• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

58 Replies - 4896 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2012 - 01:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A Question about an Idea I have about a new feature for video games

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

I have a question about a feature for not only computers but also console games.

Games that feature Character Creation. I don't remember the name of the boxing game right off hand but it had a character creation feature that allowed you to use the Scaling box. You could scale the boxers head, torso, and eyes to any size.

Well, here's the question. What do you all think about a feature called Barber Shop Mode?

It's a feature during character creation that you can use a 3D scissor that can clip at the vertices(since I'm familiar with Blender and Auto Desk) of the hairs and delete the strands and you don't want. You can then use another feature that will allow you to scale to make the hair spiky and choose the position of the hair? It would come with the Color Shader box so you can scale to anykind of color you want. You could also choose from some presets of straight, loose curls, tight curls, wavy,and different kinds of Afros? The same can be done to the rest of the characters body.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A Question about an Idea I have about a new feature for video games

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Question about an Idea I have about a new feature for video games

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I figure I would never use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 June 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

I figure I would never use it.

Would you use it if it were a Rpg or an Action Game? If it was user friendly? As in a few clicks and you're done?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

I think it could be interesting, but I feel it would be incredibly complex to create a system that allowed that. You'd have to have a ton of different vertices inside each hair that could be clipped, which would increase the performance overhead tremendously.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

What it sounded like is not a few clicks. I grew bored with the head/eye/hair/skin/body sharper from skyrim... and making it a "barber shop" would probably just slow me down from killing shit... you know - playing the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

You also have to be careful about visibility. There is no point in spending hours creating an intricate hair style when you won't ever be able to see it in game. Just like in skyrim, you could spend hours screwing around with hair etc, but as soon as you put a helmet on, you can't see it so whats the point.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I like extra little systems like this that are built into games, for instance during the last beta weekend event for Guild Wars 2, I probably spent 4 hours in total doing nothing but playing with the dye system and finding some awesome color combinations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well, not first person games like the Elder Scrolls but third person games.

You don't have to do the detail with the hair, just do whatever you want and move on.

Skyrim has the scroll bar with the limited preset function(not the Main Preset function)with nose,hair,eye,and hair.

It would just take me a few mins. of what I needed and I am done. If you want to spend hours designing hair then that's cool.

I would love to adjust the ears and input my own character Bio like in Mortal Kombat Deception.

As far as fighting games concerned, I would still include the Barber Shop Mode and have another feature that would allow you to select up to 6 slots of martial arts moves that behave like the other characters that's already a part of the game.

Say for example, in Slot one Ryu, Slot 2 Cammy, and Slot 3 M. Bison. You can use either of the other martial art styles or it can function to allow you to perform a combination of them. If a combination, you can name the style whatever name you want to call it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Wait.. what? Who drug in fighting games to this all, or was that the intent all along?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 June 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Wait.. what? Who drug in fighting games to this all, or was that the intent all along?

I apologize about that. I should have worded it at the beginning of this topic.
I was in a bit of a hurry as I had to check my other stuff online.

I still see that this would be a great idea if you're wanting to create your own hairstyles and stuff. Instead of detail, it could be just a few simple clicks or just from a hairstyle preset if you're in a hurry to play the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Okay so what differentiates this from something that Skyrim or Oblivion have previously done? What I am saying is I am now missing the "this is something new I want to add to my game" versus "what do you think about generic character creator option X".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 June 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Okay so what differentiates this from something that Skyrim or Oblivion have previously done? What I am saying is I am now missing the "this is something new I want to add to my game" versus "what do you think about generic character creator option X".

Simple really. I work with the Skyrim Creation Kit.
Bethesda has never done the Barber Shop concept.

Also, the difference is that in Skyrim when you scroll the bar to the left or right, you get a limited number of noses, hairs, and eyes to choose from, that's because in the Creation Kit, each race is assigned to 10 presets of facial body parts that reads from .nif files.

The main Preset function only comes with 10 presets for each race for Male/Female. Of course, you have the Nexus community where you can go to download mods to add to your game for the P.C. Now, for consoles, you cannot add Mods unless you illegally mod your PS3 and Xbox for Jtagging, which is never a good idea.

Then, there is my idea that doesn't rely on any the above. The difference is, that yes, in the Fighting games, and Rpg games, when you are creating your character, you are using a Scaling bar that can stretch the image to any size that you want as long as it isn't bizarre.
That goes for the hair,nose, ears, and etc. mainly for the hair. A simple 3D scissors with a Scale bar, if you have the time you can create whatever hairstyle you want or choose from a preset of styles.

The color shader bar, you can add any color of skin that you want. Yes they have done this with other games but I myself would like to see this concept done more often.

As a gamer, I'm not looking to be limited I would like to see more freedom to do things in creation. The same goes for fighting games with the Martial Art slots with the combination feature. The game studios will bring in more income this way.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Have read this with interest. There are issues here that every budding designer completely misses, and that is you cannot throw any desired game feature at us programmers and we will get it working. We have a number of constraints on our backs mainly involving project budget and time.

From a technical standpoint I can't see how what you are proposing can actually be implemented, as well as both programming and art huge levels of complexity bring proposed to get such a feature in a game.

To give you an idea of how much you've missed about actual implementation, can you describe how you believe such a feature can be implemented? I will return the favor by pointing out as much as I can both your misconceptions and omissions just to give you an idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostButchDean, on 27 June 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Have read this with interest. There are issues here that every budding designer completely misses, and that is you cannot throw any desired game feature at us programmers and we will get it working. We have a number of constraints on our backs mainly involving project budget and time.

From a technical standpoint I can't see how what you are proposing can actually be implemented, as well as both programming and art huge levels of complexity bring proposed to get such a feature in a game.

To give you an idea of how much you've missed about actual implementation, can you describe how you believe such a feature can be implemented? I will return the favor by pointing out as much as I can both your misconceptions and omissions just to give you an idea.

Very simple. It was done on the Xbox 360 with some boxing games here a few years back, (not the Barber Shop feature.) In the boxing game you have a Scale Box, "see attached image above" and you get to scale the bodies mesh.

You know in Blender or Auto Desk Maya, those programs have small memory when installed into the computer for use. In those programs, you have the Mesh which you can turn on the "vertices points" and use Boxlate to delete some vertices to make the image smaller or a different shape. So, the feature Barber Shop Mode CAN be programmed. If you can create a Blender or a Auto Desk program then you can use the same concept in the games.

My friend, no disrespect but you can explain to me the impossibilities until the cows come home. It's not going to register in my head. It's not by choice that I don't recognize the concept of impossibilities, it's that there is no such thing. Of course you can't breath in space.

I'm not making a request I'm just getting feedback.

I've seen all KINDS of stuff done by programmers when it comes to games now and days.

Like I said in the introduction, I know nothing about programming BUT I do know that folks can do stuff now and days. :smile2:
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Don't poke holes in the guys idea. This is how features such as 3d movement in a game were thought of. I like the thought process although there will be tough hurtles. Designing a character editor to not only allow huge manipulation on some very tiny textures and objects to not only save an image but save into a 3d model is huge... You are talking 30mb just for the hair mesh. Now anytime that character is scene it now must use 30mb of the rendering resource to show it not to mention manipulate or show other textures. Great idea but i feel it will be a few years before we see something capable of doing this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »