend that finally, at the age of 35-ish got in at a game company as an intern making characters. 6 months of probation, followed by another 6 months of intern probation. So he's still getting a paycheck but not really an 'employee' with any kind of benefits or security. He too would like to work in the movie animation field. But gaming was the closest he could get so far. But it looks better on the resume than the previous years of web design, ball room guest photographer and so on. You should accept that you'll be taking a job while waiting on a career.

I've had a job in a 3D software company, just as a programming intern and not a modeler. Does this help?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think you should just go for it. Get that portfolio together, work on your animation skills every spare minute, start ringing up relevant companies, set up automated email alerts from job sites for relevant roles, be prepared (or save up to) move across the country for that first crucial position.. that kind of thing. You will need to put yourself fully behind your chosen career. But I reckon you can do it. Believe. :gunsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

Animation is having a very bright future and there are large chances for success and high job profile in urban areas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1