4 Replies - 1341 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2012 - 06:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Which is best when making a complicated website? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is best for a elaborate Web Page?

1. ASP.Net (3 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. HTML & CSS (2 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Flash (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Remind me: Why ASP.Net instead of HTML?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hello everyone,

Well I graduated and now after a a month of being lazy I have decided to get to work on a personal webpage with information about me and a section for showcasing me programs.

I would like to make the site pretty spiffy with an over all theme that changes according to the date automatically. Another few ideas i have were a page with games and programs i have made that are playable right form my site. a gallery, a downloads page, sections that are like a resume.

So at first i started to make the site in ASP.Net because the use of master pages and themes, but began to think weather this was a good idea considering you rarely see pages that are in ASPX mostly in HTML.

What I would like to know is these few things.

1. Is doing the site in ASP.Net better or worse?
2. What do you suggest would be the best language to accomplish my site ideas in?
3. What would be the easiest way to accomplish the auto theme change?
4. Do you have any suggestions or ideas that would be helpful?

I really do appreciate your help and advice and valuable time.
I do know this post makes me sound like a moron or something but believe me I do have a degree lol.

Thanks and happy Coding
Mike

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Remind me: Why ASP.Net instead of HTML?

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Remind me: Why ASP.Net instead of HTML?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

You're going to be using HTML either way. ASP.NET will just give you a lot more flexibility with what your page can do. I'd say go with ASP.NET, you'll still be writing the content in HTML using CSS, but at least with ASP.NET you've got the master page, easy to use themes, database interaction if needed, and lots more.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

I think you're a little confused about what asp.net is. Asp.net works on the server side to control the logic of your application and to save/retrieve data from the database. The html/css is strictly on the client side and makes up what is viewable by the user. Asp.net and html are not independent of each other, they are used together to create the complete application.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

So at first i started to make the site in ASP.Net because the use of master pages and themes, but began to think weather this was a good idea considering you rarely see pages that are in ASPX mostly in HTML.

There are A LOT of ASPX pages out there. First that comes to mind is Newegg. Just because you don't see .aspx at the end, doesn't mean it's not an ASPX page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

View Postplasticmonkey007, on 27 June 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

You should notice how many hosting providers supports ASP.NET, if it suit your needs, if you feel comfortable with it, and not exactly how many pages around the web uses ASP.NET.

By the way, how did you came to the conclusion that there are few ASP.NET websites around the web? Not all websites written in ASP.NET ends up the URL with .aspx you know.

Some famous websites written in ASP.NET include: stackoverflow.com, dell.com, godaddy.com, nasdaq.com, microsoft.com.

And there is much more, this is just what I remember in the top of my head.

View PostNakor, on 28 June 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

I think you're a little confused about what asp.net is. Asp.net works on the server side to control the logic of your application and to save/retrieve data from the database. The html/css is strictly on the client side and makes up what is viewable by the user. Asp.net and html are not independent of each other, they are used together to create the complete application.

Exactly. Without a given scenario this question feels a little like Apples & Oranges.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1